Lynch

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
He was a man playing with boys. They win if he doesn't get foul 2 or 3. He needs to learn how to stop fouling. He consistently takes awful fouls.

His third might be the singularly stupidest foul I have ever seen. No point to it and no benefit. Ridiculous.

Third foul was just a pure dumb frustration foul. The second one seemed a little weak. Maybe that one was for body contact, but I don't think he touched the shooter's arm.

Third foul was just a pure dumb frustration foul. The second one seemed a little weak. Maybe that one was for body contact, but I don't think he touched the shooter's arm.

But why was he frustrated? Because he lost the ball? Beyond stupid.

He's a great shot blocker, which makes his play so frustrating. The majority of his fouls don't come when he's trying to block shots.

He was a man playing with boys. They win if he doesn't get foul 2 or 3. He needs to learn how to stop fouling. He consistently takes awful fouls.

His third might be the singularly stupidest foul I have ever seen. No point to it and no benefit. Ridiculous.

He did a much better job of avoiding the stupid fouls later in the season but yeah he totally lost his head on #3 today and it was a killer for the team. I am encouraged by the fact that we could see a change in his game as the season went on. With an off season to study game film and work on technique he has the potential to fix the problems from this year and become even more of a beast moving forward.

That's the frustrating part, is that Lynch has excellent instincts and body control. Konate gets fouls because he has no control over his body, and just runs into people because he doesn't know where to be, or what to do when he gets there. When he gets into foul trouble, it's kind of hard to be surprised, and to think that it's inevitable. But it's not inevitable for Lynch. He knows how to play the game. So when he slaps people because he's upset, or goes over the back, and it harms the team, it's silly. However, I think these things are fixable. The reason Lynch started fouling out less down the stretch in the Big Ten, is that he started getting some benefit of the doubt because he was getting the rep as a good defensive player. That'll be even more helpful next year, when he's reigning defensive player of the year.

It seemed to me that he even slapped the guy in the face so it could have been worse had they reviewed the tape; flagrant foul. The announcer then said that Lynch told Pitino to chill. Anybody else see him do that?

I saw one of his fouls were he was acting as though he went straight up to block a shot but he clearly brought his arm down onto the shooters arm. If he has just left it straight up, his hand would have been 3 feet above the shooters release point and he would have been fine.

Of course, Murphy fouled the kid too, but Reggie could have easily avoided the foul.

It seemed to me that he even slapped the guy in the face so it could have been worse had they reviewed the tape; flagrant foul. The announcer then said that Lynch told Pitino to chill. Anybody else see him do that?

I only heard the announcers say it. I didn't see the interaction. If Reggie is telling the coach to chill after a game-changing mental mistake, it says something about his maturity. He got a lot better as the season went on. There is good reason to be hopeful going into next year.

I only heard the announcers say it. I didn't see the interaction. If Reggie is telling the coach to chill after a game-changing mental mistake, it says something about his maturity. He got a lot better as the season went on. There is good reason to be hopeful going into next year.

Pitino was rightfully pissed after that third foul because of how pointless it was. The whole team was frustrated for most of the game yesterday and just never seemed to get into any kind of rhythm. Unfortunate way to end what was a very fun season.

I would expect huge things from Lynch next year as a senior. If he really applies himself this off-season as many have said most of his issues are fixable.

Maybe I'm way off base here (wouldn't be the first time), but learning the game as a youngster many, many years ago, I had always heard/been taught that you can try and protect a guy who's in foul trouble by moving to a zone defense. Is this something that the Gophers need to consider next year, especially if foul trouble continues to be an issue?

Pitino was rightfully pissed after that third foul because of how pointless it was. The whole team was frustrated for most of the game yesterday and just never seemed to get into any kind of rhythm. Unfortunate way to end what was a very fun season.

I would expect huge things from Lynch next year as a senior. If he really applies himself this off-season as many have said most of his issues are fixable.

I'm not sure how you work on not committing dumb fouls without playing in games though. It's not the same as going into the gym and putting up thousands of shots to improve your shooting. You pretty much need to be playing games to work on it, something he won't be doing much of in the off season. I'm not sure we'll see a huge improvement until possibly, November or December, assuming he focuses on it in the non-conference schedule.

I honestly think the best case scenario for us would be to bring in a grad transfer center that has the ability to start and then bring Lynch off the bench. I know the likelihood of that is almost zero, but I think it would do wonders for our team next year.

I think the player maybe snapped his head back and put his hand on his face, but I think Lynch hit him in the chest or torso.

I absolutely hate to say this, but I watched the Badger game in the evening and observed how they play interior defense. Maybe not the perfect example, as Happ did end up sitting in the first half with two fouls, BUT when the player they're defending catches the ball with good position, they don't try to block or prevent every basket, they just keep their hands up and bother the shooter and hope for an errant shot. The other thing that good interior defending teams do is take advantage when the post player hesitates or dribbles. When they come with a second defender, that player is looking to strip the ball or tie it up. Our bigs fall victim to that but rarely inflict that on other teams. There's some position coaching that needs to happen here.

I don't know if he said anything, but he walked back up the court, turned, and put his hands out palms down. He moved them up and down several times while looking at Pitino, who was visibly pissed. Pitino was reaming him when he walked by to the bench, but pretty sure Reggie never said anything, but the motion was telling Pitino to calm down.

I honestly think the best case scenario for us would be to bring in a grad transfer center that has the ability to start and then bring Lynch off the bench. I know the likelihood of that is almost zero, but I think it would do wonders for our team next year.

We would have gone nowhere without Lynch this year. We just need a capable backup for him. Bakary just isn't good and Curry is only an option in certain matchups.

We would have gone nowhere without Lynch this year. We just need a capable backup for him. Bakary just isn't good and Curry is only an option in certain matchups.

That's the frustrating part about the roster. too many "empty" scholarships - Gaston, Gilbert, etc. Gophs just have too many people sitting on the bench who don't provide anything to the team. I had a little hope for Gilbert last year, but for whatever reasons, he has contributed nothing this season. Also, considering what Hurt did, they might have been better off red-shirting him. In fact, if he's not going to contribute any more next season, I think they should consider having him red-shirt.

And - just thought of this - what happens if Fitzgerald doesn't get injured? how does that change the season? having one more capable option at the end of the year could have made a huge difference. If Fitzgerald can come back next year and just give them 10-12 good minutes a game, that could be really valuable.

That's the frustrating part about the roster. too many "empty" scholarships - Gaston, Gilbert, etc. Gophs just have too many people sitting on the bench who don't provide anything to the team. I had a little hope for Gilbert last year, but for whatever reasons, he has contributed nothing this season. Also, considering what Hurt did, they might have been better off red-shirting him. In fact, if he's not going to contribute any more next season, I think they should consider having him red-shirt.

And - just thought of this - what happens if Fitzgerald doesn't get injured? how does that change the season? having one more capable option at the end of the year could have made a huge difference. If Fitzgerald can come back next year and just give them 10-12 good minutes a game, that could be really valuable.

Hurt should have redshirted. Total minutes played not worth the year of eligibility.

Hurt should have redshirted. Total minutes played not worth the year of eligibility.

Redshirting players in basketball is different than in football. That also means he ties up a scholarship for five years. Are the contributions he is eventually hopefully going to provide worth an additional year without the scholarship for someone else who can contribute right away? Add in some transfers who are not eligible to play the first year along with somebody who gets hurt and pretty soon you have no available numbers but all your scholarships are gone.

I imagine there will be a bit more zone next season to protect Lynch.

Redshirting players in basketball is different than in football. That also means he ties up a scholarship for five years. Are the contributions he is eventually hopefully going to provide worth an additional year without the scholarship for someone else who can contribute right away? Add in some transfers who are not eligible to play the first year along with somebody who gets hurt and pretty soon you have no available numbers but all your scholarships are gone.
Wisconsin seems to be only team that regularly red shirts

zone

That is one reason we should play a dabble of zone.
Another would be we could practice against a zone.
It's nice when a team calls a timeout to set something up against our man defense to play a zone for one play.

I imagine there will be a bit more zone next season to protect Lynch.

Top Bottom