Things I forget that I hate about the NCAA Tourney

I hate how it becomes about the coaches and not the players. I've already heard reference about our team not being as "talented" as others, and how Pitino overachieved. I don't need to mention all of the honors our players have received. Obviously Pitino did a great job, but c'mon.

It sucks to constantly hear how great Izzo, Williams, Self, Coach K (seriously I'm not going to look up the spelling of that corpses name), and Calipari are. Clearly they're good coaches, but considering it's the players who have to actually defend and make plays, I wish the conversation centered more around them (and not just the players from the blue bloods).

It's a minor gripe, but it's exhausting being subjected to the constant celebrating of these coaches.

Totally agree. The hype of the college hoops power coach is nauseating.

Jim Nantz's weirdo tradition of giving away his tie at the Final Four.

Dickie V sucking up to Puke.

I'm pretty sure Dukie V has never called an NCAA tournament game since he is on ESPN. Unless you watch ESPN for all the highlights. It's kinda crazy that the guy that is sort of the voice of college basketball (like him or not) has never been able to call the NCAA Championship game.

I dislike when a 12 seed and 13 seed from the same region win thus setting up the inevitable 1 vs. 12 seed massacre in the Sweet 16.

Upsets are okay...too many is bad for business. Kills the product later in the tournament when those teams come back to earth

I hate "One Shining Moment".

Come at me.

That took courage.

I'm not so hot on it myself. Dated, just like the early 80's disco version of the Minnesota Twins song that they just don't seem to be able to move on from.

Wow. That is definitely the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the 4 channel format.
It appears I wasn't clear. I wasn't complaining about the 4 separate channels. I was complaining about the loss of the "mix" channel.

Totally agree! That was the best part of 10-15 years ago... it was better than BREAKING NEWS!!

"AND WE TAKE YOU TO CHARLOTTE..."
Yep.

And for the others that don't see it this way (to each his own), if you popped a blood vessel before you read it, here is what I suggested as the solution:

Solution: A 5th channel that is like the pre-TBS/TruTV days. The mix. Only needed on the first weekend. I want it back!!
I bet that channel would get pretty good ratings. And the other 4 would do just fine as well. Everybody wins! I'm guessing one of the 500 channels I have would be willing to do this.

Agreed in college football they have like 20 different channels for the title game, if people are willing to watch coachess breakdown the film of each play I am sure there's a market for what you're suggesting. The only thing that sucked about that era was when the Gophers were in it and it would cut away from there game.
vs Georgia Tech, I believe!!

It appears I wasn't clear. I wasn't complaining about the 4 separate channels. I was complaining about the loss of the "mix" channel.

Yep.

And for the others that don't see it this way (to each his own), if you popped a blood vessel before you read it, here is what I suggested as the solution:

I bet that channel would get pretty good ratings. And the other 4 would do just fine as well. Everybody wins! I'm guessing one of the 500 channels I have would be willing to do this.

Agreed in college football they have like 20 different channels for the title game, if people are willing to watch coachess breakdown the film of each play I am sure there's a market for what you're suggesting. The only thing that sucked about that era was when the Gophers were in it and it would cut away from there game.

That took courage.

I'm not so hot on it myself. Dated, just like the early 80's disco version of the Minnesota Twins song that they just don't seem to be able to move on from.

You better not be talking about "Win Twins, Win" by Slave Raider! All to AC/DC's TNT!!

I am most displeased with the horrifically long Sunday on the first weekend. It seems like the last games are getting over about 10:00 on Sunday night. Too long. Run a few more concurrently and allow the people at the games to get home and get back to work.

Pretty small potatoes as far as issues go. It's a great event and by and large well run, despite the incessant whining by the media on behalf of teams who got "shafted" by seeding, etc.
That's one drawback of four TV channels for the first weekend. 60 Minutes at 6 PM Sunday night no longer needs to be protected at all costs.

And I concur with others here. One Shining Moment is a terrible song, no matter who sung it. Kill it with fire!

I hate the play-in games! Period. Drop four more teams from the dance, it's not like they are going to drop an eventual winner.

Let the conference Champs have their shot at the Big Boys and then move on. If you have to keep it at 68, Then make it the last four teams in and call it Bubbleicous Tuesday. Or Blow-pop Tuesday!

Make those guys earn it and let the conference Champs in the first round.

You better not be talking about "Win Twins, Win" by Slave Raider! All to AC/DC's TNT!!

No, nor am I talking about The Hold Steady's "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."

The alternate version (whoever sings it) is terrible.

The Luther Vandross one? Shut your dirty mouth. The man and the song were/are both national treasures.

While I agree about Vandross being a treasure, that song is inexcusably corny and downright terrible

No, nor am I talking about The Hold Steady's "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."

I'd love to hear AC/DC play "Win Twins Win"!!!!

Oh, and I absolutely hated Prince's Purple Reign he wrote for the Vikings!

I hate the play-in games! Period. Drop four more teams from the dance, it's not like they are going to drop an eventual winner.

Let the conference Champs have their shot at the Big Boys and then move on. If you have to keep it at 68, Then make it the last four teams in and call it Bubbleicous Tuesday. Or Blow-pop Tuesday!

Make those guys earn it and let the conference Champs in the first round.

I could get into Bubblicious Tuesday. I'm with most on not having 16 seeds (who are always conference tourney champs) play in the play-in games. Let them in the real dance. Even if it means they get blown out by 30 against the 1 seed. I'd do one of two things. (And in both scenarios, I would make a rule that no conference tourney champs have to play in the play-in games.)

1 -- Keep it at 68 teams and have all play-in games be for all the 11 seeds. Basically the last 8 teams to make the tournament have to win a game to get in the real dance as an 11 seed.

2 -- Take it down to 67 teams and have the Tuesday/Wednesday games be a play-off between the last four teams in for the final #11 seed. Two games on Tuesday, and then the Tuesday winners play on Wednesday for the right to be the final #11 seed. And obviously you would have to give them a day off after that so the winner would be playing a round of 64 game on Friday.

I think either of those scenarios make the play-in games more entertaining, and make the whole process a little better for conference tourney champs from lower leagues.

Wow. That is definitely the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the 4 channel format.

I agree with him somewhat.
It was nice having them show a game, then as action heated up, we'd switch over. I thought it worked well.

MN High School League used to do that for games in the basketball tournament.

I hate that they went to 4 separate channels. My favorite two days of the year - while still great - are not what they were when it was one channel. Literally sometimes alternating between two or three games coming down to the wire. When I don't have a strong interest in any particular game, I don't want to do the switching back-and-forth. I want it done for me, like the old days! Do I like the separate channels sometimes? Of course. Solution: A 5th channel that is like the pre-TBS/TruTV days. The mix. Only needed on the first weekend. I want it back!!

+1 It was way more fun

Things I hate are 20 minute halftimes (up from 15 during reg season) and 2 min 30 sec commercial breaks (up from 2 minutes during the reg season).

Things I hate are 20 minute halftimes (up from 15 during reg season) and 2 min 30 sec commercial breaks (up from 2 minutes during the reg season).

I kid you not, it throws off my circadian rhythm.

I hate that they went to 4 separate channels. My favorite two days of the year - while still great - are not what they were when it was one channel. Literally sometimes alternating between two or three games coming down to the wire. When I don't have a strong interest in any particular game, I don't want to do the switching back-and-forth. I want it done for me, like the old days! Do I like the separate channels sometimes? Of course. Solution: A 5th channel that is like the pre-TBS/TruTV days. The mix. Only needed on the first weekend. I want it back!!

I love 4 channels. With dual tuners, you can keep two in queue at once (although the permanent scores stink), and newer cable/satellite boxes have even more tuners...

I understand your point. A 5th channel that operates as a 'Red Zone Channel' would be great. The problem is that Turner and CBS split the rights. Neither is going to agree to let the other have that 5th channel on CBS Sports Network or another Turner channel as that will likely get far more viewers than any individual game, and they're not going to create a new channel for two days/year. (The fact that NFL Redzone sits on a test pattern for 9 months and cable operators allow it is ridiculous.). Also, with the way they stagger the start times now, the instances of 3 or 4 games coming down to the wire at the same time are minimal now.

Top Bottom