Big Ten is Suffering this year

37score

Reaction score
Hard to say how fast the Big Ten will bounce back.
MN gone.
MD gone.
NW beat a borderline bubble team in Vandy.
Purdue fighting off Vermont.

Hopefully next year they are better.

The Big Ten isn't that down. No elite teams. A bunch of good teams.

I bet they get 2 sweet sixteen teams. 1 elite 8.

Hard to say how fast the Big Ten will bounce back.
MN gone.
MD gone.
NW beat a borderline bubble team in Vandy.
Purdue fighting off Vermont.

Hopefully next year they are better.

It isn't over yet. Conference went 3-2 and our loss was not exactly a shocker since MTSU was favored by the time the game rolled around. Wisconsin strikes me as a team that could give Villanova some problems and if Michigan State wins tomorrow they could make things tough on Kansas as well. Not sure anyone expects big things out of the Big Ten teams this year but there is still potential for the conference to make some noise in this tournament. Purdue is very solid and although they didn't dominate today they got the win.

Assuming MSU wins, 3 Big Ten teams will have a shot at taking down #1 seeds on the weekend. I wouldn't be shocked at all if at least one of them gets the job done.

Of course Wisconsin wins.

Wisconsin was criminally under-seeded. The people who should be most upset about this are Villanova. With the weakness they showed in the first half against Mount St. Mary's, they shape up as upset bait Saturday.

Most obvious thing about the Wisconsin game...seniors, playing fearlessly like seniors & tournament experience. Koenig was spectacular....

I agree with others, grossly underseeded, however, I don't see them getting past 'Nova. Experience meets experience, with the talent barometer up more for 'Nova.

Wisconsin was criminally under-seeded. The people who should be most upset about this are Villanova. With the weakness they showed in the first half against Mount St. Mary's, they shape up as upset bait Saturday.

I thought it was a typical 8-9 game, while sconnie should have been a six IMO VA Tech was in it until the end, they got Koeninged! us and Xavier know how that feels

You might be premature with your conclusions. BIG is now 4-2 with Izzo on deck. Doesn't look like suffering to me. I guess 7-0 is your standard.

Michigan Still Rolling!!

shot lights out from 3!!

4-2 doesn't sound like a reeling conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4-2 doesn't sound like a reeling conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully I spoke too soon.

Looks like only three upsets so far by seed number.

MN, MD, and SMU losing.

Two of those are Big Ten.

Hopefully I spoke too soon.

Looks like only three upsets so far by seed number.

MN, MD, and SMU losing.

Two of those are Big Ten.

Big Ten pulled an upset (by seed number).

Michigan State Wins!

Only a handful of upsets by seed for the first round.

# 5 MN,
#6 MD,
#6 SMU,
#8 Miami,
#6 Creighton,
#7 Dayton

I think that's it so far.

Big Ten Matchups Tomorrow

#1 Villanova vs #8 Wisconsin
#1 Gonzaga vs #8 Northwestern
#1 Kansas vs #8 Michigan State
#2 Lousiville vs #7 Michigan
#5 Iowa St vs #4 Purdue

Only in one game do we have the higher seed.

If the Big Ten is going to get some recognition for being tougher than expected, it will happen in the next 48 hours.

Two sweet sixteen teams would probably be a good showing.

I expect MTSU to crush Butler tomorrow by the way.

Big Ten pulled an upset (by seed number).

Michigan State Wins!

Only a handful of upsets by seed for the first round.

# 5 MN,
#6 MD,
#6 SMU,
#8 Miami,
#6 Creighton,
#7 Dayton

I think that's it so far.

Big Ten Matchups Tomorrow

#1 Villanova vs #8 Wisconsin
#1 Gonzaga vs #8 Northwestern
#1 Kansas vs #8 Michigan State
#2 Lousiville vs #7 Michigan
#5 Iowa St vs #4 Purdue

Only in one game do we have the higher seed.

If the Big Ten is going to get some recognition for being tougher than expected, it will happen in the next 48 hours.

Two sweet sixteen teams would probably be a good showing.

I expect MTSU to crush Butler tomorrow by the way.

ISU vs Purdue will be a clash. Cyclones are peaking right now.

"criminally under-seeded"?? Are you serious? BEFORE they lost to 5 straight unranked teams or whatever it was, when they only had like 2 or 3 losses and were ranked Top Ten, the SC didn't even have them in their Top 16. Because they lacked any decent wins.

Before the game where Wisconsin beat our Gophers, the Gophers had something like twice as many Top 50 wins as Wisconsin.

"criminally under-seeded"?? Are you serious? BEFORE they lost to 5 straight unranked teams or whatever it was, when they only had like 2 or 3 losses and were ranked Top Ten, the SC didn't even have them in their Top 16. Because they lacked any decent wins.

Before the game where Wisconsin beat our Gophers, the Gophers had something like twice as many Top 50 wins as Wisconsin.
. 4th year in a row sweet 16. Heck of a program.

You will continue to have problems understanding why Wisconsin and not Minnesota as long has you hang on to your rudimentary understanding of RPI and other analytics as your sole justification for why you lost and why Wisconsin did not lose.
Suggestion. Don't look for only analytics that tend to favor your team. It only will lead to disappointment. Use a good combination of sources such as T-rank, Kenpon, Sagarian to name a few to help you understand.
In the end. Sometimes the other team just wins because they want it more.

They seem to every year. Irritating, but have to respect the accomplishment.

As much as I despise them, they saved the Big Ten's bball reputation from the media persecution it was (undeservedly) receiving; and with NU's tough showing against Gonzaga, pretty much proving the polls wrong as well. There is a lot to be said about a conference in which 11 or 12 of 14 teams are good enough to beat some of the top teams in the country on any given night, even if none of them are good enough to truly be top dog.

Seeding never accounts for the timing of a team peaking, or even being on an upswing. That's what happens when you try to use past performance as an indicator of future play.

Gophers peaked too early. Wisconsin peaked at the right time.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

You will continue to have problems understanding why Wisconsin and not Minnesota as long has you hang on to your rudimentary understanding of RPI and other analytics as your sole justification for why you lost and why Wisconsin did not lose.
Suggestion. Don't look for only analytics that tend to favor your team. It only will lead to disappointment. Use a good combination of sources such as T-rank, Kenpon, Sagarian to name a few to help you understand.
In the end. Sometimes the other team just wins because they want it more.

Most in here, if not all, are NOT saying Minnesota is/was better than Minnesota, although I suspect some believe they WERE before Springs went down. I'm one of those people.

But what we ARE saying, is that Minnesota's NCAA tourney Resume was BETTER than Wisconsin's, and why they got the #5 and Wisconsin only got an #8.

And there can not be any denying that Minnesota's NCAA tourney resume was better than Wisconsin's, and the NCAA Selection Committee apparently agreed, and it wasn't even close, a #5 to an #8.

. 4th year in a row sweet 16. Heck of a program.

Did I say they weren't a heck of a program? NO. I simply stated THE FACT, that they had the better NCAA tourney resume, and the NCAA Selection Committee agrees with me.

Seeding never accounts for the timing of a team peaking, or even being on an upswing. That's what happens when you try to use past performance as an indicator of future play.

Gophers peaked too early. Wisconsin peaked at the right time.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Minnesota peaked too early? lol So Springs going down a day before the Michigan game and less than a week before their game vs MTSU had nothing to do with it?

MTSU shooting 53.8% from 3 pt land had nothing to do with it? They shot 59% from 3 pt land against MSU, and beat them last yr, too.

MTSU shot 29% from 3 pt land vs Cuse last yr in their 2nd game AND LOST. Want to guess how they shot from 3 pt land vs Butler?

It was less than 29%.

But nice try Ewert.

Big Ten is really suffering this year, Mich just suffered thru a victory over Louisville.

Top Bottom