Reusse: Gophers took advantage of a softer-than-usual BT schedule for win streak

They played well and had a decent record in the difficult part of the schedule and won a couple against top teams toward the end, the first part is just wrong. Pitino doesn't develop the marginal talent at all, they are no better entering the program than when they leave. If you miss on a couple recruits and have an injury this is what happens. I wouldn't get your hopes up to high on Harris.

Curious what your definition of marginal talent would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAT PAT looking like an idiot now. B1G looking pretty darned good right now. Hope someone who knows him, like Sid, doesn't EVER let him live it down.

Boy, Reusse, the Gophers sure took advantage of a "soft" Big Ten this year... at least three conf. teams in the Sweet 16... oh ya sure... soft...

Don't forget Northwestern giving Gonzaga a run. And, oh, ya, Arkansas is giving #1 seed North Carolina all they can handle. Gophers don't have to apologize for anything this year.

Our win streak in the Big 10 this year was as many games as we won in total last year.

I think everyone agrees that we have room to grow and will have higher expectations next year, but this was a great year considering that last year was the worst year (by winning percentage) in the past 75 years.

Gophers had 8 wins over the round of 64 teams.
Gophers had 5 wins over the round of 32 teams.
Gophers had 2 wins over the round of 16 teams. Could have been 3 if stupid Arkansas hadn't blown the lead they had over UNC.

And yes, NW put up a really good game vs a #1 seed, and so did MSU until the last couple minutes of the game.

The B1G did very well this March. And I think the Natl media actually noticed this and acknowledged this, too. Might help come next year when all the preseason polls come out? And had the Gophers not lost Springs, we might have added to that, maybe even beating Butler and UNC, who obviously are beatable if Arkansas can come so close to beating them.

Next year is going to be a very fun season, I am already counting down the days.

He's trolling. Pat loves being a dickhead. Check out the SOS. The Gophers didn't play a weak schedule.

On the other hand.....I completely agree with his assessment of Gilbert. He's shown more than Hurt......yet never saw the floor. Killed our depth when Springs got injured. Some regular minutes throughout the season would have helped.

FAT PAT looking like an idiot now. B1G looking pretty darned good right now. Hope someone who knows him, like Sid, doesn't EVER let him live it down.

"EVER" isn't a long time when it comes to Sid.

I disagree with a lot of what was posted in this thread from Reusse, but the only thing than can demonstrably be proven false is the idea that Gilbert could help out as a ball handler. That might be the weakest are of his game. He doesn't have a good handle and on top of that he's not very fast or quick for his size/position which is something that Pitino has said he needs to work on publicly in several different forums (his blog and on Pat's own radio station to name two).

The thing that really disturbs me about this is not so much Pat's opinion/take is that there is no real counterbalance in this market. In plenty of markets, I might even say the majority, there would have been articles written about how the Gophers could have been B1G champs this year. They would have mentioned how we got Purdue and Northwestern as road only opponents and had to play Maryland, MSU, and Wisconsin twice while missing out on second games with Nebraska and Rutgers. The 15 point halftime leads squandered against MSU and PSU would have been discussed as would some of the officiating calls that went against the Gophers late in a number of crucial losses (Yes Iowa fans, we could point to more than one questionable call that hurt us this year).

I am not saying the second hypothetical column is more valid than what Pat wrote, just that it's disappointing that there isn't a counter balance in this market. Some people call Sid a "homer" which I find laughable because he always writes about what a terrible job the U is for football or basketball and how we should have kept some coach with a losing conference record because we'd never do better.

He didn't say that Gilbert could handle the ball, he said that additional PT for Gilbert could've been facilitated by giving Coffey some run at point.

Boy, Reusse, the Gophers sure took advantage of a "soft" Big Ten this year... at least three conf. teams in the Sweet 16... oh ya sure... soft...

I think he was referring to the 8 game winning streak. Only 2 of the wins were against NCAA teams and one of those was against Maryland which in retrospect was in a free fall. They other win was against Michigan, which in hindsight may be the Gophers most impressive of the season (even at Purdue).

Top Bottom