NCAA Tournament - First and Second Round Other Games Thread

Unlike football there is no such thing as "B1G" refs. In basketball the are more like independent contractors who get hired on an individual basis for games by leagues. The NCAA then hires them for the tournament. This is why you can see Valentine do a game in Minnesota on a Thursday and then say at Marquette on Saturday.

I didn't know that either. Yet somehow he seems to do about 6 Gopher games per year.

Is Richard at the Louisville game? Go B1G, go Michigan.

yep, he was there. It was mentioned that Rick was at the Gopher-Wolverine game, not knowing at the time that his Cardinals would play Michigan.

Yes, Butler is markedly better than the Gophers, how is this controversial? It was a Top 15 team all year and just went post to post never giving up a lead against a team that fairly easily dispatched UM two days ago

All year? They were in the top 15 less than half the season. Yes, they are a better team. Significantly better? I wouldn't say that. I don't think there is a huge difference between the 15th and 30th best team this year.

Regardless, that wasn't my point. On Thursday, MTSU was knocking down shots even when the Gophers played great defense. Yesterday, they had trouble making shots even when wide open. Yes, Butler played better defense. But MTSU also shot poorer. Sometime hat just happens.

I'm liking what the Wolverines are selling this year in March Madness.
An underrated team that's gelling at the right time.

Duke was in the bonus before the 12 minute mark and Coach K is still complaining.

Duke goes down and sconnies road to the final four got easier. I'll have to put my faith in Baylor/Florida/South Carolina... Yikes.

The Wisconsin-to-the-Final-Four firewall just took a major hit when the Dookies went down to South Carolina. So Bucky needs to beat Florida and probably SC to get to Phoenix; seems very doable. My emergency cyanide tablet stands at the ready.

The Wisconsin-to-the-Final-Four firewall just took a major hit when the Dookies went down to South Carolina. So Bucky needs to beat Florida and probably SC to get to Phoenix; seems very doable. My emergency cyanide tablet stands at the ready.

Sigh. I think Florida can take them out. If they win that, they're going to Phoenix.

It just will never end will it? Wisconsin could have easily lost to Virginia Tech and now they are in the Sweet 16. I "called" this in my head after the brackets were announced that Minnesota would lose to the mid major and Wisconsin would upset Villanova because that's "what happens". I tried to dismiss that thought as being too negative and letting past results dictate future performance...but look what happened? I am sure nobody is surprised. Whatever the worst possible outcome for Minnesota fans is, it usually occurs. The end of a by all accounts "good" season for us as fans went this way: lose @ our biggest rival with a chance for the #2 seed in the B1G, next game we lose a key player for the season in a tough win, next game we lose a chance at the B1G Tournament title when we intentionally foul down 3 with enough time to get the ball back, and finally we play our worst game of the season and lose to a mid major in round 1. What is a disaster for most schools isn't even that disappointing for us.

One play I found amazing at the end of the Wisconsin game was that the ref (correctly imho) did not call a foul on Villanova's drive to the basket to tie the game in the closing seconds. If you have played or even watched basketball for any length of time, you know that a player positioned like Brown (I believe it was Brown) reaching in as a help defender on a guy driving to the bucket is ALWAYS called for a foul. The whistle is automatic. This time the ref just happened to be in the perfect position to actually see him get the ball and to not make the call.

This is easily one of my favorite posts of all time.

I thought I had seen this picture before, so I checked the archives. Don't know if they were "overall" #1 seed, but in the 2000 second round #1 Arizona fell to the #8 Badgers in the second round 66-59.

(And for the record, #1 Bucky beat overall #1 Kentucky 71-64 in the 2016 Final Four, and in 2014, #2 Wisconsin beat #1 Arizona 64-63 in the Elite Eight in OT.)

So this marks the 4th time Wisconsin has taken down a #1 seed. All is not lost, however. They lost to #1 seeds five times, to Missouri in 1994, Mich State 2000, Maryland 2002, Kentucky 2003 and Syracuse 2012.

It has struck me that over the Bennett, Ryan and Gard eras, Wisconsin has had a style of play where they could beat any team, but also lose badly to almost any team when their shots were not falling - like today's Virginia result. Except for the Kaminsky-Dekker years, they never had the talent to be a sure-fire winner in the early rounds. I guess that says something about the coaching.

They did do the "#1 overall seed" thing back then. The 2000 run, of course, went all the way to the Final Four. History repeating?

Duke goes down and sconnies road to the final four got easier. I'll have to put my faith in Baylor/Florida/South Carolina... Yikes.

They've already been twice recently, is one more going to matter?

I don't see them getting there though. Sweet 16 is a major achievement for them this year.

Should have been us.

Top Bottom