Mikyle McIntosh

Maybe we could send Ill St. Gilbert and then they could send us McIntosh

PG-Mason / Washington
SG-Coffey / McBrayer
SF-McIntosh / Hurt
PF-Murphy / Fitzgerald
C-Lynch / Curry

That would be my 10 man rotation. If Harris is legit he can get some time as a combo guard. Konate only plays if we have foul trouble or injury.

Fitzgerald is not a 4. While he could play there, he would struggle there defensively. He is a 3 who could play the 2. Curry is much better at a 4 than a 5.

In college positions don't really matter offensively. People worry way too much about that offensively. Pitino really s 3 out, 2 in more than not, and all the positions out and in are interchangeable on offense. The positions matter more based on defense and who they can guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzgerald is not a 4. While he could play there, he would struggle there defensively. He is a 3 who could play the 2. Curry is much better at a 4 than a 5.

In college positions don't really matter offensively. People worry way too much about that offensively. Pitino really s 3 out, 2 in more than not, and all the positions out and in are interchangeable on offense. The positions matter more based on defense and who they can guard.

I think Fitz will play the 3 and 4 for us. I just listed him as a 4 to have a back up at every position. I see him playing the 4 when we go small. I don't see him playing the 2. Similar reason why I put Curry at the 5. I think our front court rotation will be Lynch, Murphy, Curry, and then Fitz in spurts. The goal will be to keep Konate off the floor as much as possible. I also think Curry will put on weight and be developed as a potential starter at center for 2018, just in case Oturu isn't ready to start day 1.

My idea is that schools have to guarantee a 2 year scholarship for players out of high school. After two years, player can transfer anywhere without sitting out. At the same time, school can decide not to renew scholarship. If they stay with team, school has to honor scholarship for remainder of career. Player can transfer at any time but if it isn't after second year, they must sit out as it is now.

In my opinion, this would give the players more power, but wouldn't be a free for all it players never had to sit out for transferring.

Add to this that the scholarship can't be re-applied if the player leaves before the 2nd year...so one and dones and players who kicked off/fail out can't be replaced until after the second year.

I think Fitz will play the 3 and 4 for us. I just listed him as a 4 to have a back up at every position. I see him playing the 4 when we go small. I don't see him playing the 2. Similar reason why I put Curry at the 5. I think our front court rotation will be Lynch, Murphy, Curry, and then Fitz in spurts. The goal will be to keep Konate off the floor as much as possible. I also think Curry will put on weight and be developed as a potential starter at center for 2018, just in case Oturu isn't ready to start day 1.

Against some teams they could get away with it, but Fitz isn't big enough to guard a 4 for most Big Ten teams.

Add to this that the scholarship can't be re-applied if the player leaves before the 2nd year...so one and dones and players who kicked off/fail out can't be replaced until after the second year.

That's never gonna fly unless the NBA goes to a two year rule

Or just get rid of the one and done. Adapt something similar to baseball. You can go pro out of HS if you want, but if you don't you have to play at least two seasons in college before you can go to the NBA.

Yeah, those ISU fans do not like Minnesota very much, and apparently don't think too highly of us either. Which I suppose is understandable, especially if we are getting this player of theirs, that would be 2 in 3 years?

If anything, we should give them the chance to play us.

Yeah, those ISU fans do not like Minnesota very much, and apparently don't think too highly of us either. Which I suppose is understandable, especially if we are getting this player of theirs, that would be 2 in 3 years?

Lofton was from ISU too. I would be salty and frustrated too.

Three in four years we technically took Lofton from them too

Considering Springs practically admitted to not going to class in a post game interview I'm not sure how much of a benefit it is

He would have had to have gone to class and made progress in the Fall.

Fitzgerald is definitely not a 2 he doesn't move well enough to play the 2. He is a 3/4 and some who have seen him have compared him to a Paul Carter type player.

Coffey moves to the 2 where he belongs. Dupree found a home as a sixth man that suits him. McIntosh would give the starting 5 the 3 and D guy we lose with Springs.
Coffey struggles guarding the 2 a little more so you might see him there limited time but I doubt he spends the majority of his time in that spot. I'd be surprised if it isn't McBrayer starting at the 2 and if had to pick somebody else to start there today it would be Washington and Pitino just going with 2 PGs in the starting lineup.

3 in 4 if you count Lofton

Paul Carter could guard a 2. Have you even seen Fitzgerald play to say he doesn't move well enough? Having seen him play, he definitely could, depending on the matchup.

Paul Carter could guard a 2. Have you even seen Fitzgerald play to say he doesn't move well enough? Having seen him play, he definitely could, depending on the matchup.
Yes I've seen him myself and guys whose evaluations I trust more than myself have said the same thing.

Ryan James has called Fitz a combo forward. I don't get the sense that he's going to play the 2. James even thinks it's more likely Washington/Mason starts at the 2 than Coffey. So it sounds like Coffey will remain the starter at the 3.

My question is, and this is VERY important, does he have a cool nickname like Jelly?

Is Jelly really Isiah Washington's nickname? I thought Jelly Fam was different then his nickname

His nickname is 'Dimes'. Jelly is the name of his signature move, Jelly Fam is the me of their crew (group of friends)

His nickname is 'Dimes'. Jelly is the name of his signature move, Jelly Fam is the me of their crew (group of friends)

Well that's even better, "Dimes" is a way better nickname than Jelly. I know that was the name of his signature move, the Jelly Roll but I just thought he was nicknamed after his signature move. "Dimes" though? That is much better.

So that doesn't answer the question though, does this guy have a cool nickname? And do we have to wait until after he graduates before knowing if he is coming or not, or can it come out once Illinois St's season ends?

As someone who told everyone on this board that Coffey would be playing the 3, when a lot of people kept slotting him at one of the guard spots, Fitzgerald will not play the 2. Coaches go small much more often then big!

Fitzgerald is a combo forward probably getting most of him minutes at the 3, but he could play some 4 in a small lineup.

Well that's even better, "Dimes" is a way better nickname than Jelly. I know that was the name of his signature move, the Jelly Roll but I just thought he was nicknamed after his signature move. "Dimes" though? That is much better.

So that doesn't answer the question though, does this guy have a cool nickname? And do we have to wait until after he graduates before knowing if he is coming or not, or can it come out once Illinois St's season ends?

Good question. I think these things are all over the place as far as timing, and would be tied closely with the proximity of graduation. It seems we had a "commitment" from Springs before he graduated, but he needed to finish off his work in Milwaukee before he could come here and missed the summer. Sometimes grad transfers are announced prior to graduation anticipating they are graduating. I suspect many of them are that way. That basically means we could find out anywhere between the end of the season and the middle of the summer if we are getting this guy or any other grad transfer. Accepting a commitment like that must require a pretty thorough review of the transcripts and making sure the guy will actually graduate (and get accepted into a grad program here).

As someone who told everyone on this board that Coffey would be playing the 3, when a lot of people kept slotting him at one of the guard spots, Fitzgerald will not play the 2. Coaches go small much more often then big!

Fitzgerald is a combo forward probably getting most of him minutes at the 3, but he could play some 4 in a small lineup.

This is also probably a big reason why Gilbert is going to transfer. He'd be our 4th SF: Coffey, Fitz, Hurt, and then Gilbert. That's even assuming McBrayer and Murphy don't play any SF.

From all accounts Fitz can shoot the 3 pretty well. Imagine a lineup of Mason(or Washington) Coffey, Fitz, Murphy, Curry from a defensive length and mobility perspective.

Top Bottom