STrib: Gophers turn it on during Pro Day to make case for NFL teams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Jonah Pirsig didn’t get invited to last month’s NFL combine, but that hasn’t changed the former Gophers lineman’s ambitions of playing in the league.

“My agent just said to use it as a chip on my shoulder,” Pirsig said Monday after going through the annual Gophers Pro Day at the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex.

The Gophers kept the event closed to the media, but player personnel director Marcus Hendrickson tweeted that 45 scouts and coaches, representing 26 teams, were there.

The Gophers have had multiple players picked in the NFL draft each of the past three years, including defensive back Eric Murray (Chiefs) and linebacker De’Vondre Campbell (Falcons), who both went in the fourth round last year.

This year, Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner and defensive backs Jalen Myrick and Damarius Travis were invited to the combine. They also attended Pro Day, along with Pirsig, wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky and linebacker Jack Lynn.

When healthy, Pirsig has been one of the Big Ten’s most imposing offensive tackles. He was a third-team all-conference selection last fall, despite missing three games.

His official measurements Monday: Height (6 feet, 7¾ inches), weight (314 pounds), broad jump (8 feet, 6 inches), vertical (27 inches), 225-pound bench press (20 reps).

CBSSports.com ranks Pirsig as the 32nd-best offensive tackle, but Bleacher Report ranks him 18th at his position, and No. 257 overall, right on the draft’s fringe.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-turn-it-on-during-pro-day-to-make-case-for-nfl-teams/416084674/

Go Gophers!!

Vikings have a few openings Pirsig. Not sure what the culture is like there, but you might want to give it a look!

Just the fact there's been Gophers drafted at all is a testament to Jerry Kill's taking the program outta the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the purpose of banning media? Not a rip on PJ but I genuinely don't understand. The combine is televised, the various all-star games are televised. The guys and program might want a bit more exposure not less. Wasn't PJ about bringing folks in and building connections?

What was the purpose of banning media? Not a rip on PJ but I genuinely don't understand. The combine is televised, the various all-star games are televised. The guys and program might want a bit more exposure not less. Wasn't PJ about bringing folks in and building connections?
Completely agree. Makes no sense.

Just the fact there's been Gophers drafted at all is a testament to Jerry Kill's taking the program outta the mud.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a significant overstatement. If a B1G program isn't getting guys drafted, there is a really really big problem.

That is a significant overstatement. If a B1G program isn't getting guys drafted, there is a really really big problem.

It is a spot-on statement. In five of six years, no recruited Gophers were drafted. Obtaining, retaining and developing talent was a really, really big problem here prior to Kill.

Nobody was drafted in 2011, 2012, 2013. Program was in the mud after Brewster.

Decker and Triplett were drafted in 2010.

Nobody was drafted in 2009.

Dom Barber was drafted in 2008. Walked-on.

Eight guys were drafted in 2014, 2015, 2016 and look for two more in 2017.

completely agree. No reason to not let media attend and provide more positive coverage for the program and for those seniors who participated

It is a spot-on statement. In five of six years, no recruited Gophers were drafted. Obtaining, retaining and developing talent was a really, really big problem here prior to Kill.

Nobody was drafted in 2011, 2012, 2013. Program was in the mud after Brewster.

Decker and Triplett were drafted in 2010.

Nobody was drafted in 2009.

Dom Barber was drafted in 2008. Walked-on.

Eight guys were drafted in 2014, 2015, 2016 and look for two more in 2017.

That's news to me

Vikings.com: Spielman, Vikings Take in Minnesota Gophers Pro Day

The Vikings and General Manager Rick Spielman were on the hunt for talent Monday morning.

Spielman attended the University of Minnesota’s Pro Day and was joined on campus by Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer and almost a dozen other coaches, front office personnel and scouts.

“They do a great job here,” Spielman said. “Just the way it’s organized, the kids come in shape … we bring all of our coaches down and get an opportunity, because it’s local, to get an extra look on these guys.

“They have a lot of talented players here, and I’m sure we’ll be visiting on a lot of these guys,” Spielman added.

Spielman knows firsthand how advantageous the extra look is on some players.

The Vikings added Marcus Sherels and Adam Thielen as undrafted free agents after seeing them at Minnesota’s Pro Days in recent years.
Sherels had two punt returns for touchdowns in 2016, bringing his career total to five. Thielen set career highs in catches (69), yards (967) and touchdowns (five) last season.

“Marcus Sherels was here, I think Adam Thielen came through here as well,” Spielman said. “There are guys here that we’ve been able to sign.
“These guys, if they’re not drafted, may end up as college free agents, some of them even in our rookie minicamp,” Spielman added.
A handful of Vikings coaches ran positional drills, which gave them up-close looks at prospective players.

“Some of these guys are not diamonds in the rough. They’re well known,” Spielman said. “But it gives the coaches an opportunity to kind of work with them.
“They can get a sense on how the kid responds to direction … or if they’re teaching them a technique, how quickly they pick it up,” Spielman added. “It’s just another part of the process of getting in front of these kids and understand what we’re bringing in.”

A dozen players worked out inside the Gophers practice facility, including eight Minnesota players who played collegiately in 2016: defensive end Hendrick Ekpe, quarterback Mitch Leidner, linebacker Jack Lynn, cornerback Jalen Myrick, offensive lineman Jonah Pirsig and safety Damarius Travis.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article...-Pro-Day/663effe7-798d-4cef-8d31-90118366ea89

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom