Coach K's last year?

balds

Reaction score
He looked miserable last night, as if it hurt to stand (back?) Also seemed to be suffering from a lot more emotion than previous tourney losses. He looked to me to be nearly in tears at several points down the stretch last night. Perhaps he knows that this was his last run and the gravity of going out like that was getting to him? The man is going on 71.

He'll be a tough act to follow at Duke.

Bet he gives it one more go, he has another great recruiting class coming in

Bet he gives it one more go, he has another great recruiting class coming in

I agree. The man has enough ego that he will want to be going out on a high note. He strikes me as always being pretty emotional after losses and if he's hurting and on meds, that could affect it too. Interesting whether when he goes if does the farewell tour or just says after a season, "I'm done."

I'd hate that to be his last half of basketball as a coach.

As much as I "hate" him and Duke, he's a fantastic coach, fantastic person by most accounts. You want guys like that to go out on a good note.

I agree. The man has enough ego that he will want to be going out on a high note. He strikes me as always being pretty emotional after losses and if he's hurting and on meds, that could affect it too. Interesting whether when he goes if does the farewell tour or just says after a season, "I'm done."

Last nights emotion struck me as the "teary-eyed sadness" variety rather than his usual "angry as hell we lost" vibe. Those in his age bracket can experience sudden declines in health, especially after a surgery. I hope that's not the case.

I'd be surprised if he retired. I only see it happening if he has health concerns. Clearly he can still recruit and field a competitive team. This was a good team with weird stuff happening all season and they got upset.

If he retires, that changes the CBB landscape as far as I'm concerned. One less power team (at least on paper) because I don't think many/any can replicated his success at Duke.

I'd be surprised if he retired. I only see it happening if he has health concerns. Clearly he can still recruit and field a competitive team. This was a good team with weird stuff happening all season and they got upset.

If he retires, that changes the CBB landscape as far as I'm concerned. One less power team (at least on paper) because I don't think many/any can replicated his success at Duke.

If/when he retires, cue up Chris Collins, maybe Mike Bray, both with Puke histories and success where they are. I can't think of any others. Most of the K tree has struggled.

If/when he retires, cue up Chris Collins, maybe Mike Bray, both with Puke histories and success where they are. I can't think of any others. Most of the K tree has struggled.
Collins is now the heir. Brey is 58 on Wednesday. Amaker was at one time, but flamed out at Michigan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Collins is now the heir. Brey is 58 on Wednesday. Amaker was at one time, but flamed out at Michigan.

I wouldn't say Collins is the heir apparent. He will probably get strong consideration once K retires, but I am willing to bet Duke would make a run at Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan before going with Collins.

I wouldn't say Collins is the heir apparent. He will probably get strong consideration once K retires, but I am willing to bet Duke would make a run at Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan before going with Collins.
You never know. Perhaps the NBA connection is what all colleges want at this point. Personally, I think Stevens would be much better at the college level. I think he should be there. However, today, Collins did something at Northwestern that is pretty special.

You never know. Perhaps the NBA connection is what all colleges want at this point. Personally, I think Stevens would be much better at the college level. I think he should be there. However, today, Collins did something at Northwestern that is pretty special.

It's not really the NBA connection, it is just the fact Stevens and Donovan are proven winners at the college level. Stevens is one of the best basketball minds in the world. Just look at Boston's team. No real superstars, although Isaiah Thomas has become a really good PG. They just run fantastic offensive sets and play tough defense. I'm not sure Steven's wants to jump ship though. Boston is in great shape cap wise and draft pick wise and are a piece or two away from being championship contenders.

I think Donovan would be more likely, especially that Durant left OKC. They are a solid team, but no longer contenders. I'm sure Duke would look at guys like Sean Miller and Gregg Marshall as well. They will have the pick of the litter once K retires.

It's not really the NBA connection, it is just the fact Stevens and Donovan are proven winners at the college level. Stevens is one of the best basketball minds in the world. Just look at Boston's team. No real superstars, although Isaiah Thomas has become a really good PG. They just run fantastic offensive sets and play tough defense. I'm not sure Steven's wants to jump ship though. Boston is in great shape cap wise and draft pick wise and are a piece or two away from being championship contenders.

I think Donovan would be more likely, especially that Durant left OKC. They are a solid team, but no longer contenders. I'm sure Duke would look at guys like Sean Miller and Gregg Marshall as well. They will have the pick of the litter once K retires.
Donovan, not Duke-ish. More Louisville/Kentucky/UCLA... Definitely not Duke

Miller-No way leaving AZ

Marshall -I could see it.

Stevens-Agreed, he's a perfect fit.

As one of the best basketball minds in the world, he may be more focused on the game than all the stuff that surrounds it, especially in college. When college guys transition to the NBA, they often cite being able to work with adults and not having to mess with recruiting, etc. as one of the reasons. I've heard some of them say they actually had more opportunity to teach basketball in the pros than they did in college. I have no idea what Stevens disposition is, but the jump from Butler to Boston suggests he might just like the basketball part of it more than managing the lives of 18-22 year-olds.

I have a hazy memory, but my recollection is that in general, the college to NBA back to college track often includes flaming out in the NBA. So far, neither Donovan or Stevens has done that. I don't see them returning to college any time soon.

We can't forget the current UCF coach Johnny Dawkins. He was a great player under Mike Krzyzewski and was a member of Duke's coaching staff for eight years.

http://ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=684&path=mbball

Unless Chris Collins really likes what he is building at Northwestern, and likes living in Chicago he has to be the guy.

For any coach to take Northwestern to where they were late in the game on Saturday against the a #1 seed is incredibly impressive. Collins is the first to ever get it done there in the modern ere, and it was not a somewhat underwhelming first round dud/ exit like our team had, they took it down to the wire against a #1.

The other key is that he is young and can take the baton from Coach K and keep things running for another 25 years.

I used to be a one who reflexively disliked Duke and Coach K. I now really like him and respect the way he has evolved in the way he recruits and how his teams play vs back in the late 80s and 1990's. As good as his teams were back then, his teams are lot more fun to watch now and play loose, aggressive basketball in general. I can see why Tyus and others went there.

I know he has a bad back, but he looked pretty uncomfortable both physically and emotionally on the sideline Sunday. He also has gained some weight and he looked like was on the cusp of something. I am not sure if that means he is considering stepping down but something is up. I'll miss him, which is a big change from 10 years ago. He is definitely at the top along with Bill Self, Miller, and maybe Callipari.

The fact that he did well coaching the Olympic Team and that the spoiled, catered to NBA players respected him and fully bought in to what he did speaks to his effectiveness as a coach.

Donovan, not Duke-ish. More Louisville/Kentucky/UCLA... Definitely not Duke

Miller-No way leaving AZ

Marshall -I could see it.

Stevens-Agreed, he's a perfect fit.

Duke is a much better job than Arizona is. Duke can probably call any coach in the country and they would at least listen when Coach K retires.

Duke is a much better job than Arizona is. Duke can probably call any coach in the country and they would at least listen when Coach K retires.

Preposterous question alert: Is Duke less desirable because any new coach would be forced to follow coach K? (i.e. how do you top that?)

Duke and IU open at the same time would be something. It would cause a lot of dominos.

Duke would have zero interest in Gregg Marshall. Stevens would be the first call, though I have no idea if he would be interested. Donovan would be up there as well. Miller might be of interest. He's still never been to a final four in 8 years at Zona so I don't think he would be the first choice. Collins is the safe third or fourth choice. That's all just as of right now. I think Coach K still has a couple more years in him, and the landscape may change between now and then. Though I do think the end is near.

Duke would have zero interest in Gregg Marshall. Stevens would be the first call, though I have no idea if he would be interested. Donovan would be up there as well. Miller might be of interest. He's still never been to a final four in 8 years at Zona so I don't think he would be the first choice. Collins is the safe third or fourth choice. That's all just as of right now. I think Coach K still has a couple more years in him, and the landscape may change between now and then. Though I do think the end is near.

Why zero interest in Marshall?

Why zero interest in Marshall?

Mostly the off-putting personality. He has shown that he can be very confrontational. That won't fly at Duke. Especially not when you have the pick of the litter. Plus he has zero experience (even as an assistant) at a major conference school. Stevens would be the only exception there. I'm not saying Stevens would take it, but there is little doubt in my mind that he will be the first call unless something drastically changes in the next couple years.

Another possibility that I haven't heard mentioned is Jay Wright.

I am not sure that Marshall's surly personality would be much of an issue considering coach K is very much a Bobby Knight disciple, with a better PR program and a filter.. Coach K is foul mouthed and exerts a great deal of control and power of anything at Duke involving his program, so he probably is not much different that Marshall in many ways.

I am not sure that Marshall's surly personality would be much of an issue considering coach K is very much a Bobby Knight disciple, with a better PR program and a filter.. Coach K is foul mouthed and exerts a great deal of control and power of anything at Duke involving his program, so he probably is not much different that Marshall in many ways.

Not sure I agree that they are similar, but even if it is true...Coach K has won 5 championships for Duke, he probably gets some extra leeway from his AD because of that. Marshall would come in as the new guy, and wouldn't have earned that same freedom. Duke would rather have Collins (who would almost certainly take the job) than Marshall. Duke fans just would not be excited about Marshall. He's just not a good fit. Duke is an elitist place, and would see Marshall as two levels below them. They just wouldn't be interested in him. I say this as someone who considers Duke my 2nd favorite team and knows many other Duke fans/alums. Marshall doesn't fit the profile. Duke will want someone more clean cut than him. And when you win 5 championships at a school they will probably give you a say in who succeeds you -- K isn't picking Marshall.

When the time comes I think Brad Stevens gets the first call. When he says no they go to Jay Wright/Billy Donovan. After that it would be whoever is doing better out of Collins/Wojo.

That's as of right now. Things can change. I think K is Duke's coach for at least 2 more years so the landscape may be different when it comes time to make a hire. A good college friend is a doctor at the Duke hospital and he told me that doctors wanted K to have his back surgery before the season and then sit out the entire year to rehab. He came back too soon and the result of that was the pain many saw on the sidelines. He doesn't have any more USA basketball stuff to deal with this offseason, and will have plenty of time to rehab. No doubt in my mind he'll be back.

I think they will hire Collins immediately if he is still at NU and still doing well, and not bother with Donovan, Stevens or anyone else. Unless the NBA really disagrees with them would those other guys even listen to an offer? Finding a way to win at Northwestern, a place with similar academic requirements to Duke's, is a big plus for Collins as well.

Assuming they do not the electric chair, I'd take the UNC job over the Duke job anyway, other than longer term fallout from the cheating scandal issue.. Ol' Roy is about done either way, he is old and the problem of decades of cheating is not going to go away. Someone is going to have to resign eventually.

What happens if UNC actually wins the tournament, then the NCAA determines Ol' Roy (and others) was up his neck in the cheating? In light of some of the other sanctions handed out over the years by the NCAA, UNC in the final four just looks bad, regardless of the rational for the delays in UNC paying the piper for all excessive cheating.

If Collins has taken NW to 3 consecutive tournaments at the time K retires then that will probably be the case. May depend on what Wojo does at Marquette, but Collins would be the favorite between the 2 right now. Collins fits the mold. Duke pedigree as player and coach, father was a successful coach, classy guy, success at a power 5 academics-focused school as HC, surely an endorsement from K...he'd be the betting favorite at this point.

Top Bottom