***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE NCAA TOURNAMENT IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Hot Take: Pitino is not a good coach. This loss is on him. It's easy to take credit for an eight game win streak, but the way this team fell apart after it ended is all coaching.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I've been reading this forum for the last year and a half before joining - I couldn't stand your attitude when I was passively reading, and now I'm contributing I can say what a real ass you are

Hot Take: Pitino is not a good coach. This loss is on him. It's easy to take credit for an eight game win streak, but the way this team fell apart after it ended is all coaching.

Losses are on the coach but none of the wins are? Another hot take.

Pitino isn't going anywhere. So you can enjoy next year telling us how much Pitino sucks all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot take: He's the Big Ten coach of the year.

Bottom line: MTSU was flat out better

With that said, can't play cluelessly for extended periods and expect to win in March. Mason looked completely lost and Lynch really really really needs to learn how to play under control.

A depressing end to a great season. We were hoping to be able to go to Milwaukee for the second round game.

I've been reading this forum for the last year and a half before joining - I couldn't stand your attitude when I was passively reading, and now I'm contributing I can say what a real ass you are

+1000

#coacheslivesmatter

Bottom line: MTSU was flat out better

With that said, can't play cluelessly for extended periods and expect to win in March. Mason looked completely lost and Lynch really really really needs to learn how to play under control.

Agree....That 3rd foul on Lynch was so stupid. His butt on the floor with his back to the playrer and he takes a blind swat at the ball? He had no chance.

Hate even responding to a lowlife troll, but that's total B.S. Pitino has nothing to with horrible outside shooting (with good looks) to start the game, missing Springs, Lynch committing stupid fouls...again, and Mason looking like he got hurt during our run in the 2nd half which put an end to that. Troll on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LOL! Pitino has deflected any attempt to credit him and shifted it to the players.

Vandy player just trumped Lynch for dumbest move of the day. Fouled on purpose in the backcourt when they were up by 1 with 15 seconds left. Apparently he thought they were losing.

Yes. I supported Gopher football in that God awful toilet during my undergrad years. Remember in the 80s when nobody cared about Gopher sports.

No need to explain, I totally get it now. I'd be angry too if I was dealt that hand.

Analysts are now trolling on the Gophers with their train thing. That's really bad.

Next year with Washington, we won't have to rely on mason so much-it seems he struggles in big games with forcing shots ect.

Mason had a really bad day, we lost the boards and Lynch getting a couple of silly fouls-those were the keys. The latter two are of course related. Lynch gives us the inside presence and he couldn't stay on the court. Too bad we didn't have Springs, another shooter would have been great against that defense...

MTSU is a solid team. Best of luck to them.

Off season time boys- it's time to get better and come back on a mission!

Yep, all of this!

MTSU vs Butler should be good but Butler has the experience that we don't have. Butler by 7.

I am not sure when I will get over the fact that the Gophers played their worst game of the season in the first round of the NCAA tournament. This was such an amazing opportunity to be the #5 seed in Milwaukee with a real shot at the Sweet 16 and returning everybody next year. They should be better next year, but they could be better and not get a #5 seed or be sent to Salt Lake City or ...they could just be worse. Nobody expected the Gophers to take a downturn in Vince Grier's Senior season, but they did. After Tubby made the tournament in years 2 and 3, nobody expected a two year hiatus. The opportunity to make some noise was there...THIS YEAR...TODAY! Most of us at one point or another has bemoaned the Gophers lack of "luck". They had it this year, they had the #5 seed, the mid major opponent, the chance to play a vulnerable #4 seed for a Sweet 16. It's a massive disappointment, that only becomes more disappointing if the expected improvement next year doesn't happen.

Really bummed right now. Love our Gophers. They must be even more bummed than me.

I understand being disappointed over today's loss but a massive disappointment they didn't make the sweet 16. Don't understand that. This year was a massive success no matter what happens next year.

EWART, this loss is on the players. They were coached to play better than that. They will lose most times they give up 81. Coach can not make shots for Mason. He had one great year. Pretty good year Gophs. Keep improving.

This blows, but I was in the building in 1996 when Jerald Honeycutt and the Tulane Green Wave tossed the Gophers around like rag dolls. I think that team learned something that night and came back stronger. Hopefully this team will as well.

This season was a success and even though I'm frustrated with today's loss, a little piece of me thinks it will be a good thing.

Almost everyone picked against the Gophers today and they were right. Because of that the Gophers should have plenty of motivation to work hard and get better going into next year.

This blows, but I was in the building in 1996 when Jerald Honeycutt and the Tulane Green Wave tossed the Gophers around like rag dolls. I think that team learned something that night and came back stronger. Hopefully this team will as well.

Me too Breakin', and I also remember walking away from the game thinking we were still a long way away from being a top level team. That team put in the time in the off season to become great and perhaps an injury away from a national championship.

If the zone defense apparently so effective, why do so few college team use it much other than for a change of pace or post press?

The team looked like the zone defense was some sort of unknown, shocking scourge cast upon them. So much for scouting, and do not tell me that the shots were there and were missed. The bottom line is that the approach to the zone was passive and embarrassing. This is the worst gopher Tournament loss of my lifetime, and it beats the loss to the St. Louis Bilikins by a lot.

Oh, and let us not forget that the defense was awful. How do we hear about the length of the Gophers and how much trouble they cause for other Big Ten Teams when they try to run offense and then get steamrolled by some team that lost four games to nobodies.

Horrible all around.

The difference between this game and the Tulane game is the Gophers didn't give a #%#! about the Tulane game. That '96 team should have been in the NCAA Tournament. They had a winning record in the B1G and won a huge game @Illinois late in the season to "secure" their bid (according to the announcers). Instead, the Gophers were left out of the field (one of of 2-3 snubs during the Clem era) and the team came out and played uninspired ball in the NIT. The first round (arguably two rounds) of the NIT are all about whether you really value it or not. That Gopher team didn't.

The difference between this game and the Tulane game is the Gophers didn't give a #%#! about the Tulane game. That '96 team should have been in the NCAA Tournament. They had a winning record in the B1G and won a huge game @Illinois late in the season to "secure" their bid (according to the announcers). Instead, the Gophers were left out of the field (one of of 2-3 snubs during the Clem era) and the team came out and played uninspired ball in the NIT. The first round (arguably two rounds) of the NIT are all about whether you really value it or not. That Gopher team didn't.

Agreed. The same group of guys came back the next year and simply dominated. Pretty sure they would've killed that Tulane team if they played again the following year.

Yes, Bobby Jackson was a horse ridden by that team almost all the way. This 2017 team had no Bobby Jackson , because Bobby Jackson never would have let some gimmick zone defense define his season with a deflating loss. Bobby Jackson and his teammates would not have allowed some hayseed conference team score 10/12 possessions on them, then let some random guy score 9 points down the stretch on them after they fought back to get within 4 after mailing in the whole game.

We need a Bobby Jackson next year, or even a Westbrook, and Mason is neither. Springs was mentally tough and could shoot, but I never bought into the excuse after the horrible Michigan defensive performance that having only one day to prepare for the loss of Springs was why we played like crap in DC vs. Michigan. Guard play is everything, so I hope those two guys coming in are great.

Having that third member of the video group (from Fairfax VA) transfer out ended up killing this team once Springs went down. Oh well, maybe next year.

If the zone defense apparently so effective, why do so few college team use it much other than for a change of pace or post press?

The team looked like the zone defense was some sort of unknown, shocking scourge cast upon them. So much for scouting, and do not tell me that the shots were there and were missed. The bottom line is that the approach to the zone was passive and embarrassing. This is the worst gopher Tournament loss of my lifetime, and it beats the loss to the St. Louis Bilikins by a lot.

Oh, and let us not forget that the defense was awful. How do we hear about the length of the Gophers and how much trouble they cause for other Big Ten Teams when they try to run offense and then get steamrolled by some team that lost four games to nobodies.

Horrible all around.
They were playing with 6 guys essentially. Essentially playing with 3 guys who could play 3 positions. Playing with a short bench and foul trouble and missing open shots scored 72. If you think offense was the problem you need to rewatch the game.

I think the offense was putrid for much of the first half and opportunities were lost and not just by the missed shots.

MTSU missed a lot of shots as well and we did not get fast break baskets at all.

The guard play was not good and the offensive approach as not aggressive. Passing the ball horizontally around the half court line for 12 seconds is not productive. Maybe the Hopkins Kid or #32 if pressed into action with an agenda to put down his head and drive to the middle and get a charge or pass to a wing , or dish to a post would have changed things up. We wasted much of the first half acting confused by the Kermit Davis zone.

Anything to change up what happened from the 7 to 0 lead until halftime would have been an improvement. The 6 player challenge is accepted by me as a legitimate point, but not a complete excuse for what happened.

I agree the awful defense was a huge contributor to the loss. I will submit that the Walton display in the BTT showed MTSU what to do to expose this team on defense. Prior to that Michigan game, the team had been fairly solid on defense.

Top Bottom