What one word sums up today's performance?

Badgerdocunderstandsperfectlythatyoucanthaveitbothways.

Either you were deserving of a 5 seed and should beat a 12 or you were seeded too high.

For what it's worth, I think the Badgers are seeded about right and have a solid chance of going home today too.

Badgerdocunderstandsperfectlythatyoucanthaveitbothways.

Either you were deserving of a 5 seed and should beat a 12 or you were seeded too high.

For what it's worth, I think the Badgers are seeded about right and have a solid chance of going home today too.

Biggametodaysogopostonyourownboard(?)ohandpsmtsuisstillbetterthanyouropponent.

Definitely not the run we were hoping for to set us up for next season.

We looked very ordinary today.

Pissed, as pissed the opportunity to be relevant down their collective legs.

The momentum gained by a Saturday game vs. Butler and the win after would have built levels of excitement in the Twin Cities not seen in a very long time.

Now..... ? .... lots if irritation and bitterness, with a side order of mockery from Badger fans.

Gophers would have had about 50% more probability of beating any of the #9 through #11 seeds and up to 90% additional probability of beating any other #12 seed. Just got a bum draw of an opponent who split the odds and the team didn't bring their A game. Don't get too emotional. Better times are ahead.

Without a respectable 3rd guard this team had no business being seeded #5, but we probably should have been a 7 seed, but we played like a 17 seed today. With anyone with a pulse at guard, or Springs we were a real 5 or 6 seed.

As I wrote earlier if Coffey had been playing the #2 guard all year and the freshman who transferred out after the sex video..... oh F" it, it quit. It just sucked today.

Wisconsin has looked like a crap team in many recent games, except for the second half vs (of course) Minnesota at the Kohl Center. It is reasonable to think Wisconsin is better than they have looked, so they will not go home today.

Not really. Sure this could have been an 8/9 game. Would have been justified on both ends. Doesn't change the result.

Even if all of that were true, the perception of a 8/9 loss vice a 5/12 loss sure is different.

Gophers firmly earned their #5; even though that was probably too high w/o Springs. I'm of the opinion that earned seeding shouldn't depend on uncontrollable injuries...that's for the oddsmakers, who favored their opponent today. I can't think of another opponent #9 through #12 that would have been favored today.

I am trying to be not too emotional. If MTSU was that great they would not have lost four games to not great teams. MTSU played no big time teams at all this year and they will not play one unless they beat Butler, since Butler is not so special either.

I have been waiting almost 20 years for greatness, and I guess that is better than what has happened on the football side. The next question is will we ever beat Wisconsin in Football or Basketball again, or at least before I die? I am under 50.

Winning today and Saturday would have been huge for building the Brand in the Twin Cities and making Williams Arena the place to be again. After today, the line is pretty flat again in those two PR and Revenue generation areas.

Big game doesn't start for more than the hour and it is just a game. And if you believe the committee there is no doubt that VT is a better team.

You cannot say this was a successful year. Getting embarrassed by a lesser foe....and #2, well, he has the right number.

Cannot? You're a schmuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying to be not too emotional. If MTSU was that great they would not have lost four games to not great teams. MTSU played no big time teams at all this year and they will not play one unless they beat Butler, since Butler is not so special either.

I have been waiting almost 20 years for greatness, and I guess that is better than what has happened on the football side. The next question is will we ever beat Wisconsin in Football or Basketball again, or at least before I die? I am under 50.

Winning today and Saturday would have been huge for building the Brand in the Twin Cities and making Williams Arena the place to be again. After today, the line is pretty flat again in those two PR and Revenue generation areas.

No Minnesota will not beat Wisconsin in football or basketball before you die.

And the loss in NCAA tourney today will take away any excitement for a team that improved by 16 games this year and returns everyone except one player next year. Pretty much starting all over again after today.

No Minnesota will not beat Wisconsin in football or basketball before you die.

And the loss in NCAA tourney today will take away any excitement for a team that improved by 16 games this year and returns everyone except one player next year. Pretty much starting all over again after today.

The comment about losing to Wisconsin was hyperbole, OK, get it now? It was more about football, but we should have won at least a couple of these games to sheer luck over the years.

Losing today hurt the team a lot in the realm or Public Relations and perception of the program. The team Brand now goes into hibernation for months. Winning today and Saturday would have created days of news stories, water cooler discussions and general excitement centering around the team and Richard Pitino.

The general public does not remember what happened last year, only that Mike Max was pimping the game last night on WCCO from Milwaukee (in front of a typical 80 year old group of Gopher fans, I thought that was the football demographic) and we just got steamrolled by some no name school.

This reality, as of today is what the general public remembers not what you and I remember or notice.

Only saw the first half but one word, brick. We had open looks and we missed open looks. Difference between a tie/close game at the half and what we had. It's just the start though. Team accomplished a lot for only having 7 reliable guys all year

Next year will be better, maybe great, but this month could have been great, or even..... "ELITE". hate that

The only thing the loss today did was make a few GHolers say the season was a failure.

The program does not take a PR hit at all. Plenty to offer the general public going into next season.

Overachievers............This team was better than expected but erratic all year, definitely over seeded for the tourney IMO, This offseason is where we will find out what this team is really made of, my expectation is top 3 of the B1G next year, Coffey is going to be a star, will they put in the hard work and effort to continue the rise and establish this program back to being relevant.

I for one, never said it was a failure, but it did hit the ground hard today, with a resounding, depressing thud. Put on the mortuary make up.

Next year should be great, and even better.

I am calling for the 2-3 Jim Dutcher Zone with the two international giants (Konote, and #41), Murphy, Lynch and some walk on guard. Yes, that is what we need next year to win, after seeing the zone D today. Effort and size, forget about the rest.

Depth. that was the issue today. when you are playing a 6-man rotation, you just can't afford to have one or two players have off days. when Mason didn't play well, that pretty much sunk the Gophs. Hindsight is always 20-20 - but in retrospect, I wonder if Pitino is kicking himself for not doing more during the season to get Hurt and Gilbert ready to play - UNLESS they simply aren't capable of playing at that level.

Next season, with the two incoming FR, and hopefully some growth and maturity for Hurt, this team should be a lot deeper.

Youth.

The 4 best performances by Gophers today were by Frosh and Sophs: McBrayer, Curry, Coffey and Murphy. All had good days. Curry got lost on defense some, but that's a lot of youth on an NCAA floor and very promising for the years ahead.

We lost to a good junior/senior laden club.

Nothing to take away from a great season and wonderful turnaround from the year before but boy we embarrassed ourselves today on national television. What happened to Mason today? Wow that was ugly. With the Springs injury it really showed that we had zero depth. Im so tired of people on this site talking about how hard Konate works in practice or that Diedhou is such a wonderful foreign exchange student. They're wonderful teammates. Im sure they are great kids but they belong on division 3 teams at BEST!!! We need guys on the bench that can help us win. Its about winning. This is a business. Are we worried about hurting someones feelings on the bench or do we want to win. If we need to shove someone out the door and lose their scholarship, so be it. That's what happens when you swing and miss on a recruit. Too many emotional homers on here. Lets win at all costs. Keep the recruiting trail going Pitino.

It all came down to guard depth today with the apparent Mason hip injury on top of the Springs problem, leading to a very thin bench at the Guard position.

I do n not find this answer very satisfying, as the overall defensive effort was very sub par from a Big Ten Conference perspective. I find it hard to accept that this team could guard Purdue, Iowa and Michigan guards effectively and then collapse against a low major, but what the hell, that is what happened today, so we will see hat happens to MTSU.

Embarrassed - by the comments of so many so-called fans. The team overachieved. We have a coach who has taken a long-term view, and we will have a balanced team next year inside and out. Those who think he came into the year short on guards, ignoring the depth, must not pay attention. He went out and recruited Springs, and lost a guard at the start of the year in Fitzgerald (yes, he would have played 2/3, similar to Coffey).

Great year - looking forward to next year!

You cannot say this was a successful year. Getting embarrassed by a lesser foe....and #2, well, he has the right number.

Go back to rube chat......you uneducated ****.

Youth.

The 4 best performances by Gophers today were by Frosh and Sophs: McBrayer, Curry, Coffey and Murphy. All had good days. Curry got lost on defense some, but that's a lot of youth on an NCAA floor and very promising for the years ahead.

We lost to a good junior/senior laden club.

Yup, we'll be fine next year. But this has left a bad taste. RP needs to do better on in game adjustments and decisions. Regardless of the fouls, Lynch needed to be in there.

Top Bottom