Do the Gophers have a shooting coach?

MennoSota

Reaction score
I was thrilled with this season and the unexpected quality of play from the Gophers, but other than Mason and Springs there isn't a player on the team that can shoot a quick, catch and release, three point shot. Both McBrayer and Coffey have a slow set shot for a release with really awkward form. It would be interesting to see what a top-notch shooting coach could do to help our guys become better, more consistent, shooters from the perimeter.

I don't think McBrayer and Coffey have awkward form. I think it just seems that way because they are lefty's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

McBray improved a ton. They are sidewinder, set shooters. Need more athleticism ( Springs) to be a consistent threat...See Michigan

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

At this point in their careers, can you really coach (change) them? Don't you either "have it" or you don't?

McBray improved a ton. They are sidewinder, set shooters. Need more athleticism ( Springs) to be a consistent threat...See Michigan

Wow. McBrayer and Coffey are very athletic. McBrayer has the talent and athleticism, if he gets stronger, to take over games. He did it in stretches and has a very nice pull-up jumper. Same goes for Coffey. I anticipate both of them being much better next year simply by having another year to train. McBrayer improved a ton from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. McBrayer and Coffey are very athletic. McBrayer has the talent and athleticism, if he gets stronger, to take over games. He did it in stretches and has a very nice pull-up jumper. Same goes for Coffey. I anticipate both of them being much better next year simply by having another year to train. McBrayer improved a ton from last year.

I'm referring to their 3 pt looks, everyone shoots pull up Js. At this level, they aren't doing so yet from 3 off the catch. Springs' lifts big on all shots hence being able to get it off on a dime. I've coached shooters for 35 years. McBray got closer this year. Coffey-we'll see. Thinks Wiggins and Lavine-different level, same need.

I don't disagree with their athleticism, but if neither improves their shot, they will both be great athletes playing ball in Europe.
Do the Gophers have a coach to teach kids how to shoot?
I look at Coach Beilein at Michigan who teaches his players to shoot and I wonder if there is anyone at MN who can do something similar to help our kids become better shooters.

That's the job of our staff. I think McBrayer improved a ton, and if he continues even a small trend like that will be a very good shooter. It's more recruiting than coaching. Michigan recruits shooters more than they develop them.

I don't disagree with their athleticism, but if neither improves their shot, they will both be great athletes playing ball in Europe.
Do the Gophers have a coach to teach kids how to shoot?
I look at Coach Beilein at Michigan who teaches his players to shoot and I wonder if there is anyone at MN who can do something similar to help our kids become better shooters.

Beilein recruits shooters. I don't believe he develops them. The Gophers do not recruit shooters. McBrayer improved his percentages a ton this year to last. Curry and Murphy are better shooters than they started out as. Lynch improved his offensive game a ton from the beginning to the end of the season. Coffey needs a major overhaul to be a shooter...I don't see that happening. Tweaking a shot is one thing, rebuilding a shot is completely different. Summer is the only time you can rebuild a shot...the risk is that the student doesn't get comfortable with the new mechanics. In the process they screw up the unique way they always have done it and now they can't make a basket with any consistency and their attitude is real sour. I don't know if that's what happened with Nigel Hayes or not but he pretty much went backwards as a shooter this season according to Wisconsin people. McBrayer and Coffey don't have the same stroke in my opinion. It's a lot easier to teach an 8th grade kid to shoot than it is a college player. Absolutely, you can make a kid into a shooter. Somebody who hasn't had any success and not much experience playing...pretty high percentage they can become a shooter. College guys, hundred times harder if they have a unique shot they grew up with. If it was that easy every college team would shoot lights out. I thought our guys improved a ton. When everybody said Springs was a bad shooter in the beginning of the year and not making any shots, I said he was our only shooter at the time to disagreement. He just needed to get comfortable. McBrayer came on as our second shooter imo and he's not Koenig, Walton, DJ Wilson like in any way...hopefully he'll get there.

That's the job of our staff. I think McBrayer improved a ton, and if he continues even a small trend like that will be a very good shooter. It's more recruiting than coaching. Michigan recruits shooters more than they develop them.

Sorry. You said in one line, what it took me 8. I stopped reading at the post above yours. I agree with your comments.

Sorry at this age your shot doesn't change! The only thing that changes is the accuracy with repetition. U will have 2 more good shooters next year Harris and Fitzgerald

The reason I brought this up is I seem to recall one of our players mentioning how much detail Beilein provided about improving his shot. Something about going on a recruiting visit to Michigan and Beilein had a video detailing how he would make the kid into a premiere shooter. I wish I could recall which kid brought it up. I suspect Beilein and coaches do more than we give them credit.
We have really nice wings on our team who can get to the hoop, but our ability to catch and shoot with a quick release is not presently available.

Beilein recruits shooters. I don't believe he develops them. The Gophers do not recruit shooters. McBrayer improved his percentages a ton this year to last. Curry and Murphy are better shooters than they started out as. Lynch improved his offensive game a ton from the beginning to the end of the season. Coffey needs a major overhaul to be a shooter...I don't see that happening. Tweaking a shot is one thing, rebuilding a shot is completely different. Summer is the only time you can rebuild a shot...the risk is that the student doesn't get comfortable with the new mechanics. In the process they screw up the unique way they always have done it and now they can't make a basket with any consistency and their attitude is real sour. I don't know if that's what happened with Nigel Hayes or not but he pretty much went backwards as a shooter this season according to Wisconsin people. McBrayer and Coffey don't have the same stroke in my opinion. It's a lot easier to teach an 8th grade kid to shoot than it is a college player. Absolutely, you can make a kid into a shooter. Somebody who hasn't had any success and not much experience playing...pretty high percentage they can become a shooter. College guys, hundred times harder if they have a unique shot they grew up with. If it was that easy every college team would shoot lights out. I thought our guys improved a ton. When everybody said Springs was a bad shooter in the beginning of the year and not making any shots, I said he was our only shooter at the time to disagreement. He just needed to get comfortable. McBrayer came on as our second shooter imo and he's not Koenig, Walton, DJ Wilson like in any way...hopefully he'll get there.

This 100%. Excellent post. We need to recruit better shooters, plain and simple. It looks like we did that with Harris and Washington (we hope).

Can a poor or average shooter improve? Yes. We've seen that here. Remember Damian Johnson? He went from an awful shooter to a pretty good one, but it took him four years. We had to suffer through the first part to get to the good part. I hope our current players continue to improve their shooting.

It is so much easier when you start out with a freshman that is already a good shooter. For some guys, they never get it. I used to play pick-up ball with a friend that was a great athlete, good court sense, way better basketball player than me. But I could beat him in a game of horse or free-throw contest every time. I want good players that can also beat a dork like me in "horse"!

Sorry at this age your shot doesn't change! The only thing that changes is the accuracy with repetition. U will have 2 more good shooters next year Harris and Fitzgerald
Disagree on each of your first two points. It does change through repetition of a better technique. For instance, footwork is part of the technique. Better footwork leads to more lift, lift leads to better arch.

The reason I brought this up is I seem to recall one of our players mentioning how much detail Beilein provided about improving his shot. Something about going on a recruiting visit to Michigan and Beilein had a video detailing how he would make the kid into a premiere shooter. I wish I could recall which kid brought it up. I suspect Beilein and coaches do more than we give them credit.
We have really nice wings on our team who can get to the hoop, but our ability to catch and shoot with a quick release is not presently available.
They do. Several coaches separate their talent by developing it--Greg Marshall at Wichita, for example, Beilein wherever he's been.

I'm sure our coaches work on guys shooting form just as I see every other coach in the nation doing the same.

Top Bottom