Badger/Gopher rivalry in the eyes of Becky fans

Why should we care?

That is the problem, nobody cares at The U and it shows. They have dominated us for decades and while we have now changed the culture it is sure to change. It is not really a rivalry, lets be honest.

The rivalry has been tilted heavily in recent years so no surprise most of the presumedly millennial fans over there are crowing about it. Yeah, fair enough they've been better. And no doubt Fleck is a polarizing guy and I've been moderately amused by his antics and poked some fun. So that's fair, and we should expect it and embrace it.

But, their irritating pride reminds of my Michigan friends (without the history or helmet school status) combined with the typical loud, ignorant arrogance of your average millennial when discussing political issue x,y, or z. I don't think they realize how quickly it could all fall apart for them. Pride before the fall. They've had an incredible run, a run far above par for them and things do tend to revert towards the mean eventually.

That is the problem, nobody cares at The U and it shows. They have dominated us for decades and while we have now changed the culture it is sure to change. It is not really a rivalry, lets be honest.

I'm at every game. I just don't care about what some other fans say on another forum, not sure why I ever would...

I have underwear older than most of those dopes on that WI board. I was at games in Memorial Stadium when the Badgers were a joke. This is not about the last 20 years unless the Packers want to stop talking about all those NFL Championships and Super Bowls from the past.

I have underwear older than most of those dopes on that WI board. I was at games in Memorial Stadium when the Badgers were a joke. This is not about the last 20 years unless the Packers want to stop talking about all those NFL Championships and Super Bowls from the past.

You mean like 2011 and 1997? For the record I hate the packers and hate the badgers more. The badgers have never been relevant for championships, we can hold that over them. The packers though.. unfortunately we got nothing on them.

Didn't want to read the thread but I hope they realized that True North Elite is a MN United Supporter group and has nothing to do with PJ Fleck or the U.

I wish PJF would emphasize beating Wisconsin (and winning the trophies in general) more. I haven't heard that coming from him at all. While those games are far off on the calendar and I understand he's trying to set the bar higher (B1G and National titles), they ain't getting there until they start beating Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska on a consistent basis. Especially Wisconsin.

Their state is so great they all keep moving here.

They sure are obsessed with us

Honestly, there is something psychologically wrong with many of these people. Never have I met so many 'fans' who are so "mehh" when it comes to actually cheering for their team. However, once Minnesota loses, you won't hear the end of it from them. Very odd positive confirmation needed for these people to function.

I wish PJF would emphasize beating Wisconsin (and winning the trophies in general) more. I haven't heard that coming from him at all. While those games are far off on the calendar and I understand he's trying to set the bar higher (B1G and National titles), they ain't getting there until they start beating Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska on a consistent basis. Especially Wisconsin.

I think we'll start getting that messaging as we go into the season. Set the real goals first, and then hit hard on the sub-goals, next steps to get there.

The rivalry has been tilted heavily in recent years so no surprise most of the presumedly millennial fans over there are crowing about it. Yeah, fair enough they've been better. And no doubt Fleck is a polarizing guy and I've been moderately amused by his antics and poked some fun. So that's fair, and we should expect it and embrace it.

But, their irritating pride reminds of my Michigan friends (without the history or helmet school status) combined with the typical loud, ignorant arrogance of your average millennial when discussing political issue x,y, or z. I don't think they realize how quickly it could all fall apart for them. Pride before the fall. They've had an incredible run, a run far above par for them and things do tend to revert towards the mean eventually.

I moved back to Minnesota from Milwaukee in 1990 or so. I remember during my time down there one of my old co-workers said the University of Wisconsin had a great marching band and a lot people would go to the games just to stick around and watch their show right after the football game. He said not too many cared about the football games. I would guess that whoever is posting on that site was born after those days, but I would hope Badger fans would have enough sense to know how things once were, not get too cocky and be grateful for their success because it could all change in a hurry.

You mean like 2011 and 1997? For the record I hate the packers and hate the badgers more. The badgers have never been relevant for championships, we can hold that over them. The packers though.. unfortunately we got nothing on them.

I don't think there is anyone here seriously downplaying the Packers success of the last 25 years. His comment was aimed at the Starr/Hornung/Nitschke era of Packer football and before that.

I don't think there is anyone here seriously downplaying the Packers success of the last 25 years. His comment was aimed at the Starr/Hornung/Nitschke era of Packer football and before that.

Exactly. If the Badger fans discount the National titles the Gophers have won in the past, they can't talk about the Packers and their own storied history. Nobody is downplaying the Packers, only pointing out the hypocrisy of the Badger Fans.

badger fans have the right to pretty much say what they want to Gopher fans at this point. If the next 15 years turn out to be a complete inverse of the last 15, believe me I will give it right back to them. They have had a really nice little run - but in my opinion have choked away a couple opportunities to take the next step (in both football and basketball). They pick on us because they still can't really say anything to the true Blue Bloods of college sports...part of me almost pities them that this "great" run they have been on hasn't really produced all that much. The state of Wisconsin is crumbling around them, and all they have to hang on to is that they have been better than The University of Minnesota at football and basketball recently. Sad really...

... The state of Wisconsin is crumbling around them, and all they have to hang on to is that they have been better than The University of Minnesota at football and basketball recently. Sad really...
Yes, and their politics are impacting the University of 'Sconnie heavily at this point...

I grew up in Minnesota. Graduated from the U of M. But have been away from the state for over a decade. The sad truth is that, in football and basketball, we've been Becky's bitch for going on 15 years. I hope the tables are turning. Because I'm tired of watching the same movie over and over.

I grew up in Minnesota. Graduated from the U of M. But have been away from the state for over a decade. The sad truth is that, in football and basketball, we've been Becky's bitch for going on 15 years. I hope the tables are turning. Because I'm tired of watching the same movie over and over.
Agreed

I think PJ is just trying to set a tempo, style (one might say culture) first, not unlike Jerry was early on.

His focus is on MN for now, make sense.

Top Bottom