Different cultures

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Omaha World-Herald filled with full pages covering first week of UN spring practice, including several big stories on QB competition. Little or nothing in Twin Cities newspapers on Gopher first week. Change the culture!

Our spring coverage has been surprisingly lean so far, but we will never compete with the media coverage that the Huskers get. As a comparison, the big sports story-lines this weekend in Minnesota compared to Nebraska:

Minnesota:
Gopher basketball in BTT semis, now in NCAA Tournament, huge national turnaround story
Gopher hockey clinches sixth straight conference title, an NCAA record
Minnesota Wild has the top record in the NHL
Minnesota Timberwolves beat Golden State Warriors, chasing an 8th spot in the playoffs
MLS debuts in the state this weekend, home opener for new franchise
Spring Training story-lines, we have an MLB starting their season
NFL free agency, we have an NFL team
Minnesota state HS hockey tournmament, which is a HUGE event, incredible attendance
Gopher football, new Elite culture, QB competition

Sports story-lines this weekend in Nebraska:
Spring practice for Nebraska, QB competition

While I'd LOVE more Gopher coverage, I wouldn't trade our sports culture as a state for theirs. The contrast in sports story-lines over this weekend are incredible between the two cities.

Go Gophers!!

I'm suffering from a bad case of semantic satiation when it comes to the word "culture".

Omaha World-Herald filled with full pages covering first week of UN spring practice, including several big stories on QB competition. Little or nothing in Twin Cities newspapers on Gopher first week. Change the culture!

I'm all for more Gopher Football coverage, but the winter sports alternatives in Omaha are a "tad" limited in comparison to Minnesota.

Our spring coverage has been surprisingly lean so far, but we will never compete with the media coverage that the Huskers get. As a comparison, the big sports story-lines this weekend in Minnesota compared to Nebraska:

Minnesota:
Gopher basketball in BTT semis, now in NCAA Tournament, huge national turnaround story
Minnesota Timberwolves beat Golden State Warriors, chasing an 8th spot in the playoffs
Minnesota state HS hockey tournmament, which is a HUGE event, incredible attendance

While I'd LOVE more Gopher coverage, I wouldn't trade our sports culture as a state for theirs. The contrast in sports story-lines over this weekend are incredible between the two cities.

Go Gophers!!

Of course we might get more coverage if media were allowed at all practices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota:

Go Gophers!!

This always this until they have a big, BCS Bowl, season.

There were articles in both Twin Cities papers, but only two practices last week. The practices were closed to the public; did that include the media? I think so, and if so, I'm not sure there was anything here for the media to report on.

you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think

You guys nailed it. I (unfortunately and begrudgingly) live in Omaha and the only thing these people have to live for is Cornholer football. If any team ever does well (Creighton basketball, Nebraska Volleyball to name a few) the people hop on the bandwagon like any other city. They think they are the best fans in the world but they are like any every other group of fans anywhere else...

4214f54345b02e79e0f1ab41b3054490.jpg

Evidence: Here is a picture from a few years ago when they had a 50/50 season. Empty seats like anywhere else. They claim to have the greatest consecutive sellout...they may sell the tickets but they don't always attend.

In the Twin Cities market, every single team has a hard-core fan base that feels "their" team doesn't get enough media coverage compared to other teams.

From my perspective as a guy in his 60's who has been reading the TC papers since high school, the Vikings are the #1 team in the Twin Cities market, and it's not even close. #2 depends on which team is in season - AND which team is having a good year.

For better or worse, TC fans are front-runners and bandwagon-jumpers. They love to follow the "hot" team - but as soon as it stops being the "hot" team, they jump ship and look for the next "hot" team. Over the last 45+ years, I've seen the North Stars, the Twins, the Kicks, the Wild and Gopher hoops all take turns as the "hot" team.

Gopher FB has had a few brief moments in the spotlight. A little buzz during the Lou Holtz years, and, of course, the Michigan Game. (the Friday night 4th-quarter horror). That was the moment that could have been. If the Gophers win that game, I think it changes the public attitude toward the Gophs. But losing that game - and the manner in which it was lost - solidified the "same old Gophers" mindset that gets trotted out every time the FB program has a setback. In my nearly 50 years as a Gopher FB fan, that one game, I believe, had the single biggest impact on public perception of the program.

In the Twin Cities market, every single team has a hard-core fan base that feels "their" team doesn't get enough media coverage compared to other teams.

From my perspective as a guy in his 60's who has been reading the TC papers since high school, the Vikings are the #1 team in the Twin Cities market, and it's not even close. #2 depends on which team is in season - AND which team is having a good year.

For better or worse, TC fans are front-runners and bandwagon-jumpers. They love to follow the "hot" team - but as soon as it stops being the "hot" team, they jump ship and look for the next "hot" team. Over the last 45+ years, I've seen the North Stars, the Twins, the Kicks, the Wild and Gopher hoops all take turns as the "hot" team.

Gopher FB has had a few brief moments in the spotlight. A little buzz during the Lou Holtz years, and, of course, the Michigan Game. (the Friday night 4th-quarter horror). That was the moment that could have been. If the Gophers win that game, I think it changes the public attitude toward the Gophs. But losing that game - and the manner in which it was lost - solidified the "same old Gophers" mindset that gets trotted out every time the FB program has a setback. In my nearly 50 years as a Gopher FB fan, that one game, I believe, had the single biggest impact on public perception of the program.

This is an awful lot of talk about an event that I believe we have all agreed to not talk about. Certain things never really happened.

Very good post. Agree 100%.

Especially the point of the Michigan game. That game single-handedly knocked the program back for years in many different ways.

One other thing for folks to put in perspective - how much of the LA Times sports page is devoted to either USC or UCLA spring practice? I'm betting you'll see a lot more coverage of Clippers, Lakers, Kings, Chargers, Rams, Dodgers, Angels and maybe even Galaxy. And frankly rightfully so. Spring practice is interesting, but it's not like every decision is made public during the process. When players are banged up even a little they are held out, so when player X does well it means very little. Plus many of the freshmen aren't even on campus. Whereas even free agency in the NFL means a lot more to the team's success than some scrimmages.

An example is a few years ago when a couple of QB's were hurt (Gray and Shortell???) and Moses Alipate was looking relatively good in spring practice. Coach Kill ended up changing his position before Fall because he couldn't keep his weight down. Yes, Coach Kill wanted to establish his authority on the team and make an example of him. But on the same sense, if Alipate was legitimately the best option or even second best option, does anyone really think Coach Kill does that? I think if Alipate really was the best or second best option that Coach Kill would have found a different way to punish him and at least gave him a chance to earn his position back. But leaving spring practice I would have thought Alipate had a legitimate chance of starting.

Of course we might get more coverage if media were allowed at all practices!

I have not seen one article concerning how a returning player has reacted to Fleck. I have not read a word about Fleck's analysis of the returning talent. How is the staff gelling? You don't need to go to practice to find something interesting to write about.

I have not seen one article concerning how a returning player has reacted to Fleck. I have not read a word about Fleck's analysis of the returning talent. How is the staff gelling? You don't need to go to practice to find something interesting to write about.

Practice is where media is allowed access to Fleck and players. Can't get Fleck's analysis or player reactions if you aren't talking to them.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nebraska has culture......agriculture.

You are forgetting what your state says the idiot from a state that hovers around the top 5 ag producers in the country.... the state doesn't end at the 494 694 loop

Says the idiot from a state that hovers around the top 5 ag producers in the country.... the state doesn't end at the 494 694 loop

MN has it all: real city, real country, and real wilderness. NE has just *culture but -culture. That's the difference.

Top Bottom