Mikyle McIntosh

Lofton was from ISU too. I would be salty and frustrated too.

Just a little musing...did everybody see that Lofton led Texas Southern to the NCCA Tournament? Yes, they got doubled by North Carolina but Lofton had a very nice season. He scored 17 points a game on the season. He is a junior. How would we have been with Lofton as another guard for depth this year and next?

Just a little musing...did everybody see that Lofton led Texas Southern to the NCCA Tournament? Yes, they got doubled by North Carolina but Lofton had a very nice season. He scored 17 points a game on the season. He is a junior. How would we have been with Lofton as another guard for depth this year and next?

How is he Junior? Was he hurt last year. Won't next year e his 7th year of eligibility

Coffey struggles guarding the 2 a little more so you might see him there limited time but I doubt he spends the majority of his time in that spot. I'd be surprised if it isn't McBrayer starting at the 2 and if had to pick somebody else to start there today it would be Washington and Pitino just going with 2 PGs in the starting lineup.

I think man to man Coffey can handle most 2 guards defensively. He has the foot speed and length to stay with them. Where he runs into problems is getting around screens and struggling to defend back cuts but that should improve with experience. You make a good point about the 2 PG lineups and long term that's what Pitino clearly wants. Coffey is a special talent though and has shown the capability to be that second ball handler Pitino covets. While I do like McBrayer a great deal he hasn't taken the strides defensively we had hoped for which is why a 6th man role makes a little more sense to me. Our defense took a step back when he entered the starting lineup so I like the idea putting another lanky wing out there with Mason and Coffey on the perimeter. At the end of the day what all this tells us is we'll have great flexibility next year. I like the idea you brought up of Washington with Mason playing off where he is a solid catch and shooter. Could give us a real lift when we are struggling offensively.

No idea...just reporting what it says on the Texas Southern roster.http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/roster/_/id/2640

I looked it up because I was curious and it is true. Graduated from Columbia Heights in 2011, one year of Prep School, one year at Illinois State, a cup of tea in dinky town, transferred to Texas Southern, must have been hur last year because he didn't play. been quite a journey for Mr Lofton who will turn 25 next season

I think if McIntosh comes, Coffey and Dupree would still start, McIntosh would backup Murphy, Curry would backup Lynch and Fitz would backup Coffey.

Or if Fitz isn't what he once was, McIntosh would backup Coffey and take up Fitz's and Hurts minutes. Curry and Konate would get minutes at PF and Center.

I don't see him starting but regardless, he would extend our rotation next year from 7-8 quality players and 2-3 guys that we reluctantly have to play to 8-9 quality players and only 1-2 more that we have to play reluctantly.

Don't really care who starts but on paper, this is exactly the type of grad transfer I'd want. A guy who can play on the wing and give us 3-point shooting but also big enough where we could conceivably run a small-ball lineup with Dupree and Coffey plus grad transfer on the floor together with any one of Lynch/Murph/Curry as your small-ball center.

At 6-foot-7, 230 pounds, McIntosh seems capable of doing that. People are way overblowing what PFs are nowadays. Malcolm Hill, Nigel Hayes, Vince Edwards, Justin Jackson, Miles Bridges, Jae'Sean Tate - all in that 6'7, 225 range as PFs. Don't need a giant to play that spot nowadays and most of those guys are essentially what people associate as old-school SFs.

Would be a really solid addition to the roster for next season. Is there room?

This is also probably a big reason why Gilbert is going to transfer. He'd be our 4th SF: Coffey, Fitz, Hurt, and then Gilbert. That's even assuming McBrayer and Murphy don't play any SF.

Unless Murphy dramatically improves his ball handling and shooting, I don't see him getting any time at SF. Agreed that he probably sees the writing on the wall though and knows he likely won't be getting any playing time.

Unless Murphy dramatically improves his ball handling and shooting, I don't see him getting any time at SF. Agreed that he probably sees the writing on the wall though and knows he likely won't be getting any playing time.

Half this board treats lineup construction like NBA 2k video games.

That person.
McBrayer could easily play some 3 with Mason and Washington at the 1 and 2 (Ryan James has even said Washington could start next to Mason). Murphy won't play the 3, but I bet Pitino would think about it before playing Gilbert. That was my point, Gilbert is transferring because he isn't going to get minutes if he stays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Are we really taking these players away or would they have transferred regardless?

Reggie wouldn't have transferred regardless. With the exception of a Duke or a Kentucky, Minnesota would have likely been the only school Reggie would have left Illinois State for. His camp contacted Pitino and let them know that he wanted to come here and Minnesota was the only school they reached out to. He never announced that he was transferring publicly to let schools know he was available. And he made it clear that he was pretty torn in the decision.

McIntosh is on ESPN right now.

McBrayer could easily play some 3 with Mason and Washington at the 1 and 2 (Ryan James has even said Washington could start next to Mason). Murphy won't play the 3, but I bet Pitino would think about it before playing Gilbert. That was my point, Gilbert is transferring because he isn't going to get minutes if he stays.

In that scenario, does he think one of them in particular would play off the ball, or does he think they would essentially share the same role? I wonder how the lack of length would affect us defensively and on the boards (not saying we can't/shouldn't do it).

It's pretty impressive that Illinois St continues to lose these guys and they are still a good team.

Great D by McIntosh there. He had to switch on to UCF's PG, stayed in front of him and forced a tough jumper.

Can he play a 4 in the big? Anyone's option that's watching?

I'm sure he could if he is really 234 but he based on the limited minutes i've seen of him, he is much quicker off the dribble than I expected and looks like a natural perimeter player. Much quicker and better handle than Hurt, Gilbert or Murphy but of course this is all based on less than a half of basketball.

Well he just made 2 clutch FT's. They were down won with 4.3 seconds left and made both putting them up one. Then with only 1.3 seconds left, he fouled the guy with the ball and put him on the line who made both FT's and UCF won. It was a pretty weak call too, all body. I'd be livid if I were ISU.

Just a little musing...did everybody see that Lofton led Texas Southern...

How would we have been with Lofton as another guard for depth this year and next?

I think he would ha e hurt the team and glad coach gave him the boot.

16.8 ppg, 42% FG and 25.8% on 128 3-balls.

I think he would ha e hurt the team and glad coach gave him the boot.

16.8 ppg, 42% FG and 25.8% on 128 3-balls.

Agreed. I think he would have hurt the team chemistry/camaraderie and introduced drama. No thanks.

Went nearly coast to coast in one of those plays. His offensive skill set reminds me a bit of Carlos Morris but with much better size and strength.

Top Bottom