Purdue football players expelled, dismissed from team after investigation in sexual..

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
...assault

"WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Three Purdue University football players have been expelled from the school and kicked off the team in connection with an alleged sexual assault.

According to the law firm that represented the family of the alleged victim, Massillamany & Jeter LLP, the move came after an investigation from Purdue University’s Administrative Board.

The players were accused in an Oct. 13 sexual assault at an off-campus home where they lived. The Tippecanoe County Prosecutor’s Office reviewed the evidence after an investigation from the West Lafayette Police Department and decided not to file criminal charges in the case.

Another woman also claimed the players sexually assaulted her. In addition, the players were accused of providing alcohol to minors and maintaining a common nuisance.

The players were suspended from the football team but allowed to go to class. That’s no longer the case, however, after the university’s decision to expel the players.

“My clients and I appreciate Purdue’s careful review of the facts and circumstances surrounding this unfortunate incident, which led to the expulsion of these three players. Purdue has taken the necessary steps to ensure that these players will not victimize another student, for which we are grateful,” said Mario Massillamany, who represented the family.

The mother of the alleged victim said the expulsion gives the family closure.

“I would like to thank Purdue University for allowing my family to receive the closure that we needed to begin the healing process,” she said in a statement provided by the law firm.

Purdue University wouldn’t comment directly on the matter, saying only in a statement:

Federal law prohibits the university from releasing specific information regarding disciplinary sanctions against a student, however, we reiterate that Purdue takes any report of sexual assault seriously. The university consistently follows its processes to ensure the rights of all parties involved are respected."

Link

The disparity of outcomes for alleged sexual assailants is troubling to me. The Vanderbilt football players received sentences up to 17 years for assaulting an unconscious woman. It seems like a tremendous disparity in punishment for sexual assault. The difference appears to be between the victims state of consent, from being unable to consent due to unconsciousness to impaired consent to alleged non-consensual or consensual or sex (and maybe changed after the fact).
This is perhaps the most consistently ambiguous criminal situation in society today, and has the potential to ruin people's' lives. IMO, both women and men need to consider their circumstances before they put themselves in jeopardy of being a victim or being accused of criminal conduct.

The disparity of outcomes for alleged sexual assailants is troubling to me. The Vanderbilt football players received sentences up to 17 years for assaulting an unconscious woman. It seems like a tremendous disparity in punishment for sexual assault. The difference appears to be between the victims state of consent, from being unable to consent due to unconsciousness to impaired consent to alleged non-consensual or consensual or sex (and maybe changed after the fact).
This is perhaps the most consistently ambiguous criminal situation in society today, and has the potential to ruin people's' lives. IMO, both women and men need to consider their circumstances before they put themselves in jeopardy of being a victim or being accused of criminal conduct.

I suspect the difference is... what they can prove in a court of law.

Every guy needs to carry a contract, have the woman sign in consent and preferably get it notorized before one eyed Pete comes out to play. [emoji41]

Every guy needs to carry a contract, have the woman sign in consent and preferably get it notorized before one eyed Pete comes out to play. [emoji41]

This is exactly why I had so little sex in college. Otherwise it would have been off-the-hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer bald-headed rat...

Probably be a good idea for both sides to consider the circumstances of any sexual encounter, but that isn't something you are suppose to say anymore.

Like it or not, D1 athletes have a big target on their backs when it comes to allegations of sexual misconduct. If you're a D1 athlete - especially at MN, you have two choices - a long-term monogamous relationship with someone you trust implicitly, or celibacy.

Anything else leaves athletes open to possible allegations - warranted or not. I suppose if you're an athlete, and want to have sex, you could ask the woman to voluntarily let you use your cell phone camera to tape a statement of consent. Or, just take your chances that the woman won't have any issues after the act, and won't call down the wrath of the EOAA.

Top Bottom