Looking at Middle Tennessee State

Correct on both accounts, but MTSU was not nearly as good of a team last year (#119 on KenPom). Vegas hits about 50/50 on the lines or they lose money, so I trust they have a decent feeling on this one.

It was MSU -16.5 and Syracuse -6.

What do you mean Vegas hits 50/50 on the lines? They aren't predicting an outcome, they are trying to get even money on each side of the line when they release a spread.

Public money is all going on a 12 seed like Middle Tennessee, because everyone wants to predict those upsets. I'd be surprised if the sharp betters don't find enormous value in MN at +1... according to Sargin ratings the line should be closer to 3.5 or 4

What do you mean Vegas hits 50/50 on the lines? They aren't predicting an outcome, they are trying to get even money on each side of the line when they release a spread.

Public money is all going on a 12 seed like Middle Tennessee, because everyone wants to predict those upsets. I'd be surprised if the sharp betters don't find enormous value in MN at +1... according to Sargin ratings the line should be closer to 3.5 or 4

You are right, the smart and sharp betters will all bet on Minnesota at +1, especially if there are enough chumps out there who listen to the talking heads who lazily predict the MTSU upset here and put their money on MTSU.

MidTSU is not better than the gophers. They have less talent, less size and have played an extremely easy schedule (167th SOS)

My expectation is that if the Gophers show up, they win by 6-10. That isn't to say we if struggle with fouls or offensive flow, or MidTSu shoots lights out like they did against Sparty last year, this team can't beat us, but anyone that thinks they are better just doesn't know much about basketball.

All the magic they had in their big upset was lost after getting smoked by 11 seeded Syracuse. This is a heads up game and the team that wants it more will take it- if the Gophers want it more- it shouldn't be a problem.

Let's Go!
RTB

Luckily for Middle Tennessee State, they were smart enough to put the word "Tennessee" in their school name so we'd have some clue where this directional podunk state college is located.

I'm more worried about our team than MTSU. They're a solid team but I don't get the feeling that they're better than any of the B1G tourney teams and we've beaten all of them except WI. Our main issues will be what they always are. If we stay out of foul trouble and our guards fight the urge to try to do everything themselves on O we should be fine. They've got good players but every B1G tourney team has better players top to bottom and a better 'star' guy. Are any of their guys better than Swanigan, Happ, Melo Trimble, Bridges, Walton, etc? I doubt it. So while yes, MTSU certainly COULD win, I think our A game beats theirs at this point. My fear is that with Springs out our A game isn't as good as it was 2 weeks ago and that we may struggle with newer lineups and fatigue.

Fatigue could definitely be a factor if Pitino sticks with the 6 man rotation and MTS is playing with 10-11 guys. Lets just not shoot ourselves in the foot with stupid fouls.

Fatigue shouldn't be that big of an issue for this one game should it? With Springs out is likely ups each guard's play by like 5-6 minutes a game. Sure this means Mason may need to play in the upper 30 minutes but we've played 6 OT games this year with an already not very deep roster.

In college basketball there is a timeout nearly every few minutes where guys can catch their breath. This is D1 basketball not Wednesday night men's league.

I agree that I'm taking the gophs (I see pk) right now due to that factor. That said, even if the line is obly -3 in reality, that's a lot less than a 5/12 should be and therefore either there are bad signs for us or MTSU should be a 7 or 8 seed.

Vegas does try to rope people in with their bets but over the long run, they need to land on 50/50 or they'd go broke. Maybe this is a game they're suckering people in with, I don't know. I don't see MTSU being a major public team simply because they had an upset last year.

I think fatigue is a huge factor from now on, short breaks can really enhance top performance at any fitness level, especially at the level these guys are playing at. Doesn't have to be much of a break but playing 40 minutes does not bode well.

I think fatigue is a huge factor from now on, short breaks can really enhance top performance at any fitness level, especially at the level these guys are playing at. Doesn't have to be much of a break but playing 40 minutes does not bode well.

I think you will either see Coffey at the 2 or Sharp even if only for 3-5 minutes. I'm guessing the fact that they had zero prep time factored into Mason playing 40 on Saturday.

I disagree to an extent. Obviously breaks do help, but plenty of good teams play with shortened benches this time of the year. You want your best 5 guys on the floor as much as possible. There is no guarantee of tomorrow.

Someone tell me when we got the new kid: (From Yahoo bracket profile thing as your making picks)

Minnesota was expected to finish among the dregs of the Big Ten, but it used a dominant defense to advance to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2013. Ranked 15th in defensive efficiency by KenPom, the Golden Gophers are led by 6-10, 260, center Reggie Kelly, the conference's defensive player of the year who ranks second in the nation in blocks at 3.47 bpg. With Kelly (8.4 ppg, 6.2 rbg) patrolling the lane, Minnesota's backcourt is free to play lockdown perimeter defense without fear of penetration. The Golden Gophers hold opponents to 39.8 percent field-goal shooting (14th in the nation), including 30.5 percent from 3-point range (11th). They aren't as efficient offensively (81st), however, but guards Nate Mason (15.5 ppg, 5.0 apg, 1.3 spg) and Akeem Springs (9.5 ppg) shoot 37.1 and 38.3 percent from downtown, respectively. The key might be 6-6 forward Jordan Murphy (11.1 ppg, 8.7 rpg), who posted double-doubles in seven of the last nine regular-season games as Minnesota finished 8-1. The Gophers advanced to the semis of the Big Ten tournament before being toppled by a red-hot Michigan squad.

Someone tell me when we got the new kid: (From Yahoo bracket profile thing as your making picks)

Minnesota was expected to finish among the dregs of the Big Ten, but it used a dominant defense to advance to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2013. Ranked 15th in defensive efficiency by KenPom, the Golden Gophers are led by 6-10, 260, center Reggie Kelly, the conference's defensive player of the year who ranks second in the nation in blocks at 3.47 bpg. With Kelly (8.4 ppg, 6.2 rbg) patrolling the lane, Minnesota's backcourt is free to play lockdown perimeter defense without fear of penetration. The Golden Gophers hold opponents to 39.8 percent field-goal shooting (14th in the nation), including 30.5 percent from 3-point range (11th). They aren't as efficient offensively (81st), however, but guards Nate Mason (15.5 ppg, 5.0 apg, 1.3 spg) and Akeem Springs (9.5 ppg) shoot 37.1 and 38.3 percent from downtown, respectively. The key might be 6-6 forward Jordan Murphy (11.1 ppg, 8.7 rpg), who posted double-doubles in seven of the last nine regular-season games as Minnesota finished 8-1. The Gophers advanced to the semis of the Big Ten tournament before being toppled by a red-hot Michigan squad.

Don't forget about Dupree McGruber.

The love that Middle Tennessee St is getting reminds me a lot how everyone used to jump on the Murray St. bandwagon.

Our last appearance in the tourney, we were the 10 seed that everybody saw beating UCLA at the 7 seed. The script is flipped, albeit different seeds.

We might lose some three point shooting, but maybe this Kelly will help shore up the defense with Akeem now out.

Doubt there will be many Badger fans that go just to root against the Gophers since they are not playing in Milwaukee. Anyways this match up would worry me more if MTSU was good from three, I think they are worst at it than we are, despite playing against lesser competition. seems like they're best two players are in the front court where Murphy and Lynch await. I admit that if they are in foul trouble that opens the door for the Blue raiders, and i also think they're guards will have trouble with McBreyer and Coffey's length on both sides of the ball. Throw in First team All Big Ten Nate Mason as the best player on the court to boot. I also think to battle fatigue they'll need about 5-10 minutes from Hurt or Gilbert, probably Hurt because he is the better defender, though if we get down early I could see Gilbert getting a little run

I've gone to tourney games when they were in the Dome with no rooting interest. I'm not arguing they are going specifically to root against us. I'm arguing that there are probably a lot of Wisconsin fans who will buy tickets to watch a couple tourney games. And while there, cheer like heck for MTSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our last appearance in the tourney, we were the 10 seed that everybody saw beating UCLA at the 7 seed. The script is flipped, albeit different seeds.

Just to clarify we were seeded 11th vs a 6 seeded UCLA

All the magic they had in their big upset was lost after getting smoked by 11 seeded Syracuse. This is a heads up game and the team that wants it more will take it- if the Gophers want it more- it shouldn't be a problem.

MTSU played the 10 seeded Syracuse.

Sorry I know it doesn't matter that much but these mistakes bugged me for whatever reason.

Long time follower, first time poster so lets make it a long one:

I hadn’t seen any of MTSU all season so while everyone was tuning into the Bachelor last night, I watched the replay of their game against Florida Atlantic in Murfreesboro from March 4th. Take the following with a grain of salt as it’s one game and I’m no scouting expert. It was also against an FAU team with an RPI of 282 and went 8-20 against D-1 opponents.

A few observations:
--Outside of Giddy Potts, who looks like a fullback, they don’t look to shoot from deep much. In this game, they really didn’t need to (3-11 as team, Potts had all three). He went for 30 off the bench this game and was scoring every which way. I anticipate he’s a normal starter. He’ll definitely get his shots up, scorers mentality. Keep track of him and the 3 ball doesn’t concern me a whole lot. To compare, Michigan and MTSU shoot a similar percentage from 3 but Michigan has attempted 250 more this season (Over 7 more per game)

--JaCorey Williams, I am concerned about. This will be our toughest matchup. His bread and butter is a jump shot from the elbow and also uses his size to take his man to the rim. Don't see him in post up situations much. He’s 6’8 and probably has 30lbs on Coffey. I’m not sure Murph has the quickness to defend him on the perimeter.

--Reggie Upshaw was pretty quiet. FAU fronted him and doubled down every time he touched it, which doesn’t surprise me due to MTSUs hesitancy to shoot from deep. Seems to be pretty versatile. Will shoot it from beyond the arc but seems to make his living in the paint.

--Their point guard, Dixon is a freshman and former teammate of Curry. He knows that he’s their facilitator and does a solid job of it. Will drive and seemed to finish well but most points came on the fast break or defensive lapses. Mason will give him fits on both ends. Love this matchup for the home team!!

I think there is definitely a potential to force some turnovers in the half court. FAU had 15 pts on 10 forced turnovers and I think our length and physicality will present something they have yet to see this season. FAU hung around the whole first half when they were able to score and get their defense set. MTSU thrived off of creating turnovers, forcing bad shots that led to run outs and a more up tempo pace that they prefer. Assuming that can probably be said for a lot of their games. I think we’re tested and smart enough to not put ourselves in those situations. MTSU had 20 pts off turnovers.

In my opinion, Lynch and Murphy have the capability to have a very productive day. The front line reminded me a lot of Penn State. Talented but I didn’t see a Nick Ward type bruiser or a prototypical Wisconsin big that can tend to give Lynch troubles. I will say that they all rebounded 1-5 so we’ll need to crash the boards and limit the offensive rebounds. They had 13 second chance pts and out rebounded FAU 44-21!! That does worry me a bit.

That’s all I got. Not sure what it provides any of you but I know I don’t feel quite as blind going into this game. MTSU will present a challenge and they no doubt have the capability to get hot but not sure I saw the world beaters that some are making them out to be. If we can rebound and get our defense set, I feel comfortable saying we’ll take this one something like 71-64

The thing I worry about most is not their offense it's then playing a zone we haven't really seen much of this year if we don't give them turnovers and easy buckets I think we win rather easily.. barring Foul trouble they won't score much around the paint against our half court defense Reggie is key.. I also think we have to crash the offensive glass and get out in transition

Here are teams that have won four or fewer games against top 100 RPI teams in the field (seeded 14 or better):
<style type="text/css">
table.tableizer-table {
font-size: 12px;
border: 1px solid #CCC;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}
.tableizer-table td {
padding: 4px;
margin: 3px;
}
.tableizer-table th {
background-color: #104E8B;
color: #FFF;
font-weight: bold;
}
</style>
<table class="tableizer-table">
<thead><tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Team</th><th>Wins RPI <100</th><th>Seed</th></tr></thead><tbody>
<tr><td>Wichita State</td><td>3</td><td>10</td></tr>
<tr><td>Middle Tennesse</td><td>4</td><td>12</td></tr>
<tr><td>Princeton</td><td>1</td><td>12</td></tr>
<tr><td>East Tennessee</td><td>2</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>Bucknell</td><td>3</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>Winthrop</td><td>3</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>Vermont</td><td>0</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>New Mexico State</td><td>3</td><td>14</td></tr>
<tr><td>Florida Gulf Coast</td><td>1</td><td>14</td></tr>
<tr><td>Iona</td><td>1</td><td>14</td></tr>
<tr><td>Kent State</td><td>2</td><td>14</td></tr>
</tbody></table>

Tried to look up worst losses, too much work for me to compare all the teams because I'm lazy. But I don't think there is a team in the field seeded 14 or better that has losses as bad as MTSU - a couple 200+ RPI losses. Not saying they're a pushover, but they haven't beat anyone good and have lost to some pretty bad teams.

Here are teams that have won four or fewer games against top 100 RPI teams in the field (seeded 14 or better):
<style type="text/css">
table.tableizer-table {
font-size: 12px;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}
.tableizer-table td {
padding: 4px;
margin: 3px;
}
.tableizer-table th {
background-color: #104E8B;
color: #FFF;
font-weight: bold;
}
</style>
<table class="tableizer-table">
<thead><tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Team</th><th>Wins RPI <100</th><th>Seed</th></tr></thead><tbody>
<tr><td>Wichita State</td><td>3</td><td>10</td></tr>
<tr><td>Middle Tennesse</td><td>4</td><td>12</td></tr>
<tr><td>Princeton</td><td>1</td><td>12</td></tr>
<tr><td>East Tennessee</td><td>2</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>Bucknell</td><td>3</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>Winthrop</td><td>3</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>Vermont</td><td>0</td><td>13</td></tr>
<tr><td>New Mexico State</td><td>3</td><td>14</td></tr>
<tr><td>Florida Gulf Coast</td><td>1</td><td>14</td></tr>
<tr><td>Iona</td><td>1</td><td>14</td></tr>
<tr><td>Kent State</td><td>2</td><td>14</td></tr>
</tbody></table>

Tried to look up worst losses, too much work for me to compare all the teams because I'm lazy. But I don't think there is a team in the field seeded 14 or better that has losses as bad as MTSU - a couple 200+ RPI losses. Not saying they're a pushover, but they haven't beat anyone good and have lost to some pretty bad teams.

They only have 1 loss vs a 200+ rated team I believe, but they have 2 HOME losses vs teams rated 100+, that would be considered a bad loss even if it was a ROAD loss, but its really bad when its a home loss. Their one loss to a team rated over 200, was their game vs UTEP, who is rated about #222, and it as a road game.

They did have 2 really close wins against #338 FIU, both 3 point wins, one road, one home, that are nothing to write home about, but at least they were wins.

Long time follower, first time poster so lets make it a long one:

I hadn’t seen any of MTSU all season so while everyone was tuning into the Bachelor last night, I watched the replay of their game against Florida Atlantic in Murfreesboro from March 4th. Take the following with a grain of salt as it’s one game and I’m no scouting expert. It was also against an FAU team with an RPI of 282 and went 8-20 against D-1 opponents.

A few observations:
--Outside of Giddy Potts, who looks like a fullback, they don’t look to shoot from deep much. In this game, they really didn’t need to (3-11 as team, Potts had all three). He went for 30 off the bench this game and was scoring every which way. I anticipate he’s a normal starter. He’ll definitely get his shots up, scorers mentality. Keep track of him and the 3 ball doesn’t concern me a whole lot. To compare, Michigan and MTSU shoot a similar percentage from 3 but Michigan has attempted 250 more this season (Over 7 more per game)

--JaCorey Williams, I am concerned about. This will be our toughest matchup. His bread and butter is a jump shot from the elbow and also uses his size to take his man to the rim. Don't see him in post up situations much. He’s 6’8 and probably has 30lbs on Coffey. I’m not sure Murph has the quickness to defend him on the perimeter.

--Reggie Upshaw was pretty quiet. FAU fronted him and doubled down every time he touched it, which doesn’t surprise me due to MTSUs hesitancy to shoot from deep. Seems to be pretty versatile. Will shoot it from beyond the arc but seems to make his living in the paint.

--Their point guard, Dixon is a freshman and former teammate of Curry. He knows that he’s their facilitator and does a solid job of it. Will drive and seemed to finish well but most points came on the fast break or defensive lapses. Mason will give him fits on both ends. Love this matchup for the home team!!

I think there is definitely a potential to force some turnovers in the half court. FAU had 15 pts on 10 forced turnovers and I think our length and physicality will present something they have yet to see this season. FAU hung around the whole first half when they were able to score and get their defense set. MTSU thrived off of creating turnovers, forcing bad shots that led to run outs and a more up tempo pace that they prefer. Assuming that can probably be said for a lot of their games. I think we’re tested and smart enough to not put ourselves in those situations. MTSU had 20 pts off turnovers.

In my opinion, Lynch and Murphy have the capability to have a very productive day. The front line reminded me a lot of Penn State. Talented but I didn’t see a Nick Ward type bruiser or a prototypical Wisconsin big that can tend to give Lynch troubles. I will say that they all rebounded 1-5 so we’ll need to crash the boards and limit the offensive rebounds. They had 13 second chance pts and out rebounded FAU 44-21!! That does worry me a bit.

That’s all I got. Not sure what it provides any of you but I know I don’t feel quite as blind going into this game. MTSU will present a challenge and they no doubt have the capability to get hot but not sure I saw the world beaters that some are making them out to be. If we can rebound and get our defense set, I feel comfortable saying we’ll take this one something like 71-64

Thank you for posting this! I don't have time to watch the replays, so I appreciate your insight! I really like the fact that Williams plays away from the basket, that should help keep Lynch out of foul trouble. Depending on how they guard him, it could pose foul trouble for Murphy though. Based on everything that I've heard about MTSU, if they miss some shots they'll be in trouble. It's hard to stay in games when you're not getting points in the paint. As you mentioned, rebound without fouling and advance. Go Gophers!

Vegas Insider now has us as a consensus underdog, with MTSU at -1. Has a 5 seed ever been the underdog before? I did come across this tidbit though, when reading over a Tourney guide posted on Reddit.

"In games where the better seed, has a better Ken Pomeroy ranking & is an underdog, the better seed is 12-3 overall and 13-2 ats."

Maybe we should hope the final line has us as the dog.

Vegas Insider now has us as a consensus underdog, with MTSU at -1. Has a 5 seed ever been the underdog before? I did come across this tidbit though, when reading over a Tourney guide posted on Reddit.

"In games where the better seed, has a better Ken Pomeroy ranking & is an underdog, the better seed is 12-3 overall and 13-2 ats."

Maybe we should hope the final line has us as the dog.

Lol. That is a very specific stat! Cool information though!

In the first round for teams without Tourney experience, teams can play scared if the score is close late. The crowds tend to root for the underdog, wait is that us now?

there was an article out saying this was the first 5 seed as an underdog since 1999, but I don't recall the teams referenced. I think we'll know early how this one will end. If the refs are blowing the whistle we're in trouble, otherwise I think we'll be fine

"But the Blue Raiders are the first since 12th-seeded Rhode Island, coming off an Elite Eight trip a year earlier, was installed as a one-point favorite over fifth-seeded Charlotte.

Rhode Island lost that game, Lamar Odom’s lone NCAA tournament appearance, by 11 points."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/m...-seed-to-be-favored-since-1999-175643401.html

a 10 seed that made it to the final 4. mtsu lost to a hot SU last year
I would like the hear more about their zones as well - how effective etc... Our D is good and not too concerned about that - but scoring against their zone D isn't something that the Gophers have seen much this year.

Great analysis I found from a college basketball site. http://three-man-weave.com/3mw/2017/3/15/2016-17-ncaa-tournament-preview-south-region

"Initial Thoughts:
This is going to be the sexiest upset pick of the entire first round. After last year’s spectacular Michigan State upset, Middle Tennessee is now a well-known, public entity and many, including me, thought they deserved to be seeded higher than a 12 (aside: I called MTSU the best 15-seed of all-time last year before the tournament – please allow me to shamelessly toot my own horn). On the other hand, despite all their success this season, I’d wager a hefty amount that most average basketball fans don’t 1) know anything about Minnesota and 2) think they are over-seeded on the 5-line. That last part may be true (I had them at a 6), but rest assured the Gophers are not a team to take lightly.

Minnesota on Offense:
The Gophers are a very talented young team, but offense isn’t really their strong suit. Minnesota mostly runs a dribble hand-off offense at the top of the key that usually results in one of the guards (Nate Mason, Dupree McBrayer, or Amir Coffey) attacking the basket from the wings. When this motion is working, it can be beautiful to watch, with wing slashers able to take the ball to the rack or dump to a post-man when his man steps up to help. However, this offense can also lead to inefficiencies. Michigan was able to shut down the Gopher weave attack, forcing the Minny guards to drive east and west rather than the preferred north and south. This lateral-to-the-bucket movement can lead to turnovers and poor shot selection. Minnesota ranks 23rd in the country in two-point jumper attempts, and while most of these jumpers are within 15 feet, it’s not the most ideal form of offense. The Gophers are a below-average shooting team from both inside and behind the arc. The frontcourt tandem of Jordan Murphy, Eric Curry, and Reggie Lynch helps make up for this futility with offensive boards, but strong rebounding squads can thwart this second-chance reliance. There are positives to the Gopher attack, however – Nate Mason is one of the best point guards in the country and possesses one of the best assist-to-turnover ratios in the nation (5.0apg; 1.8tpg). His vision sets up easy flushes and open looks that are all too valuable for this team. Coffey, a fantastic freshman, Murphy, a rising Big Ten star, and McBrayer, a much-improved sophomore, all get to the line at a high rate, which often bails out the mediocre jump-shooting approach.

Middle Tennessee is going to be able to compete with the Gophers on their defensive end. The Blue Raiders are the 12th best defensive rebounding team in the country behind Arkansas transfer Jacorey Williams and 2016 Tournament hero Reggie Upshaw. The pair combined to average over 14 boards per contest this season, and should be able to fend off the bigger Lynch / Murphy / Curry combo. This first point should be troubling to Gopher fans – the next two should be uplifting. MTSU can be scored on via the Gophers’ preferred method. MTSU is vulnerable in and around the paint area, allowing a high percentage of 10-15 foot shot attempts and they are a bottom-60 squad when it comes to not sending opponents to the free throw line. With a thin frontcourt, foul trouble to Williams or Upshaw could spell trouble for MTSU.

Middle Tennessee on Offense:
The Blue Raider offense is a three-pronged attack led by Williams, Upshaw, and the superlative Giddy Potts. Williams and Upshaw are both versatile forwards able to post up their defenders or take them off the dribble. This last bit works especially well against slower bigs that don’t like to get out and defend on the perimeter. A guy like Reggie Lynch could be exploited here – Jordan Murphy can probably hold his own. Potts is within his shooting range as soon as he steps into the gym. The junior guard shot a stupid 50% from three last season, but “only” 39% this year. He is MTSU’s only consistent three-point threat. Like the Gophers, the Raiders have a tendency to settle for “inefficient” jumpers, particularly Williams who often likes to pull up from about 18 feet instead of taking his man to the rack. Despite sometimes making “inefficient” shot choices, Williams shot an impressive 55.2% from the field this season, and the Raiders as a team ranked 28th in 2PFG% and 82nd in 3PFG%. Coach Kermit Davis, a trendy pick for a major coaching hire next season, prefers to play at a slowed-down tempo – MTSU will milk the shot clock down until about 10 seconds before settling for a shot. This style favors a mid-major upset bid as it limits possessions and, therefore, opponent scoring.

As implied in the section above, the Gophers didn’t earn a 5-seed because of their offense – they earned one because of their defense, which ranked 18th in the country per KenPom.com. Minnesota doesn’t pressure and force turnovers, nor do they necessarily dominate the defensive glass; they just make it very, very difficult to get off a clean shot. The Gophers’ defense ranked 11th in 3PFG%, 23rd in 2PFG%, 3rd in BLK%, and 38th in foul rate. These metrics indicate the Gophers are experts at defending without fouling and contesting jump shooters. As a team, Minnesota ranks 6th in the country in post-up points per possession allowed and 33rd in spot-up points per possession allowed – worrisome for a MTSU squad that likes to work through the post and shoot mid-range jumpers.

Key Factor(s):
Which offense will be able to crack the other’s defense? This matchup features two squads that can defend the other, particularly the Gophers when they guard the Raiders. MTSU will need to defend without fouling in order to limit easy free-throw points and keep their most valuable players on the floor. On the other side, Minnesota will need another shooter to step up. With Akeem Springs lost for the rest of the season, Mason becomes the only volume three-point shooter on the floor. McBrayer has the potential to be this guy, as he converted a team-high 41.7% of his attempts this year. Pitino’s crew should also look to work the drives and Lynch post-ups in hopes of taking Williams out of the game early. Tempo will also be a factor in this one with MTSU preferring the slow-down and the Gophers looking to push the pace.

Final Predictions:
I feel like taking Minnesota is actually taking the “underdog” in this one – and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. When 75% of people in your bracket pool miss this game because of the perceived awesomeness of MTSU (I actually do really like this team) and the “12 vs. 5” matchup lore, you’ll be sitting pretty with Minnesota in your second round."

Top Bottom