PJ Fleck's FOOTBALL thread

JTsolo612

Reaction score
Ok. We all know the "schtick". Some love it, some hate it, some, like myself, are somewhat indifferent to it and are more interested in what this coaching staff is about FOOTBALL WISE. I propose anyone with insight on PJ or his staffs football schemes, plays or philosophies, starting from the basics let's assume we know nothing about the guy, come forward and share. Doubtless the rest of us shall comment and a merry time will be had by all. LETS KEEP IT 100% ON THE FIELD TALK! PROHITED TO TALK ABOUT "CULTURE" TOO! BUZZ WORDS TO A MINIMUM PLEASE! Everything n everyone is elite, I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When on the field, he coaches with a crack on his shoulder.

Impossible to separate the on field and culture. They work in symbiosis. RTB!

When on the field, he coaches with a crack on his shoulder.

7b869eb662639517de5a37e34fe22c2e.jpg

Aggree 100%.

You can't RTB without the oars. PJF is an enabler, a visionary on steroids and Red Bull. His enthusiasm is infectious to the point of being cultist.

I think that is what makes his coaching style work. He seem to attract good coaches who want to be part of his coaching staff.

You cannot help it, but think good things are ahead. Let's hope we can keep him here long term.

Carpetbagger Holtz got us hooked, and then he abandoned us.

Ok... dammit this isn't working. Let's try this... PJ was a receiver right? His forte if you will. What's his passing game scheme? Can we expect a lot of downfield bombs? Short to medium dink n dunk? Does he have any exotic route trees we may not be privy to? What type of QB is ideal for this system? Compare/contrast to old system. How does current roster fit system? Etc... cumon guys! Plenty of football to talk about. Let's try again...

Ok... dammit this isn't working. Let's try this... PJ was a receiver right? His forte if you will. What's his passing game scheme? Can we expect a lot of downfield bombs? Short to medium dink n dunk? Does he have any exotic route trees we may not be privy to? What type of QB is ideal for this system? Compare/contrast to old system. How does current roster fit system? Etc... cumon guys! Plenty of football to talk about. Let's try again...

I'll try. Admittedly, I'm sure their are people here that have a lot more knowledge about it than I do.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
He runs more of a pro-style type system. QB'S will not be going on designed runs like they used to, but will be expected to diagnose defenses better, and go through progressions to find the open guy. Maybe less deep balls? But more emphasis on the short and intermediate passing games. This stuff will still be based off of a solid run game. I'd imagine-like years past- if our run game is shut down this year we'll be in for a rough day. As Fleck's QB'S have more time to mature, I would suspect that he expects them to be able to carry the team a little more than before, and maybe what we have grown accustomed to?

OK I tried, take it easy on me guys.

Edit: didn't see Hungan's. His may be better... ; )

Aggree 100%.

You can't RTB without the oars. PJF is an enabler, a visionary on steroids and Red Bull. His enthusiasm is infectious to the point of being cultist.

I think that is what makes his coaching style work. He seem to attract good coaches who want to be part of his coaching staff.

You cannot help it, but think good things are ahead. Let's hope we can keep him here long term.

How many years does a coach have to stay before he's not "abandoning" his team?

How long did it take Lou to high tail out of here? He left before rigor mortise set in on the corpse he left behind. He took most of his commitments to ND too.

How long did it take Lou to high tail out of here? He left before rigor mortise set in on the corpse he left behind. He took most of his commitments to ND too.

I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just wondering how long a coach needs to stay before he's not abandoning his team. Three years? Four years? More?

Let's get a National Championship out of him, so maybe five or six years?

Aggree 100%.

Do you think his arms get tired, you know, from all that rowing? He's in great shape but I would have thought his back and forearms would be massive...

He lets other do the rowing.

---------------

This:

Fleck’s found something that works with different players.
"This is an ideal system for making the most of top talents. Outside his offensive line, perhaps, Fleck isn’t recruiting exact scheme fits, so much as trying to find top athletes and then plugging them into winning situations."

I'll trot this one out another time...good info. Pretty much why I don't have concerns that the offense, and passing game in particular, will be better this year.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/19/13577022/pj-fleck-coach-western-michigan-wmu

Ok, get ready for ball control. At WMU our offense controlled the game! Time of possession was very important. 12-15 play drives, No stupid turnovers! 50/50 run-pass. Big line that did a lot of zone blocking. I think we were 5th in time of possession and 1st in turnover margin! You will hear " the ball is the program" until the cows come home! He will challenge every player for the ball and players that loose it don't play! Receivers will run excellent routs and the QB needs to play smart. We had a great mix at RB1 big and powerful and 2nd short and quick. We took big shots but that was not the offense. First half was usually close and 2nd half we wore teams out and pounded them. You have some great RB's at MN so he will lean heavy on them this year as he develops a QB. You will be fine once he gets everyone on board. This year will be tough on many returning players as so many things are different and PJ will demand so much beyond football. Many players left year 1 at Western thought he was a joke, etc. Didn't buy in! You will have some of this but I think less than WMU as he is proven. This year will be ok, next year look out. You are in for a non stop fun ride!

Ok, get ready for ball control. At WMU our offense controlled the game! Time of possession was very important. 12-15 play drives, No stupid turnovers! 50/50 run-pass. Big line that did a lot of zone blocking. I think we were 5th in time of possession and 1st in turnover margin! You will hear " the ball is the program" until the cows come home! He will challenge every player for the ball and players that loose it don't play! Receivers will run excellent routs and the QB needs to play smart. We had a great mix at RB1 big and powerful and 2nd short and quick. We took big shots but that was not the offense. First half was usually close and 2nd half we wore teams out and pounded them. You have some great RB's at MN so he will lean heavy on them this year as he develops a QB. You will be fine once he gets everyone on board. This year will be tough on many returning players as so many things are different and PJ will demand so much beyond football. Many players left year 1 at Western thought he was a joke, etc. Didn't buy in! You will have some of this but I think less than WMU as he is proven. This year will be ok, next year look out. You are in for a non stop fun ride!

Thanks for posting. We probably won't have the dominant O Line (this year anyway) you guys had, and we may not have the receivers (again, this year) either, how will P.J manufacture plays? Does the QB do much running? I thought I heard/read he doesn't do much designed QB runs.

Thanks for jumping in CY77.

Sounds familiar...very much like what Northern Illinois fans were telling us 7 years ago (wow...that long...)

...at least expect long offensive possessions, good ball control, and having a chance in the second half.

Good luck next season.

I'll try. Admittedly, I'm sure their are people here that have a lot more knowledge about it than I do.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
He runs more of a pro-style type system. QB'S will not be going on designed runs like they used to, but will be expected to diagnose defenses better, and go through progressions to find the open guy. Maybe less deep balls? But more emphasis on the short and intermediate passing games. This stuff will still be based off of a solid run game. I'd imagine-like years past- if our run game is shut down this year we'll be in for a rough day. As Fleck's QB'S have more time to mature, I would suspect that he expects them to be able to carry the team a little more than before, and maybe what we have grown accustomed to?

OK I tried, take it easy on me guys.

Edit: didn't see Hungan's. His may be better... ; )

It will be interesting to see who Fleck taps at QB this fall. Dual threat like Croft or Green, or traditional passer? IF a QB can actually run and throw it would be foolish not to incorporate some designed runs or read options even though it's an injury risk. The goal is to win games and put a hat on a hat and move the ball by any means necessary. Even Alabama and OSU are moving or have moved to athletic QBs. It takes a special QB to really pick apart good defenses. There isn't a Sam Darnold or Kellen Moore laying around on every street corner.

If Fleck starts Morgan or Rhoda we're probably going to see more of what 77 described, a Wisconsin/Iowa style/(b)Limey(!) ball control. Maybe with some better offensive execution and imagination. It also suggests that maybe Croft can't pass or can't process the reads. Maybe Green can't pass or isn't ready. So many variables. I've not watched a lick of WMU so don't know their style.

I'm not sure how athletic Morgan is; I see he lists a Nike verified 40 time of 5.1. He's 6 foot 1 and 203 per his hudl and 6 foot 2 and 175(!) on the roster. Trace McSorley is a smaller guy but supposedly runs a 4.5 40 (let the snickering ensue).

Looks like the offensive attempts were (by percentage)

2016 62% rush
2015 57% rush
2014 57% rush
2013 47% rush

Seems clear by their middling years they are roughly north of 50% towards rushing and during their 13-1 run they skewed more rushing to close out games I presume. The dumpster fire 2013 season was obviously more pass heavy as they attempted to come back from 4th quarter deficits.

It will be interesting to see who Fleck taps at QB this fall. Dual threat like Croft or Green, or traditional passer? IF a QB can actually run and throw it would be foolish not to incorporate some designed runs or read options even though it's an injury risk. The goal is to win games and put a hat on a hat and move the ball by any means necessary. Even Alabama and OSU are moving or have moved to athletic QBs. It takes a special QB to really pick apart good defenses. There isn't a Sam Darnold or Kellen Moore laying around on every street corner.

If Fleck starts Morgan or Rhoda we're probably going to see more of what 77 described, a Wisconsin/Iowa style/(b)Limey(!) ball control. Maybe with some better offensive execution and imagination. It also suggests that maybe Croft can't pass or can't process the reads. Maybe Green can't pass or isn't ready. So many variables. I've not watched a lick of WMU so don't know their style.

I'm not sure how athletic Morgan is; I see he lists a Nike verified 40 time of 5.1. He's 6 foot 1 and 203 per his hudl and 6 foot 2 and 175(!) on the roster. Trace McSorley is a smaller guy but supposedly runs a 4.5 40 (let the snickering ensue).

I think I ran a 5.1 in high school (hand timed ; ) ). I was under the impression he was more of a pocket passer right? If what P.J ultimately wants is to have more of a drop back guy, I wonder if it would be best to start the guy who fits that mold, or if he'd start one of the dual threat guys this year cuz he's the best short term option. Lots of questions and not a lot of answers right now.

If Tanner Morgan is the next coming then I hope we embrace that approach. If he isn't then I'd rather stay with a dual threat attack but as I said before there are so many mental variables beyond just physical ability it is really impossible to speculate what's going to happen at QB and thus with the offense. If Fleck had a deadly dual threat guy at WMU would his attack have looked different? Who knows - he doesn't have a long track record.

Ok, you've all got a spare two hours. Here's WMU v. Wisconsin. Let's see what happens.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mladhVHo5_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Croft seems to be more of a pocket passer and less of a dual threat QB. He doesn't have the build of a dual threat as much as Green.
He throws a good ball from his HS tape. Just a matter of if he can make the reads and get the ball out on time like PJF wants.
Going to be an interesting spring to see who emerges as the front-runner heading into fall camp and the first game.

The battle at QB without a doubt will be the most interesting to watch this Spring. Conor Rhoda is back as the only one who has complete game experience.

I think whoever comes out as the most decisive with enough athleticism who moves the chain more often will win out in the end.

If Tanner Morgan is the next coming then I hope we embrace that approach.

That's kind of how I feel as well. If P.J's long term plan on O is a drop back guy, I'd like to see us head that direction sooner rather than later.

Croft seems to be more of a pocket passer and less of a dual threat QB. He doesn't have the build of a dual threat as much as Green.
He throws a good ball from his HS tape. Just a matter of if he can make the reads and get the ball out on time like PJF wants.
Going to be an interesting spring to see who emerges as the front-runner heading into fall camp and the first game.

For some reason I thought Croft was a dual-threat guy. I know media guys that go to practice have stated they feel both Croft and Green were over a year away from being able to be productive, and this was last year. Also, I wonder where Rhoda fits into this. I may be the only one, but I feel like there was a reason he was asked to come back, more than just a 'come compete for a spot' type thing.

The battle at QB without a doubt will be the most interesting to watch this Spring. Conor Rhoda is back as the only one who has complete game experience.

I think whoever comes out as the most decisive with enough athleticism who moves the chain more often will win out in the end.

It would be interesting to watch- if you were allowed to[emoji6]!

Neil McLaurin has started 8 games, maybe not in the B1G but 8 games is something.

Top Bottom