Murphy Time

gopherlaney

Reaction score
In both the MTSU and Butler "How you beat them" reports on ESPN, rebounding was listed as both teams are small up front.

We need good ol' scrappy Murph to beast mode. We also need Dupree and Amir to be strong with the ball as MTSU runs a 1-3-1. We will not survive a repeat of the Iowa performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In both the MTSU and Butler "How you beat them" reports on ESPN, rebounding was listed as both teams are small up front.

We need good ol' scrappy Murph to beast mode. We also need Dupree and Amir to be strong with the ball as MTSU runs a 1-3-1. We will not survive a repeat of the Iowa performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than that bad stretch against Iowa, the Gophs have eviscerated zones this year. This could be a big advantage.

Exactly. We need high motor murphy to show up and get the ball rolling with a couple of rebounds and put-backs. That should get him going. We're gonna need him to be on because MTSU isn't that big up front. To me the big thing will be how the officiating is. If they favor more of a normal big ten game, we should be okay. If they are calling tick-tack fouls then we could be in trouble.

It seems to me that Lynch will be an even bigger factor than Murphy. MTSU has three high scorers, two of which are forwards. They don't shoot a ton of threes, so it seems that the bulk of their points come in the paint. It's going to be on Lynch to keep their (undersized) bigs away from the basket. If he can stay out of foul trouble, I think this game is much more in the Gophers' favor than most talking heads are predicting.

It seems to me that Lynch will be an even bigger factor than Murphy. MTSU has three high scorers, two of which are forwards. They don't shoot a ton of threes, so it seems that the bulk of their points come in the paint. It's going to be on Lynch to keep their (undersized) bigs away from the basket. If he can stay out of foul trouble, I think this game is much more in the Gophers' favor than most talking heads are predicting.

But with two talented forwards, help defense from Murph will be key.

foul trouble will dictate this game, Pitino needs to find minutes where he can get some Bakary and one other minutes.

MTSU doesn't get to the line much and they don't draw a lot of fouls. Hopefully we can stay out of foul trouble and protect the paint. This will be a tough matchup with a tight rotation, but should be a lot of fun.

Other than that bad stretch against Iowa, the Gophs have eviscerated zones this year. This could be a big advantage.

Agree, our guards are experienced enough that a zone defense hasn't been a big issue. Zones have holes. It comes down to individual match-up. Can our 1st team all big ten pt. guard neutralize Potts? Can 2 of our 3rd team all big ten forward, 1st team all Big10 freshman, and the Big10 defensive player of the year do the same with Upshaw and Williams? Neither team has a deep bench.

Agree, our guards are experienced enough that a zone defense hasn't been a big issue. Zones have holes. It comes down to individual match-up. Can our 1st team all big ten pt. guard neutralize Potts? Can 2 of our 3rd team all big ten forward, 1st team all Big10 freshman, and the Big10 defensive player of the year do the same with Upshaw and Williams? Neither team has a deep bench.

McBrayer and Coffey could have a big game slashing to the bucket.

Personally I'd love to see Coffey guard Potts. He won't get many shots off against a 6'8 athletic defender.

Personally I'd love to see Coffey guard Potts. He won't get many shots off against a 6'8 athletic defender.

I was thinking about this last night. Potts is not super quick and doesn't go to the rim a lot. Coffey will shut him down.

Top Bottom