turn a corner and see a sign that says, "Old Timers Bar - ALL drinks 10
cents."They look at each other and then go in, thinking this is too
good to be true.

The old bartender says in a voice that carries across the room, "Come
on in and let me pour one for you! What'll it be, gentlemen?"

There's a fully stocked bar, so each of the men orders a martini. In
no time the bartender serves up four iced martinis shaken, not stirred
and says, "That'll be 10 cents each, please."

The four guys stare at the bartender for a moment, then at each other.
They can't believe their good luck. They pay the 40 cents, finish their
martinis, and order another round.

Again, four excellent martinis are produced, with the bartender again
saying,"That's 40 cents, please."

They pay the 40 cents, but their curiosity gets the better of them.
They've each had two martinis and haven't even spent a dollar yet.

Finally one of them says, "How can you afford to serve martinis as good
as these for a dime apiece?"

"I'm a retired tailor from Phoenix ," the bartender says, "and I always
wanted to own a bar. Last year I hit the Lottery Jackpot for $125
million and decided to open this place. Every drink costs a dime. Wine,
liquor, beer it's all the same."

"Wow! That's some story!" one of the men says.

As the four of them sip at their martinis, they can't help noticing
seven other people at the end of the bar who don't have any drinks in
front of them and haven't ordered anything the whole time they've been
there. Nodding at the seven at the end of the bar, one of the men asks
the Bartender, "What's with them?"

The bartender says, "They're retired people from Wisconsin . They're
waiting for Happy Hour when drinks are half-price..."

Four old retired men are walking down a street in Alexandria, Minnesota . They
good to be true.

I just lost 5 minutes of my life (yes, I'm a slow reader...and PT Barnum was right)

Wow... that was utterly useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good to be true.

What does this "joke" have to do with PJF commentary? Isn't it about how WI folks are cheap? People are reading, my friend, please say what you mean.

I'm confused - the only possible connection I can make is that you are saying that the Anti-Fleck crowd are badger fans or retired people (which is a pretty good bet, actually) but I still don't get the need for the joke.

General reasons for folks getting all negative about PJ or whatever we'll call it:

- It's Minnesota, we don't like folks who draw attention to themselves.

- It's Minnesota, we prefer to express our positive feelings through the use of negatives:

- The sports media has enshrined the role of the excessive negative nancy as a permanent fixture at all times. It's also super easy to do so there ya go.

- People actually aren't negative about him, the're just not as hyped as others.

General reasons for folks getting all negative about PJ or whatever we'll call it:

- It's Minnesota, we prefer to express our positive feelings through the use of negatives:

- The sports media has enshrined the role of the excessive negative nancy as a permanent fixture at all times. It's also super easy to do so there ya go.

- People actually aren't negative about him, the're just not as hyped as others.

Ding, dig, ding!

Can't think of anybody that has hated Fleck. The problem is the hype-sensitivity of the "Everybody before him sucked!" and "He'll be lucky to win at all" crowds.

The "He's the Messiah!" posters tend to be WMU people..

Can't think of anybody that has hated Fleck. The problem is the hype-sensitivity of the "Everybody before him sucked!" and "He'll be lucky to win at all" crowds.

The "He's the Messiah!" posters tend to be WMU people..

What WMU people?

I don't believe people are necessarily anti-Fleck. I think they're just reacting poorly to some of the more avid Fleck supporters. And some, including me, are just a bit reluctant to go all in on the guy before he's coached his first Gopher game.

Even Fleck admits some people don't like his act. Why is it so hard to imagine that some don't love Fleck?

Messages board tend to polarize. People who don't like Fleck are actually reacting to the overly pro-Fleck crowd. The pro-Fleck crowd react to the anti-Fleck side. While each side tries to convince the other, it just drives them apart. Certain posters do this more than others. Best example for me was old time poster "Duluth". Duluth almost singlehandedly drove this board away from liking Rick Rickert. For the two years Rickert was a Gopher, he focused every post on how good Rickert was and how incompetent Dan Monson and the rest of the team were.

Friend of Tubby was a more recent example although he added a little insanity to the mix. If I ever meet Tubby, I will ask him about FoT. I am sure he knows FoT and is really creeped out by him.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
That video alone has made this thread bearable.

Likewise. I do not "hate" Fleck. I'm not a big fan of his approach - which strikes me as over the top - but I don't hate the guy. I'm just not going to proclaim him as the savior of the program until I actually see him coach a game, and until I see his recruits actually play a game on the field.

In my book, "Blind Faith" is a rock band. a lot of people keep saying that Fleck is a great coach and a great recruiter. He may be - but I want to see it work at this level before I believe it. Fleck is moving up from Triple A to the majors - and I have seen a lot of ballplayers over the years who tore up triple A, but never got it done in the Majors.

There is a difference between being skeptical, and being a hater. I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to believe when I have a reason to believe. (which is an old Rod Stewart song.....)

Likewise. I do not "hate" Fleck. I'm not a big fan of his approach - which strikes me as over the top - but I don't hate the guy. I'm just not going to proclaim him as the savior of the program until I actually see him coach a game, and until I see his recruits actually play a game on the field.

In my book, "Blind Faith" is a rock band. a lot of people keep saying that Fleck is a great coach and a great recruiter. He may be - but I want to see it work at this level before I believe it. Fleck is moving up from Triple A to the majors - and I have seen a lot of ballplayers over the years who tore up triple A, but never got it done in the Majors.

There is a difference between being skeptical, and being a hater. I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to believe when I have a reason to believe. (which is an old Rod Stewart song.....)

Trying to give a legitimate response, in addition to what SON has said there's a few other reasons people aren't on board with PJ Fleck:

1. They were staunchly behind Claeys, felt like he got a raw deal, didn't like the way Coyle handled it and thus anyone he picked was suspect.
2. They are the "negative guy" in any conversation who says "the Gophers are going to suck this year" so they can either say "I told you so" or "I didn't really think that, I was just trying not to jinx them" depending on the outcome.
3. They are put off by his in your face style. They don't buy into the "Row the Boat" mantra. They think he's all talk.
4. They think he's the next Tim Brewster where everyone starts falling for him and then 4 years later it all falls apart.
5. They think he is a good coach but is only using this as a stepping stone to get to (insert helmet school name here).
6. They aren't impressed with winning at WMU and consider it minor league.
7. They are staunch Jerry Kill supporters and consider his short stint at NIU to mean he either had no loyalty to Kill or that he rubbed Kill and/or the rest of the staff the wrong way, thus isn't worthy of the U of M job.

I'm sure I've missed some. Obviously those that don't like him probably have some combination of those reasons (and others).

I have said that if you told me at the end of the Bowl Game that the Gophers could get their choice of PJ Fleck or Les Miles I would have said pull the trigger. Even though I did think the team's performance was enough to buy Claeys another year. To me it was just too good of an opportunity. I have bought into RTB and am really anxious to see what this team does the next couple years.

That said, I realize in four years I may be calling for his job. I certainly hope not. I'll freely admit I bought into Brewster, especially at first, and Kill (50% ain't bad... :)). I was never convinced by Claeys for whatever reason. I did think he was the right hire at the time, I just thought they may have been able to do better had they had a full time AD.

I understand the reasons behind being skeptical. How many times have Gopher fans thought "this is the year" only to come up short. We've all seen it before, been there, done that. I just hope he breaks the mold. :)

But SON you are correct, until he wins a game and signs his first full class he hasn't proven he's the right guy for the job.

Fleck, like all Gopher coaches before him in the past 5 decades, has a very difficult job to get the Gophers to the point where they will win big and often.

Its my nature to be skeptical that he will get it done as I have seen others fail here in spite of being successful in their previous gig(s). Also a vast majority of the past coaches found Minnesota to be a dead end job and had trouble finding a good HC position once they left.

Maybe Fleck is the guy. Maybe he isn't. Time will tell.

In the meantime, the pro-Fleck crowd will continue to consume his stuff in huge quantities and gush and marvel over everything that he does. That's OK but not for every Gopher fan.

I hope this "Fleck Culture" thing will produce great results on the field.

Not really understanding the connection with the OP's joke, but I think Fleck will succeed. His energy is pretty high (appearances at a lot of events) which has to help on recruiting. Going to have good facilities. Nice stadium. Getting to the point that I don't even care about the shtick.
However there is always the name Frank Lauterbur that kind of lurks in the back of my mind. After some wins by PJ it will be totally vanquished.

Everything is cool, everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team!

Everything is cool, everything is awesome! Everything is cool when you're part of a team!

Yes indeed!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9cQgQIMlwWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not really understanding the connection with the OP's joke, but I think Fleck will succeed. His energy is pretty high (appearances at a lot of events) which has to help on recruiting. Going to have good facilities. Nice stadium. Getting to the point that I don't even care about the shtick.
However there is always the name Frank Lauterbur that kind of lurks in the back of my mind. After some wins by PJ it will be totally vanquished.

Greatest coach in Iowa history in my opinion. :)

Stupid Joke! Now, I don't hate PJF, but I am not a big fan of his Rah Rah attitude either. It's a bit much for my liking. I still think Claeys got screwed, but in the end, if Fleck gets us to the BIG10 championship and big bowl games I will be his biggest fan. The cart aint gettin in front of the horse if ya know what I mean.

good to be true.

OR:

Four young college graduates walk down the street in Eden Prairie and see a sign a the high school that says: "tonight, meet Gopher Coach PJ Fleck".

Very excited they go and wait in line to see PJ Fleck Speak.

While sitting in the audience next to these four young men, a man says "I don't get this row the boat thing" to his friend.

The four young college graduates kill him for doubting PJ Fleck's ability.

Another guy came in with the same type of schtick decades ago, it didn't work out, you''ll remember him as Wacker, wait and see for me.

Top Bottom