Business Journal: Gophers P.J. Fleck buys new Edina home for $3MM

I don't get that. 0.78 acres? For $3M, I'd rather have 4500 SF and a 1.5-2 acre lot. I couldn't see spending more than $500K on a house with less than an acre.

He probably doesn't want to live in Otsego or some such place in the boonies.

He probably doesn't want to live in Otsego or some such place in the boonies.

I get what Ogee is saying - I can appreciate the idea of wanting some space. But I also appreciate not having a ridiculous commute time. Not to mention, some people like being close to their neighbors and having kids be able to walk to their friends' house. To each their own, but I totally get why this neighborhood appealed to PJ and Mrs. Fleck.

Exterior of the house looks great. But the interior is a little too ritzy. And for a new house, I'm surprised they went with that style.

Exterior of the house looks great. But the interior is a little too ritzy. And for a new house, I'm surprised they went with that style.

Why? Is the interior not the Fleck's style? That would be the only reason to be surprised by the pick. If it is their style, no reason for surprise, as it would be a good pick.

Where did Jerry Kill live? Downtown along the river? I remember hearing he walked to campus.

This whole Edina thing amazes me.

I'm surprised he bought a 3 million dollar house. Makes me think he's thinking a bit longer term.

3M is a lot to put down on a house that you might be selling in a couple years.

Why? Is the interior not the Fleck's style? That would be the only reason to be surprised by the pick. If it is their style, no reason for surprise, as it would be a good pick.

Sorry, I meant I'm surprised the architect/designer went with that style when building the home. As you typically only see that style of interior from much older homes.

I don't get that. 0.78 acres? For $3M, I'd rather have 4500 SF and a 1.5-2 acre lot. I couldn't see spending more than $500K on a house with less than an acre.

Maybe it's not too late for him to renege on the deal

I'm surprised he bought a 3 million dollar house. Makes me think he's thinking a bit longer term.

It's an investment. He's thinking the profit on the resale will help pay his buyout when he leaves after winning consecutive Natty's

Here's a sneak peek a the dining room. I think Mr. Carson comes with the house.

b7a4ec54d3e9790892f763cf37470b4d.jpg
[SUB][/SUB]

Awesome! And ELITE house for our ELITE coach! Ski-U-Mah and Row the Boat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're surprised that he spent less than a year's salary on a house? This is like a person making $50,000 buying a $45,000 house. Would that surprise you?

You're surprised that he spent less than a year's salary on a house? This is like a person making $50,000 buying a $45,000 house. Would that surprise you?

He does have a point.

I get where it is, that wasn't the point. I'm just saying from a personal preference standpoint, I'll take the acreage (more privacy and distance from neighbors) over SF. My business partner just built a $1.2M house, 6000 SF on a .72 acre lot, and I shook my head at that move as well, even in a gated community. I don't like sitting on top of my neighbors, whether it's Edina or Rochester. In addition, more acreage general equals more likelihood for it to appreciate in value. In Fleck's case, I would have paid an extra 20-25% for a little more acreage, that's all. To each his own

Understand the personal preference. But from a real estate perspective, this is a much smarter buy than a larger property out in the exurbs. Edina is a very high demand market, at all times. Short commuting distance, and a good school system. Not to mention recent trends have higher demand to buy closer to the core which would make this location much better for resale than a larger lot out on the edge of town. And any time there is a downturn in the market, it is the larger acreage luxury homes on the outskirts that struggle the most and lose the most value. He is set up pretty well here.

Understand the personal preference. But from a real estate perspective, this is a much smarter buy than a larger property out in the exurbs. Edina is a very high demand market, at all times. Short commuting distance, and a good school system. Not to mention recent trends have higher demand to buy closer to the core which would make this location much better for resale than a larger lot out on the edge of town. And any time there is a downturn in the market, it is the larger acreage luxury homes on the outskirts that struggle the most and lose the most value. He is set up pretty well here.

Don't get me wrong, it's no doubt a great house. A quick search found many comparable places for sale in Edina the same size or larger (house and lot) for 2/3 the price that have been on the market for at least 9 months.

I'm going to go out on a pretty hefty limb here and speculate that he will not be mowing the lawn.

But now he only has to pay the neighbor's kid $10 to mow his lawn instead of $20.

Your talking about resale value? Why? Him buying this house is apparently proof he is here for the long run. He doesn't care about resale value 50 years from now.

Less lawn mowing to do

I thought I heard that Gopher Hole posters were going to rotate taking care of the yard so yes, less mowing for him in a sense. Fleck was being sensitive to folks on the board here.

Generally very true. I lived in Edina for a bit during my first marriage and there's about a 20% premium for that zip code for the reasons outlined by DL65. I think the fact this is new construction probably gives the price tag a considerable boost.

Fleck has said his ultimate goal is to win a Super Bowl.

So he will be at The U until he gets a NFL job, gets a job at a higher profile P5 that could better help him get a NFL job, or gets fired.

So he will be at The U until he gets a NFL job, gets a job at a higher profile P5 that could better help him get a NFL job, or gets fired.

So the Vikings, then. It all comes together with RTB. Ambitious guys like Fleck don't stay in one place too long. They don't want to be king of the town, they want to be king of the world. Let's enjoy the ride, win a lot of games, build the brand and facilities, and not get too attached.

Nice house, BTW.

A coach who isn't an Xs and Os guy, is a motivator, and who fancies himself as a recruiting guru can be a fantastic fit in CFB. Not really in the NFL.

I haven't seen the Fleck Super Bowl quote. Not saying it doesn't exist. But Fleck's philosophy surrounding "culture", motivational acronyms and general approach to building life skills/character don't feel compatible with the NFL. He strikes me as a guy that wants to control an entire system that he can create and evolve with players that are moldable and impressionable. If he can do this at Minnesota and have success, I believe he'll be here for a long time. Jumping to the NFL wouldn't be a concern for me. I'd be more concerned with a lack of wins or lack of support/authority within the MN athletic department as factors for him leaving at some point.

Zero chance you're still tasting sour grapes from WM, right?

Top Bottom