Column: Look to Minnesota for hope, Mizzou men’s basketball fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per TheManEater.com:

After an 8-24 campaign, the Tigers will watch the NCAA tournament from home for the fourth consecutive year. Many Missouri students will also be watching March Madness wondering if they will see the Tigers in the tournament before they are sending their kids to college.

Fear not, Missouri fans. A program can be turned around in one season. Just ask your fellow midwesterners up in the North Pole … I mean Minnesota.

At this time last year, Minnesota was filled with a lot of snow and little hope for the Gophers men’s basketball team.

Minnesota finished 8-23 in 2015-16, but the team had issues off the court, too.

Minnesota suspended three Gophers for the last four games of the season for their connection to an explicit video posted on social media. Another player, Reggie Lynch, was arrested in May on suspicion of sexual assault. He was not charged, however.

The Gophers’ culture served as a repellant for talented in-state recruits. No 2017 prospects from Minnesota chose to play for the Gophers. One of those players, Nathan Reuvers, told me he didn’t think he would “be good in that culture.” He instead committed to Wisconsin.

Now a year later, Minnesota has made it through the season without any issues off the court, and its losing ways are no more.

The Gophers flipped their record in 2016-17, finishing 23-8 in the regular season, and received a No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Can Missouri flip its 8-24 record next season and return to the NCAA tournament? It won’t be easy, but the Gophers show it can be done.

Understand, though, that the circumstances at Missouri are different than what they were at Minnesota. A culture issue did not plague the Tigers this season; they just struggled to win.

Minnesota also had experienced more recent success. The Gophers finished with winning records the two seasons prior to 2015-16 and won the NIT championship under coach Richard Pitino in 2014. He was also coming back for a third season in 2016-17. Missouri will have a new head coach next season after three consecutive losing seasons.

So, what changed for Minnesota? The Gophers added young talent in the form of in-state recruits, which they combined with hard work during the offseason.

“We did it the old-fashioned way,” Pitino said after a win over Arkansas State in December. “We took our lumps in the offseason, which we deserve. We just sat there and listened to [the criticism], and we worked.”

Missouri players and their next leader might want to take note. What worked for Minnesota won’t necessarily work for the Tigers, but it’s not a bad place to start.

Don’t expect that same turnaround in the first year of the new coach’s regime. There’s a reason Pitino won Big Ten Coach of the Year this season, after all.

But take comfort in the fact that a complete turnaround is possible.

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2017/3/14/look-minnesota-hope-mizzou-mens-basketball-fans/

Go Gophers!!

Well, he at least acknowledged that our situations are different, MUCH different. Minnesota had somewhat decent seasons leading up to last year, and had their bad year last year partly because the team was transitioning from the old guard to the new guard and had a ton of youth on the team and this guys assertion that there was no hope in Gopherland is false. There were many Gopher fans who had lots of hope and others who may have been more skeptical, but still acknowledged that better days lay ahead.

Another difference is that one of the reasons Minnesota struggled last year was because it played in a tough conference, Missouri does not, the SEC is arguably the weakest major conference out there.

And if they are needing to bring in a new coach, it took Pitino 4 years to get rid of the old guard and bring in the new, if Mizzou is this bad already, a new coach is probably going to have to suffer through AT LEAST one more bad season, if not 2 or 3, before he'd be able to see the kind of resurgence UMn has seen this year. And the reason I left open the possibility of the change happening in 1-3 years, instead of the 4 it took Pitino, is Mizzou sucks so bad, it might be easier to get rid of the old guard, and the SEC is so weak it might not take as much talent to win 24 games.

As a Minnesota and Mizzou fan, I just don't have the same hope for Mizzou as I did for the Gophers. They can become a member of the SEC top class (along with Kentucky and Florida, though Kentucky is a step above) but it won't happen within 3 years. They don't have the talent waiting on the bench like Minnesota did and, frankly, nobody I see taking a step like Mason and McBrayer. Hopefully they hire Crean and he can rebuild them like he did in Indiana!

As a Minnesota and Mizzou fan, I just don't have the same hope for Mizzou as I did for the Gophers. They can become a member of the SEC top class (along with Kentucky and Florida, though Kentucky is a step above) but it won't happen within 3 years. They don't have the talent waiting on the bench like Minnesota did and, frankly, nobody I see taking a step like Mason and McBrayer. Hopefully they hire Crean and he can rebuild them like he did in Indiana!

Has he been fired yet? I'm not entirely sure he will be, or should be, let go. It would be a huge waste of money for Indiana to do that.

Mizzou doesn't have the transfers and doesn't have the incoming recruits to turn that team around next year. Going forward is anyone's guess. However, right now they are in a tough spot geographically, Knasas, Kentucky, Arkansas, Wichita St, Iowa state, Iowa, Illinois, Memphis(I'm sure I missed someone) are all about 4.5 hours or less drive from Mizzou. That makes it tough on recruiting when there are a lot of better basketball schools close. Glad we can inspire someone though.

Don't be like us, Missouri. You'll turn everything around and get a #5 seed only to be **** on by the entire nation.

If we should lose a transfer.....

I wouldn't mind seeing Reed Nikko come home. He would sit next year and then join the competition for playing time when our bigs leave following next season.

The North Pole?? About 300 miles as the crow flies from Columbia to the Iowa/Minnesota border. More than 400 miles from the Iowa border to the Canadian border.

Indiana lost in the NIT last night. Are buzzards circling over Crean's office today?

I'm not convinced that Crean has Indiana rebuilt. When he lost his first NIT game last night he basically blows by the coaches much like he did with Minnesota. He could use a lesson in sportsmanship as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Reed Nikko come home. He would sit next year and then join the competition for playing time when our bigs leave following next season.

Is he any good? I know he's just a freshman, but he's averaging 2.6 points in 10 minutes a game for an awful team. Looks like a similar caliber player to Konaté.

He had surgery...

Is he any good? I know he's just a freshman, but he's averaging 2.6 points in 10 minutes a game for an awful team. Looks like a similar caliber player to Konaté.

on a hip..I think...just before the season, and started slowly. I didn't keep real close track, but he has some skills. He fits our big man mold, not a main scorer but a capable contributor, shot blocker, team player.

You can check any of his highlight tapes from Maple Grove and see that he is much better than Konate.

Even if he ended up as a back up, he'd be a very capable one.

I'm not convinced that Crean has Indiana rebuilt. When he lost his first NIT game last night he basically blows by the coaches much like he did with Minnesota. He could use a lesson in sportsmanship as well.

If he can get Mizzou even close to where he brought Indiana, then the hire would be a success and Mizzou could move on to a coach with more potential.

And for the other posters, I don't think Nikko is very good and would not want him taking up a scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's Cuonzo Martin's job if he wants it. That would be a solid hire. Midwest guy, from that general area (East St. Louis, IL). Taken 2 programs to the NCAA Tournament (Tennessee, Cal), and came close at his first school (Missouri State).

That's cruel.

Indiana lost in the NIT last night. Are buzzards circling over Crean's office today?

Indiana's Season Ends Quietly After Dumb NIT Stadium Controversy

However, Indiana seemed to want no part of the NIT. As a No. 3 seed, they earned the right to host their first-round game against Georgia Tech, but IU wanted no part in hosting *gasps, clutches pearls* an NIT game. IU officials declined to host the game, instead sending the team to Atlanta.

ESPN initially reported that Bloomington Assembly Hall was under construction, although the IU athletic department denied that, claiming they didn’t want to play a game when the student body was on spring break. The only problem with that is plenty of other schools with students on spring break chose to host NIT games, none of whom besides Syracuse can expect the sort of numbers IU can.

AD Fred Glass eventually settled on a third reason; he didn’t want to “devalue” Assembly Hall by hosting an NIT game. That’s awfully haughty, especially for a school that has hosted NIT games in the past.

Really curious how that situation works out. Much of the IU fan base is obviously ready to move on from Crean. I can't imagine that they wait until July 1 (when his buyout is reduced from $4M to $1M) to fire him. We should know in the next week or so. If everyone comes back he could have a pretty good team next year.

Looks like Mizzou hired Cuonzo Martin. I'm not excited about this hire but I think it's a pretty good high floor, low ceiling hire.

Rumors are that Illinois offered Tony Bennett for an obscene amount of money.

I think that's a good hire for Mizzou, Cuonzo seems to be a good recruiter, has roots in the area and has coached in the SEC before. Probably the best realistic hire they could make.

Looks like Mizzou hired Cuonzo Martin. I'm not excited about this hire but I think it's a pretty good high floor, low ceiling hire.

Rumors are that Illinois offered Tony Bennett for an obscene amount of money.

You should be excited. Likely getting Porter Sr and his 2 sons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windy. another constant putdown. Interesting how much you dislike Tony Bennett. I did not even know about it until your athletic director told me. Not surprising that you would just take a vile shot. Suppose we could engage in wits of insults but just not my style. How about questions instead? Would you be grateful for coaching friends and clients that have been close for half a lifetime, been close with your kids, been extremely successful, been meaningful contributors to society ? What is it that leaves you so resentful ? I support 4 programs and only share insight and experience from over 60 years around programs as a player, scout and agent. If you despise what i share do not read it. Even when i find something i read that i know to be untruthful and inaccurate i do not resort to putting others down. What is it that you hope to compare that you think will leaving you feeling better ?

Top Bottom