NCAA Tournament - First and Second Round Other Games Thread

NW got the shaft on that one. I felt bad for that kid because I remember when I was that age and I wore my emotions on my sleeve. Mcintosh looked like Nate Mason today. He was terrible the whole game. to only lose by 6 when he goes 6/20 and when they couldn't make a 3 in the first half to save their lives is pretty impressive. That should of been called a goaltend and it wasn't total ****.

It just will never end will it? Wisconsin could have easily lost to Virginia Tech and now they are in the Sweet 16. I "called" this in my head after the brackets were announced that Minnesota would lose to the mid major and Wisconsin would upset Villanova because that's "what happens". I tried to dismiss that thought as being too negative and letting past results dictate future performance...but look what happened? I am sure nobody is surprised. Whatever the worst possible outcome for Minnesota fans is, it usually occurs. The end of a by all accounts "good" season for us as fans went this way: lose @ our biggest rival with a chance for the #2 seed in the B1G, next game we lose a key player for the season in a tough win, next game we lose a chance at the B1G Tournament title when we intentionally foul down 3 with enough time to get the ball back, and finally we play our worst game of the season and lose to a mid major in round 1. What is a disaster for most schools isn't even that disappointing for us.

One play I found amazing at the end of the Wisconsin game was that the ref (correctly imho) did not call a foul on Villanova's drive to the basket to tie the game in the closing seconds. If you have played or even watched basketball for any length of time, you know that a player positioned like Brown (I believe it was Brown) reaching in as a help defender on a guy driving to the bucket is ALWAYS called for a foul. The whistle is automatic. This time the ref just happened to be in the perfect position to actually see him get the ball and to not make the call.

Of course MTSU can't make anything this game. They look terrible.

They look like a shadow of the team that beat the Gophs the other day. Can't make an outside shot. Haven't even played their zone all the time.

This is what happens when one team plays defense and the other does not. Our D was absolutely pathetic on Thursday, and MTSU was shooting lights out. Not the case today..

They look like a shadow of the team that beat the Gophs the other day. Can't make an outside shot. Haven't even played their zone all the time.

Couldn't play that zone because Butler shot over 50% on 3pt shots. They moved the ball and hit the open shots that we didn't. Then MTSU goes cold- zero points for Potts...

Tough to watch that MTSU/Butler game, both of those teams looked so beatable. Butler made open 3's (8-15) including a huge one the only time MTSU looked like they would make it a game.

Glad MTST lost. I spent about 3 min reading one of their message boards leading up to our game and they were arrogant as hell.

Are we just counting out Florida? I have them in my Final Four, so I hope not! I've just seen a few people saying, "Crap, now I have to cheer for Duke," as though Wisconsin is now a shoo-in for the Elite Eight. They still have to win another game before a potential Duke matchup.

FL could certainly beat the Badgers. I don't think the Gators can hang with Duke though. Best chance for Duke to lose before the Final Four might be tomorrow against South Carolina since it is a virtual home game for the Gamecocks.

FL could certainly beat the Badgers. I don't think the Gators can hang with Duke though. Best chance for Duke to lose before the Final Four might be tomorrow against South Carolina since it is a virtual home game for the Gamecocks.

UVa set basketball back 50 years in that game. A UVa/Wisconsin Sweet 16 would have set it back 100. Apologies to our resident Tony Bennett lover but that was truly pathetic.

It just will never end will it? Wisconsin could have easily lost to Virginia Tech and now they are in the Sweet 16. I "called" this in my head after the brackets were announced that Minnesota would lose to the mid major and Wisconsin would upset Villanova because that's "what happens". I tried to dismiss that thought as being too negative and letting past results dictate future performance...but look what happened? I am sure nobody is surprised. Whatever the worst possible outcome for Minnesota fans is, it usually occurs. The end of a by all accounts "good" season for us as fans went this way: lose @ our biggest rival with a chance for the #2 seed in the B1G, next game we lose a key player for the season in a tough win, next game we lose a chance at the B1G Tournament title when we intentionally foul down 3 with enough time to get the ball back, and finally we play our worst game of the season and lose to a mid major in round 1. What is a disaster for most schools isn't even that disappointing for us.

One play I found amazing at the end of the Wisconsin game was that the ref (correctly imho) did not call a foul on Villanova's drive to the basket to tie the game in the closing seconds. If you have played or even watched basketball for any length of time, you know that a player positioned like Brown (I believe it was Brown) reaching in as a help defender on a guy driving to the bucket is ALWAYS called for a foul. The whistle is automatic. This time the ref just happened to be in the perfect position to actually see him get the ball and to not make the call.

It will never end. They get 'screwed' in the seeding and our outraged! Still make the Sweet 16. And a BCS Bowl. It will never end.

Greenville is an hour and a half from Columbia. It's only 3.5 hours from Durham. With Duke's pedigree and fanbase, they'll have an equal presence in the arena.

Hope you are all watching the Purdue ISU game. Great college basketball. Purdue has looked fantastic but ISU hanging in there... Swanigen is making his NBA audition tonight.

Do you think that had something to do with the level of competition they were up against?

They were hitting everything against us. Even heavily contested shots. For awhile it seemed like it didn't matter how good the defense was, they were just going to make it. Today was completely different. They missed a lot of open shots.

Are you saying Butler is a ton better than the Gophers?

Hope you are all watching the Purdue ISU game. Great college basketball. Purdue has looked fantastic but ISU hanging in there... Swanigen is making his NBA audition tonight.

Lots of back and forth with very few whistles.

this is probably the most fast paced college basketball game ever played in the state of Wisconsin!

They were hitting everything against us. Even heavily contested shots. For awhile it seemed like it didn't matter how good the defense was, they were just going to make it. Today was completely different. They missed a lot of open shots.

Are you saying Butler is a ton better than the Gophers?

Yes, Butler is markedly better than the Gophers, how is this controversial? It was a Top 15 team all year and just went post to post never giving up a lead against a team that fairly easily dispatched UM two days ago

Why do I have a feeling of inevitability that Wisconsin will beat the #1 overall seed?

I thought I had seen this picture before, so I checked the archives. Don't know if they were "overall" #1 seed, but in the 2000 second round #1 Arizona fell to the #8 Badgers in the second round 66-59.

(And for the record, #1 Bucky beat overall #1 Kentucky 71-64 in the 2016 Final Four, and in 2014, #2 Wisconsin beat #1 Arizona 64-63 in the Elite Eight in OT.)

So this marks the 4th time Wisconsin has taken down a #1 seed. All is not lost, however. They lost to #1 seeds five times, to Missouri in 1994, Mich State 2000, Maryland 2002, Kentucky 2003 and Syracuse 2012.

It has struck me that over the Bennett, Ryan and Gard eras, Wisconsin has had a style of play where they could beat any team, but also lose badly to almost any team when their shots were not falling - like today's Virginia result. Except for the Kaminsky-Dekker years, they never had the talent to be a sure-fire winner in the early rounds. I guess that says something about the coaching.

Yes, Butler is markedly better than the Gophers, how is this controversial? It was a Top 15 team all year and just went post to post never giving up a lead against a team that fairly easily dispatched UM two days ago

Perhaps they're better than us without Springs.

I thought Valentine was primarily reffing ACC games this year??
Unlike football there is no such thing as "B1G" refs. In basketball the are more like independent contractors who get hired on an individual basis for games by leagues. The NCAA then hires them for the tournament. This is why you can see Valentine do a game in Minnesota on a Thursday and then say at Marquette on Saturday.

Unlike football there is no such thing as "B1G" refs. In basketball the are more like independent contractors who get hired on an individual basis for games by leagues. The NCAA then hires them for the tournament. This is why you can see Valentine do a game in Minnesota on a Thursday and then say at Marquette on Saturday.

Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, two data points prove all arguments. :rolleyes:

No. MTSU couldn't miss Thursday, and couldn't make Saturday. Couple that with the Springs injury and those two data points cannot legitimately prove any difference between the overall performance of Butler and Minnesota (pre-Springs injury); just as Michigan State 2015-2016, who lost to a worse MTSU squad in the 2/15 game, cannot be declared a worse overall team than 2016-2017 Butler; nor can Wisconsin 2016-2017 be declared a better overall team than 2016-2017 Villanova; nor Minnesota 2016-2017 a better team than 2016-2017 Purdue. That's just silly speak. No.

UMich starting to play like they had he last month or so. Hoping for another upset at the hands of the big ten. ACC already has a handful of terrible performances by teams that were highly seeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Richard at the Louisville game? Go B1G, go Michigan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom