Claeys rumoring...

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
In Iowa yesterday and we have a nephew who follows Hawk football pretty close.

There's rumoring down there that Tracy could be joining the Ferentz team as some type of defensive consultant...maybe the new staff position being talked about by the NCAA. Has anyone caught this too?

The nephew is very excited about the prospect. Given the sample size is one, plenty of bias.

Still, no doubt I want good things to happen for Coach Claeys but this is not on that list.

No idea if this has legs so remains to be seen.

I hope he does catch on somewhere. Seems like a defensive consultant would be a good place to start since most coordinator/coaching spots are probably filled already.

I was hoping Claeys would catch on at Kansas. It just seems perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Not a peep on Twitter about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Parker is the long time DC at Iowa following Norm Parker (no relation), both of whom had been with Ferentz since he's been at Iowa. I'd be very surprised if there were anything to this rumor unless it were just a "analyst" role for a year while he looks for a job. While I'm sure there is respect from Ferentz, I don't think they see themselves in need of outside consultation.

I was hoping Claeys would catch on at Kansas. It just seems perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I better go over and check the high tech, very professionally-looking website footballscoop.com to see what they have to say.

Well, every $ Iowa pays him is a $ we don't have to pay him. If he wants to freeze is @ss off in Iowa and work 60 hours/week for free, more power to him.

But seriously, I don't get why he would agree to any position lower than DC outside of it being Iowa out of spite. He'll be able to pick his DC job next off-season.

We didn't want him, he can go anywhere, except Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern, or Illinois.

FIFY

Don't want to see him anywhere in the BTW division.

Well, every $ Iowa pays him is a $ we don't have to pay him. If he wants to freeze is @ss off in Iowa and work 60 hours/week for free, more power to him.

But seriously, I don't get why he would agree to any position lower than DC outside of it being Iowa out of spite. He'll be able to pick his DC job next off-season.

I have to believe that the offset language pertains specifically to a coaching role. We hear all the time of guys doing consultancy work when they're still on a buyout from their previous position. I can't imagine that all of them are doing it for free.

I spend way too much time on the Iowa Rivals site and I have not read a peep regarding Claeys to Iowa. Iowa will likely add a defensive assistant when/if the NCAA approves a 10th coach but I doubt Claeys is looking to be an assistant for long.

Possible that if this is true, he is quite bitter and will do anything to help Iowa beat the Gophers next fall.

It is becoming fairly common for coaches to do this for a year while they wait for their next opportunity. It is viewed as better than being out of football. If you can do it at anU with a respected coach - all the better. TC doing this wouldn't have to be based on spite, but rather to help him get a better opportunity next year.

I have to believe that the offset language pertains specifically to a coaching role. We hear all the time of guys doing consultancy work when they're still on a buyout from their previous position. I can't imagine that all of them are doing it for free.

http://stmedia.startribune.com/documents/Claeyscontract.pdf

3.2.1 The University may terminate this Agreement at any time without "just cause" upon 30 days' written notice to Coach.

b. The second and remaining installments will be paid over the remaining Term of Employment in substantially equal amounts by pay period.

3.2.3 If Coach is employed post termination (during the Employment Term, had it naturally expired) in a comparable position, then payments under Section 3.2.1 shall cease."

Emphasis mine. It seems difficult to argue that a consultant who will probably spend all of his time reviewing film for $50,000 (or whatever) is a comparable position to an FBS head coach.

http://stmedia.startribune.com/documents/Claeyscontract.pdf

3.2.1 The University may terminate this Agreement at any time without "just cause" upon 30 days' written notice to Coach.

b. The second and remaining installments will be paid over the remaining Term of Employment in substantially equal amounts by pay period.

3.2.3 If Coach is employed post termination (during the Employment Term, had it naturally expired) in a comparable position, then payments under Section 3.2.1 shall cease."

Emphasis mine. It seems difficult to argue that a consultant who will probably spend all of his time reviewing film for $50,000 (or whatever) is a comparable position to an FBS head coach.

If this is the language, he can certainly double dip if it's anything except a HC position.

It is becoming fairly common for coaches to do this for a year while they wait for their next opportunity. It is viewed as better than being out of football. If you can do it at anU with a respected coach - all the better. TC doing this wouldn't have to be based on spite, but rather to help him get a better opportunity next year.

As you commented on another thread to speculation as to why Mayes was leaving you said there were many logical reasons outside of what was being mentioned. But here you go telling us why, please stop the madness, I'm getting confused.

As you commented on another thread to speculation as to why Mayes was leaving you said there were many logical reasons outside of what was being mentioned. But here you go telling us why, please stop the madness, I'm getting confused.

Huh? Since when do I care about speculation? Speculate away.

I discussed other reasons Mays may leave in that thread besides a theory that was presented and I did the same here on why TC may take an analyst job at Iowa besides a theory that was presented. Did I claim I know why TC would take the job?

Huh? Since when do I care about speculation? Speculate away.

I discussed other reasons Mays may leave in that thread besides a theory that was presented and I did the same here on why TC may take an analyst job at Iowa besides a theory that was presented. Did I claim I know why TC would take the job?

You offered an opinion, just like the other poster did. People are reading my friend, be consistent.

You offered an opinion, just like the other poster did. People are reading my friend, be consistent.

I still don't get your beef. I offered an opinion just like the other poster did. In both cases. In neither case did I say their opinion was wrong or that mine was right. Not sure I could have been any more consistent in this case, friend. I wasn't even rude about it. You may want to reread what I posted as you are not recalling correctly.

I still don't get your beef. I offered an opinion just like the other poster did. In both cases. In neither case did I say their opinion was wrong or that mine was right. Not sure I could have been any more consistent in this case, friend. I wasn't even rude about it. You may want to reread what I posted as you are not recalling correctly.

I can think of many logical reasons that have nothing at all to do with playing time or even football. (That's you)

Maybe there is something that matters to him more than football. Maybe he has a job opportunity. Maybe he likes their academics in a certain area. Maybe he doesn't like the Us academics in a certain area. Maybe his best friend is going to go there. Who knows John - but don't pretend that you know what "must" be driving CM's decision. (You again)

Maybe. Maybe it is to get max playing time as you guessed. I don't know. I simply said there are reasons outside of football he may transfer and provided some examples when asked. Maybe he won't even end up at SDSU. As far as I can tell that talk is based on twitter follows. (Yet again my friend)

Reread and posted for your review. I read these as being critical and actually I don't have a problem with that. But it points to a flaw when you do criticize someone for an opinion but don't accept the same on your part. Just saying my friend.

I believe he is suggesting that you hypocritically hammered John Galt for his opinion about CM leaving when JG was just expressing his opinion, like you are doing here.
Without looking at all of JG's posts, I don't really recall him claiming to know definitively about his theory on CM. It just seemed like an opinion, like the rest of GH posts.

I can think of many logical reasons that have nothing at all to do with playing time or even football. (That's you)

Maybe there is something that matters to him more than football. Maybe he has a job opportunity. Maybe he likes their academics in a certain area. Maybe he doesn't like the Us academics in a certain area. Maybe his best friend is going to go there. Who knows John - but don't pretend that you know what "must" be driving CM's decision. (You again)

Maybe. Maybe it is to get max playing time as you guessed. I don't know. I simply said there are reasons outside of football he may transfer and provided some examples when asked. Maybe he won't even end up at SDSU. As far as I can tell that talk is based on twitter follows. (Yet again my friend)

Reread and posted for your review. I read these as being critical and actually I don't have a problem with that. But it points to a flaw when you do criticize someone for an opinion but don't accept the same on your part. Just saying my friend.

Really? Saying "maybe" 8 times, that I "don't know" twice, and telling JG flat out that his theory "could be right" was viewed as critical. I don't think I'm the problem here.

I believe he is suggesting that you hypocritically hammered John Galt for his opinion about CM leaving when JG was just expressing his opinion, like you are doing here.
Without looking at all of JG's posts, I don't really recall him claiming to know definitively about his theory on CM. It just seemed like an opinion, like the rest of GH posts.

WTF? Hammered JG? Are you kidding me. Good Night guys.

Top Bottom