Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Damn, that was fun. I was annoyed at the flagrant foul call; but that crazy UConn drive to the hoop set up a classic finish.
    Itty Bitty gets it done ! What a classic and fun game to watch. I could have used a few less shots of Dak Prescott but I am thrilled Miss. State won. Nice to have different teams playing for the National Championship.

2. Default

I agreed with the flagrant foul call against MSU. I think the officials got it right. What a great game. Happy for MSU. Geno very gracious in defeat...he's friends with MSU's Schafer. Why did Chong drive to the hoop so early? Great defensive play by William to get in front of her. William is about 5'2" and she shot over 5'11' Gabby Williams for the game winner. As was pointed out on the telecast many times, UConn clobbered MSU in the tourney last year, winning by 60 points. What a turnaround.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    I agreed with the flagrant foul call against MSU. I think the officials got it right. What a great game. Happy for MSU. Geno very gracious in defeat...he's friends with MSU's Schafer. Why did Chong drive to the hoop so early? Great defensive play by William to get in front of her. William is about 5'2" and she shot over 5'11' Gabby Williams for the game winner. As was pointed out on the telecast many times, UConn clobbered MSU in the tourney last year, winning by 60 points. What a turnaround.
    By the rules, it's the correct call. What I don't like is that there was nothing called on the floor. It just doesn't seem right to go back and call a foul. What would have happened if there had been no stoppage in play between the uncalled flagrant and the end of the game?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GringaGopher View Post
    I could have used a few less shots of Dak Prescott but I am thrilled Miss. State won.
    I'm with you on the enough Dak already front. I'm happy both games played out so that Burke didn't get in her usual extended "bring back the one and one" diatribe. She tried to inject it late in the Mississippi State game but thankfully neither Lawson or O'Brien bit. It was interesting that Schaefer, probably because UConn didn't press, chose to bring the ball full court after his timeout rather than advance it at games end.

5. Default

I also would not have minded seeing less of Prescott and hearing less of Burke. Although I appreciate his passion. Seems that the telecast crews always make it a point to find out where "celebrities" or family members will be sitting. This year it's been Samuelsons' dad, Prescott, Condoleezza Rice, the young son of the Quinnipiac coach, the former UConn stars, etc. In the men's tournament, we saw more than enough of Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Bill Murray. Just as I've done a 180 on Geno over the past few years, I've also done a 180 on Doris Burke, but in the other direction. I used to like her, mostly because she was knowledgeable and well-spoken, but now I can barely tolerate her. I know she knows a lot about basketball, but does she have to spend so much time telling us that? Thankfully, they've inserted Lawson into the Final Four telecasts to dilute Burke.

On another note, I've see MSU play maybe a dozen times this year. IMO, they are an unlikely team to be in the championship game. They're talented, but not nearly as talented as you'd think a team in the Final Two would be. Plenty of flaws, but their defense is good and their effort is unquestioned.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    I also would not have minded seeing less of Prescott and hearing less of Burke. Although I appreciate his passion. Seems that the telecast crews always make it a point to find out where "celebrities" or family members will be sitting. This year it's been Samuelsons' dad, Prescott, Condoleezza Rice, the young son of the Quinnipiac coach, the former UConn stars, etc. In the men's tournament, we saw more than enough of Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Bill Murray. Just as I've done a 180 on Geno over the past few years, I've also done a 180 on Doris Burke, but in the other direction. I used to like her, mostly because she was knowledgeable and well-spoken, but now I can barely tolerate her. I know she knows a lot about basketball, but does she have to spend so much time telling us that? Thankfully, they've inserted Lawson into the Final Four telecasts to dilute Burke.

On another note, I've see MSU play maybe a dozen times this year. IMO, they are an unlikely team to be in the championship game. They're talented, but not nearly as talented as you'd think a team in the Final Two would be. Plenty of flaws, but their defense is good and their effort is unquestioned.
    I agree with the gist of what you are saying but MSU is a #2 seed and 32 and 4, so over the season they have gotten it done all year. Defense and effort goes a long way in college basketball, women's especially. Most aggressive team often wins.
    Half of UConn's starters spaced out all night long. Collier was a rock solid dependable 1st team All American all season and played totally out of character..frightened all night. Chung's play is typically characterized as heady or smart...the last drive wasn't her only melt down. Nurse was setting NCAA tournament records from 3...she had 6 points. The stage just got too big for the inexperienced UConn team. If you watched UConn vs Tulane, it was obvious this team was vulnerable.
    I will be shocked if UConn loses at any point next year.

7. Default

In the post game interview, Dawn Staley gave Fred Chmiel a shout-out for doing the Mississippi State scout.

8. Default

I wonder if he has head coach aspirations? Presumably, he does. I'd think being an assistant on a national championship team gives him a leg up.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thatjanelpick View Post
    I wonder if he has head coach aspirations? Presumably, he does. I'd think being an assistant on a national championship team gives him a leg up.
    I've wondered the same; although I don't remember his name mentioned. Along with Jeff Walz, and Marissa Mosely, that makes at least three former Gopher assistants with national titles (as an assistant) after leaving the Gophers. Could be more. I haven't really looked.