Reusse: Gophers took advantage of a softer-than-usual BT schedule for win streak

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

In the end, the Gophers took advantage of a softer-than-usual Big Ten to put together an eight-game winning streak and peak at 11-6 in the conference, and then this happened:

They were terrible in the second half and lost at Wisconsin to end the regular season. They had a double-bye in the Big Ten tournament and outmuscled Michigan State in the quarterfinals. They were awful in losing to Michigan in the semifinals. And then they became the best-seeded team in Gophers’ history to lose in the NCAA’s first round.

Not much of a finish.

The excuse of the Akeem Springs’ injury will be offered by many as a big factor in those last two losses, but the absence of depth is also on Pitino.

Ahmad Gilbert, a sophomore of some talent, was buried all season in what seems an obvious attempt to get him to transfer and seize the scholarship. He could have played some, with Coffey as co-handler of the ball with Mason, but after sitting all season, it was too late for Gilbert to help after Springs was hurt.

Good season. Far from the great the maroon zealots want to offer.

http://www.startribune.com/loss-as-...ded-gophers-to-lose-in-first-round/416434553/

Go Gophers!!

per Pat:

In the end, the Gophers took advantage of a softer-than-usual Big Ten to put together an eight-game winning streak and peak at 11-6 in the conference, and then this happened:

They were terrible in the second half and lost at Wisconsin to end the regular season. They had a double-bye in the Big Ten tournament and outmuscled Michigan State in the quarterfinals. They were awful in losing to Michigan in the semifinals. And then they became the best-seeded team in Gophers’ history to lose in the NCAA’s first round.

Not much of a finish.

The excuse of the Akeem Springs’ injury will be offered by many as a big factor in those last two losses, but the absence of depth is also on Pitino.

Ahmad Gilbert, a sophomore of some talent, was buried all season in what seems an obvious attempt to get him to transfer and seize the scholarship. He could have played some, with Coffey as co-handler of the ball with Mason, but after sitting all season, it was too late for Gilbert to help after Springs was hurt.

Good season. Far from the great the maroon zealots want to offer.

http://www.startribune.com/loss-as-...ded-gophers-to-lose-in-first-round/416434553/

Go Gophers!!

Eat a dick Reusse, we played by far the Toughest schedule in the league. We played, Mayland and Wisconsin twice, Sparty twice and Purdue on the road, four of the other top five teams twice. Go eat a bag of dicks you dry drunk.

I actually feel sorry for Pat. Most everything he writes or says on the radio has some sort of negative spin on it. Must really suck to go through life with that type of attitude.

Drivel and speculation to tear down a good season. The chop on Gilbert is grossly unjust. There is no way the coach would keep a guy on the bench who could contribute meaningful minutes to try to grab the scholarship. That's just pot stirring. Anyone who saw Ahmad play this year saw his serious defensive lapses. When defense is your identity, you can't have players on the floor who can't guard people. That's why he didn't see the floor.

If he wasn't an idiot and stirring the pot, he would acknowledge what anyone who reads this board knew the day the schedule came out. The front nine was a bear and if they survived it they had a chance at a nice season. They did exactly that with limited offensive skills in a number of players.

I knew if we lost the media sharks were ready to attack a team who exceeded expectations. It's crazy how the local media looks for ways to tear down our sports programs.

I actually feel sorry for Pat. Most everything he writes or says on the radio has some sort of negative spin on it. Must really suck to go through life with that type of attitude.

I don't feel sorry for him anymore as he has made his bed kind of like a couple posters on these boards. What I find is disgusting though is that many people feel that his negative attitude is the way to go for personal satisfaction. When that happens you have many more of these people compounding about as negativity breeds. As a result of that we have to take the time to baby sit these people as they simply don't get it.

Reusse is what he is. Waste of time to get upset or offended by anything he says because he is just doing what he is supposed to do by trying to piss people off. Some of his points in the story are legit, others are not, don't really see a point in getting overly worked up about it because this was a totally predictable article from him.

Negative articles must get clicks for him. Don't like him at all for it, but it's what he does. And you know if we would have made a final four run he'd be riding the wave along with everyone else. Such is the life for Minnesota sports for the last couple decades.

I think of myself as being unbiased as a season ticket holder of four programs and have been critical of how slow the program was to put defense first. However, to throw dirt on the progress the program made is very short sighted. Despise the media for putting everything on the tournament to evaluate the season. To all the players and staff, bravo for the season.

I've said in the past, that I won't state one way or another whether or not I believe in the existence of some sort of a "Hell"? But people like FAT PAT better hope there isn't such a place, because there is a very good chance that is where he'd end up.

And if his boss asks him to go so out of his way to be such a massive PRICK, then they are both in danger of going to that place, IF it exists. Since I doubt any kind of higher power, IF such a power exists, would accept as an excuse, that going negative supposedly brought in more money?! Some say that The love of money is the root of all evil, or something like that.

What a dik. Soft because they lost to a good team?. Moron doesn't know what he is talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

This website (GH) simply has to be a major source of entertainment for Pat; a huge majority of what he writes is to get a rise out of the posters here. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know why we choose to give him the satisfaction.

His traffic would probably be reduced to a fraction if Bleed refrained from starting threads linking Pat's articles (not a slam on you, Bleed).

Drivel and speculation to tear down a good season. The chop on Gilbert is grossly unjust. There is no way the coach would keep a guy on the bench who could contribute meaningful minutes to try to grab the scholarship. That's just pot stirring. Anyone who saw Ahmad play this year saw his serious defensive lapses. When defense is your identity, you can't have players on the floor who can't guard people. That's why he didn't see the floor.

If he wasn't an idiot and stirring the pot, he would acknowledge what anyone who reads this board knew the day the schedule came out. The front nine was a bear and if they survived it they had a chance at a nice season. They did exactly that with limited offensive skills in a number of players.

Agreed!

Negative articles must get clicks for him. Don't like him at all for it, but it's what he does. And you know if we would have made a final four run he'd be riding the wave along with everyone else. Such is the life for Minnesota sports for the last couple decades.

On Twitter, he has tons of people try to kiss his ass by piling on top of his negative takes. The cross section is essentially the typical poster in newspaper comments sections. It's just a big circle jerk.

His agenda is just so laughable at this point. How were were awful losing to Michigan by 7 points? Michigan has won 11 of their last 13 games, with their only 2 losses being to us in OT and @NW by 2 points.

This website (GH) simply has to be a major source of entertainment for Pat; a huge majority of what he writes is to get a rise out of the posters here. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know why we choose to give him the satisfaction.

His traffic would probably be reduced to a fraction if Bleed refrained from starting threads linking Pat's articles (not a slam on you, Bleed).

Bleed does it right. He copies the meat to this site and provides the link if you are so inclined to click. I refrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeez, people. Reusse's shtick is to poke people in the eye and see what type of reaction he gets. A lot of people were talking up the Gophers and Pitino, and pointing to the #5 seed as a big accomplishment. So, Reusse is doing what he always does - take the other point of view and see if he can rile up people. when you react, he wins.

It's just like Trump - you can't take what Reusse says literally. It's all designed to produce an effect.

He's just an ornery creepy old grouch at this point. Lucky to work for 1500 who apparently are okay with their drive guy no longer working on Friday.

On Twitter, he has tons of people try to kiss his ass by piling on top of his negative takes. The cross section is essentially the typical poster in newspaper comments sections. It's just a big circle jerk.

Funny, I just realized Reusse has me blocked on Twitter. What a dork.

Pat is talented but LAZY. A negative article can be written from a couch with a double cheeseburger in hand- no effort required...just pop off a little and turn the article in.

Im a KFAN guy. Haven't listened to a second of that station unless it's a Gophers game.

Judd and Mackey are actually pretty good compared to the KFAN morning stuff. They actually talk a lot of Gopher stuff. KFAN morning show is fun to listen to, but you never get any actual talk or info regarding the Gophers from them. And PA is just terrible to listen to. He talks like a 15 year old who just learned about girls, and talks way to much Vikings.

It's the purely negative view. Not wrong, but of course, still plenty of good things happened big picture with the rapid 1 year turnaround and victories over many tournament teams.

We need more realism than homerism - especially with the recent track record of Gopher hoops. Want to be a top 15 program? You better be ready to live with the annual expecations.

I disagree with a lot of what was posted in this thread from Reusse, but the only thing than can demonstrably be proven false is the idea that Gilbert could help out as a ball handler. That might be the weakest are of his game. He doesn't have a good handle and on top of that he's not very fast or quick for his size/position which is something that Pitino has said he needs to work on publicly in several different forums (his blog and on Pat's own radio station to name two).

The thing that really disturbs me about this is not so much Pat's opinion/take is that there is no real counterbalance in this market. In plenty of markets, I might even say the majority, there would have been articles written about how the Gophers could have been B1G champs this year. They would have mentioned how we got Purdue and Northwestern as road only opponents and had to play Maryland, MSU, and Wisconsin twice while missing out on second games with Nebraska and Rutgers. The 15 point halftime leads squandered against MSU and PSU would have been discussed as would some of the officiating calls that went against the Gophers late in a number of crucial losses (Yes Iowa fans, we could point to more than one questionable call that hurt us this year).

I am not saying the second hypothetical column is more valid than what Pat wrote, just that it's disappointing that there isn't a counter balance in this market. Some people call Sid a "homer" which I find laughable because he always writes about what a terrible job the U is for football or basketball and how we should have kept some coach with a losing conference record because we'd never do better.

Jeez, people. Reusse's shtick is to poke people in the eye and see what type of reaction he gets. A lot of people were talking up the Gophers and Pitino, and pointing to the #5 seed as a big accomplishment. So, Reusse is doing what he always does - take the other point of view and see if he can rile up people. when you react, he wins.

It's just like Trump - you can't take what Reusse says literally. It's all designed to produce an effect.
Reusse is a god among journalists.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Judd and Mackey are actually pretty good compared to the KFAN morning stuff. They actually talk a lot of Gopher stuff. KFAN morning show is fun to listen to, but you never get any actual talk or info regarding the Gophers from them. And PA is just terrible to listen to. He talks like a 15 year old who just learned about girls, and talks way to much Vikings.

That's fair. Ill give em a listen. I hate the KFAN Power Trip show. Too smutty, almost zero sports.

They played well and had a decent record in the difficult part of the schedule and won a couple against top teams toward the end, the first part is just wrong. Pitino doesn't develop the marginal talent at all, they are no better entering the program than when they leave. If you miss on a couple recruits and have an injury this is what happens. I wouldn't get your hopes up to high on Harris.

Boy, Reusse, the Gophers sure took advantage of a "soft" Big Ten this year... at least three conf. teams in the Sweet 16... oh ya sure... soft...

Top Bottom