Looking at Middle Tennessee State

Correct me if I am wrong, but during March madness don't teams get a larger allocation of full timeouts? Also, isn't halftime longer? If so, that will be a big benefit for this team allowing our 6 man rotation plenty of opportunity for rest. Regardless, would love to see Gilbert get some minutes. I think he could be a huge spark plug if he can drain some threes!

half time 5 minutes longer. More full timeouts and fewer 30 second timeouts (still 5 total). More reviews. Games go about 20 minutes longer during the tourney

I think of the year Curry and Davidson went on a run, they were the hot low seed that year. There is always a hot low seed, and a lot of times they win. And even though it's nice to play close to home in Milwaukee, I imagine a lot of Badger fans will go to the game and cheer for MTSU, I don't think this will be much of an advantage. It would for the second round game.

Tough tough game, we will have to play well to win, period. An off game and we lose.

Really? That seems like kind of a waste of time and money. If Wisconsin were to play a tournament game at US Bank Stadium, would Gopher fans come out in droves just to cheer for their rival's opponent, particularly if the Gophers were playing a tournament game of their own at another site? Do tournament games draw a lot of neutral, local observers? I could see Butler fans at the game cheering for the upset, but they're a small private school with 10% of the enrollment of the U. I guess I just have a hard time seeing such a large amount of Badger boo birds coming to a game that doesn't feature their team that it would cancel out the number of Gopher fans there.

People go for fun, tickets are at a premium so it must be a ton of Wiscon people w tickets.

Greetings, Gophers! I'm looking forward to this matchup, and learning more about your squad. (A little bit of revenge for the NIT loss would be nice, too).

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about our team. As you may have gathered, the general consensus among our fanbase is a feeling of confidence. I don't think it's entirely misplaced; this is a mentally tough, defensive-minded bunch that has had a huge target on its back all season, and generally rises to the occasion. However, I think our folks are underestimating Minnesota, primarily due to a lack of knowledge about your team, as well as the Cinderella hype machine that is operating at full force currently. We aren't used to this kind of attention, and there's naturally a lot of excitement surrounding this season and opportunity for us.

I, for one, have no illusions about an upset being a sure thing. You guys are obviously the best team we will have played all season, and have been through a gauntlet of a schedule relative to us. I anticipate a tight, well-played game, with limited turnovers. I am not heading into Thursday expecting a win, by any means. I think we stand a good chance of pulling it out, and advanced metrics, Vegas line, etc. would seem to bear that out. The only outcome that would surprise me would be a blowout either way.

On offense, we are fairly efficient, though we can be prone to dry spells. As mentioned before, we are not overly dependent on the 3-ball, though we do have a knack for hitting timely ones. Of course, Potts led the NCAA in 3PT FG% last year. He has regressed a bit but can still get hot, and we have several guys off the bench (Habersham, Johnson) that can hit from deep. Our frontcourt is the straw that stirs the drink; Williams and Upshaw are frequently outsized and neither plays a traditional post game, but both guys are athletic and can stretch you out. Williams' preferred offense is the midrange jumper (he rarely drives the ball to the basket), and it is lethal. Upshaw has developed the ability to hit from behind the arc this year- at least enough to keep defenses honest. We don;t do a lot in transition and prefer to grind it out in the halfcourt, and can occasionally struggle to find good shots. Williams is the best of the bunch at creating his own shot. We do have one true post, 6-10 Brandon Walters, that hasn't gotten much attention but has come on this season and given us the ability to throw out a true back-to-the-basket big body for important minutes. I'll be curious to see how many minutes he gets against your frontcourt.

Our defense is a plus factor for us; we typically play a 1-3-1 matchup that transitions into a 2-3 as the possession unfolds. It has given teams fits at times this year, though of course it can be exploited by quick ball distribution and good three-point shooting.

We have a true freshman, Tyrik Dixon, running the point, which is unusual for us; in the last several years we have relied on talented JUCOs in that spot. Dixon didn't have a great conference tourney, but has us excited about his future; he played with poise and generally handled things well this season, and you don't see too many impact freshman at the mid-major level. He was backcourt mates with UK's Malik Monk in HS last season.

Coaching is a plus as well- Kermit Davis is as good as it gets from an X-O standpoint at our level, and has done a great job of keeping our guys focused this year.

When all of our "Big Three" (Williams, Upshaw, Potts) are playing well, we can play with most anyone. That's unlikely to happen against a team like Minnesota, who will undoubtedly disrupt some of what we are trying to do. The key for us will be for someone else (Walters, Habersham, Simpson, Foote) to get something going, and give us double figures. If that happens, I feel good about our chances.

I have read a bit about your team- Mason, McBrayer, and Coffey look like they will be a handful. I've been extremely impressed by the turnaround you all made from last year, and it looks like our teams' approaches aren't that dissimilar. I'm looking forward to reading more from you all. Best of luck this week!

Why is that so irrelevant in your mind?

Does everyone not realize that there are roster carryovers (Potts, Upshaw, et al)?

Because that game was an anomaly. A perfect storm of basketball factors came together and they won. That MSU team would win 98 out of 100 games against MTSU. Not saying MTSU is an easy win at all. But MTSU has lost to some bad teams this year - do those losses not count in the same way that their win over MSU counts? Flukey things happen in basketball, but that doesn't mean they are LIKELY to happen.

I think the gophers win in a close one, because MTSU is good, but we are a better team and built to win games like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a true freshman, Tyrik Dixon, running the point, which is unusual for us; in the last several years we have relied on talented JUCOs in that spot. Dixon didn't have a great conference tourney, but has us excited about his future; he played with poise and generally handled things well this season, and you don't see too many impact freshman at the mid-major level. He was backcourt mates with UK's Malik Monk in HS last season.

If I'm not mistaken, Gophers Freshman forward Eric Curry was on that team as well

I don't know if they would've lost those games specifically, but I wouldn't doubt they would've lost 2-3 games with MTSU's schedule. Basketball is hard, you have bad games while your opponent has a good game, it happens.

MTSU would've done worse than Minnesota with Minnesota's schedule obviously, Minnesota is the better team. I don't think they would've been Rutgers or anything though.

I'm not arguing that MTSU is gonna beat us or anything, just that they are better than you are giving them credit for, and it annoys me when Gopher fans overlook the strength of our opponents. Saying they are bad when they have bad losses is disingenuous when basically every team they've played has a low ranking. Off games happen, they don't define your team. Only 4 losses against any level is impressive.

Despite this I expect the gophers to win, I think we are deeper and that Mason and Coffey will exploit their guards, but I expect it to be a close, hard-fought game between two good teams.

What are the 2-3 games Minnesota would have lost??? Minnesota lost ONE game in the ooc, to a very highly rated FSU team that got a #3 seed.

Minny beat Vandy so who is left? VCU? I wouldn't assume UMn would have lost to VCU, but even if they had, who else? UNC-Wilmington? Maybe? So that is 2 maybes.

Now who? Seriously, go look at MTSU's schedule and tell me who you think Minnesota would have lost to? If you can even come up with 2-4 additional maybes, I'd be impressed.

Greetings, Gophers! I'm looking forward to this matchup, and learning more about your squad. (A little bit of revenge for the NIT loss would be nice, too).

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about our team. As you may have gathered, the general consensus among our fanbase is a feeling of confidence. I don't think it's entirely misplaced; this is a mentally tough, defensive-minded bunch that has had a huge target on its back all season, and generally rises to the occasion. However, I think our folks are underestimating Minnesota, primarily due to a lack of knowledge about your team, as well as the Cinderella hype machine that is operating at full force currently. We aren't used to this kind of attention, and there's naturally a lot of excitement surrounding this season and opportunity for us.

I, for one, have no illusions about an upset being a sure thing. You guys are obviously the best team we will have played all season, and have been through a gauntlet of a schedule relative to us. I anticipate a tight, well-played game, with limited turnovers. I am not heading into Thursday expecting a win, by any means. I think we stand a good chance of pulling it out, and advanced metrics, Vegas line, etc. would seem to bear that out. The only outcome that would surprise me would be a blowout either way.

On offense, we are fairly efficient, though we can be prone to dry spells. As mentioned before, we are not overly dependent on the 3-ball, though we do have a knack for hitting timely ones. Of course, Potts led the NCAA in 3PT FG% last year. He has regressed a bit but can still get hot, and we have several guys off the bench (Habersham, Johnson) that can hit from deep. Our frontcourt is the straw that stirs the drink; Williams and Upshaw are frequently outsized and neither plays a traditional post game, but both guys are athletic and can stretch you out. Williams' preferred offense is the midrange jumper (he rarely drives the ball to the basket), and it is lethal. Upshaw has developed the ability to hit from behind the arc this year- at least enough to keep defenses honest. We don;t do a lot in transition and prefer to grind it out in the halfcourt, and can occasionally struggle to find good shots. Williams is the best of the bunch at creating his own shot. We do have one true post, 6-10 Brandon Walters, that hasn't gotten much attention but has come on this season and given us the ability to throw out a true back-to-the-basket big body for important minutes. I'll be curious to see how many minutes he gets against your frontcourt.

Our defense is a plus factor for us; we typically play a 1-3-1 matchup that transitions into a 2-3 as the possession unfolds. It has given teams fits at times this year, though of course it can be exploited by quick ball distribution and good three-point shooting.

Coaching is a plus as well- Kermit Davis is as good as it gets from an X-O standpoint at our level, and has done a great job of keeping our guys focused this year.

When all of our "Big Three" (Williams, Upshaw, Potts) are playing well, we can play with most anyone. That's unlikely to happen against a team like Minnesota, who will undoubtedly disrupt some of what we are trying to do. The key for us will be for someone else (Walters, Habersham, Simpson, Foote) to get something going, and give us double figures. If that happens, I feel good about our chances.

I have read a bit about your team- Mason, McBrayer, and Coffey look like they will be a handful. I've been extremely impressed by the turnaround you all made from last year, and it looks like our teams' approaches aren't that dissimilar. I'm looking forward to reading more from you all. Best of luck this week!

This is a great post. Thank you for the information, really is great to see collaboration between fans of opposing teams. Something that badger fans could never understand as they think they are gods gift to sports.

By the way, Casey is a good name. I feel like us Caseys always get along and stick together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worried the most about MTSU's 1-3-1 creating like a 12-2 run for them. Can't remember which opponent it was, but at least one of the home conference games we were completely rattled by a similar zone

Worried the most about MTSU's 1-3-1 creating like a 12-2 run for them. Can't remember which opponent it was, but at least one of the home conference games we were completely rattled by a similar zone

Iowa and it was the only time for about 3 plays. We shredded every other zone that teams put in front of us.

Really? That seems like kind of a waste of time and money. If Wisconsin were to play a tournament game at US Bank Stadium, would Gopher fans come out in droves just to cheer for their rival's opponent, particularly if the Gophers were playing a tournament game of their own at another site? Do tournament games draw a lot of neutral, local observers? I could see Butler fans at the game cheering for the upset, but they're a small private school with 10% of the enrollment of the U. I guess I just have a hard time seeing such a large amount of Badger boo birds coming to a game that doesn't feature their team that it would cancel out the number of Gopher fans there.
I don't think too many badger fans will make a point to go to Milwaukee with the specific intent to cheer against the Gophers, but I do think that there are typically plenty of "neutral" fans that make the trip to their nearest regional site just to watch the games and the majority of them tend to root for underdogs. And in this case, with the "neutral" fans most likely to have a badger bias (especially if all the badger fans who bought tickets to the Milwaukee regional early on when they assumed they would get a high seed and be in line to play there show up) I'm sure they'll gladly jump at an opportunity to cheer against the Gophers.

I do think it's good that we are the second game in the session. Hopefully some Butler/Winthrop fans leave after their game, which would eliminate a few more fans that would be most likely to hop on the MTSU bandwagon.

THink it was Iowa. And yea we got rattled but I don't believe (could be wrong) that that press/zone was a heavy tendency for Iowa. With 3-4 days to prepare for it I doubt we fall apart against it. The other thing is that even though we're not a great 3 point team it is VERY hard for teams to zone us because the ball moves well and we have 3-4 guys that can operate out of the high post. That's why we've rarely seen zone over the last 2 months. Also though we're not a great shooting team we do have 3 starters that can knock down open 3s consistently. Add to that that MTSU isn't particularly long and I don't see the press zone being all that effective against us.

We have time to prepare for the press. I do not see the loss of Springs hurting us at all in this specific phase in regards to turning the ball over. His threat and ability to deliver 3's versus the press would be nice but I'm sure we'll have a plan.
I agree with Casey, I'd be very surprised if either team goes down easily. Our ability in winning 10 of our last 12 Big Ten games has been to find a way to win close games. I think we'll be ready!

I'm not sure if this should be more of a worry or a favor to the gophers but MTSU won by 10+ in like 90% of their victories. Some were not even close. The gophers had like 6 OT games in conference play. They had about another handful of games that were within 5 points. If this game is a grinder how do we not have the advantage there? We played in a game right down to the wire in almost every game since mid December.

What are the 2-3 games Minnesota would have lost??? Minnesota lost ONE game in the ooc, to a very highly rated FSU team that got a #3 seed.

Minny beat Vandy so who is left? VCU? I wouldn't assume UMn would have lost to VCU, but even if they had, who else? UNC-Wilmington? Maybe? So that is 2 maybes.

Now who? Seriously, go look at MTSU's schedule and tell me who you think Minnesota would have lost to? If you can even come up with 2-4 additional maybes, I'd be impressed.

ON PAPER, they would've gone undefeated, maybe 1 loss to VCU. But basketball isn't played on paper, you lose to teams you should beat sometimes. Look at Gonzaga, they rarely go undefeated in conference play despite playing in a similarly weak conference. And I would wager that most of Gonzaga's teams are usually better than this year's gophers team.

I'm not going to keep arguing with you because this really isn't relevant to the matchup, but your insistence on defining a team on a small number of bad losses in a 35ish game season is unfair. Put the gophers in Conference USA and they should go undefeated, but I bet they would've dropped a couple they shouldn't.

THink it was Iowa. And yea we got rattled but I don't believe (could be wrong) that that press/zone was a heavy tendency for Iowa. With 3-4 days to prepare for it I doubt we fall apart against it. The other thing is that even though we're not a great 3 point team it is VERY hard for teams to zone us because the ball moves well and we have 3-4 guys that can operate out of the high post. That's why we've rarely seen zone over the last 2 months. Also though we're not a great shooting team we do have 3 starters that can knock down open 3s consistently. Add to that that MTSU isn't particularly long and I don't see the press zone being all that effective against us.

Yep, sounds right. Hopefully it wasn't something heavy in their film before, since we seemed completely unprepared for it and even how to break it. Hopefully that's a big point of emphasis next few days. Putting Curry in the middle if they bring it full court and then outlet to Coffey to Murphy probably our best bet

Iowa changes defenses. We knew it was coming. We are young. We screwed up. We fixed it!!! Somebody tried the same thing a game or two later and we torched it...they immediately took it off. We did beat Iowa. Again, our strength is finding a way to win close games. 10 of 12 Big Ten games. Big Wins on the road. Wins in overtime. We got this. We are prepared!!!

Hi MTCasey.

I can only assume the MT refers to what you say when someone asks you what's inside your skull!

Iowa changes defenses. We knew it was coming. We are young. We screwed up. We fixed it!!! Somebody tried the same thing a game or two later and we torched it...they immediately took it off. We did beat Iowa. Again, our strength is finding a way to win close games. 10 of 12 Big Ten games. Big Wins on the road. Wins in overtime. We got this. We are prepared!!!

Yep, against Penn St. and at Maryland, both teams tried to press in the second half and it was obvious that the Gophers had spent time practicing their press break as in both situations they broke it down effectively and got some nice offensive looks out of it. This was actually one of the smaller things that impressed me the most about Pitino this year - he took an obvious weakness that almost cost the team a game and quickly and effectively corrected it.

Thanks for the analysis. Sounds like you have a tough team, and this should be a grind-it-out game. I like our chances against any team that utilizes the zone primarily, but obviously, anything can happen, especially against a senior-laden team with tourney experience.

Thanks for the analysis. Sounds like you have a tough team, and this should be a grind-it-out game. I like our chances against any team that utilizes the zone primarily, but obviously, anything can happen, especially against a senior-laden team with tourney experience.

How many minutes of tournament experience do they have?
40? Against Michigan State last year?

If only we had played a similar team in some sort of tournament this year...

From what I read on MTSU's message boards and from game recaps I've read, it sounds like there are 3 players that make up the offense for you guys. And, as you said, if those 3 get hot simultaneously it will be hard to stop.

But I definitely think your fans and the media and even Vegas are disillusioned to think the Gophers should not be favored to win. Make no mistake, the Gophers top 3 are better than your MTSU top 3. And the Gophers starting 5 is better than MTSU starting in 5. In a tournament setting, I suspect Pitino (who is objectively a better coach than MTSU's coach) to play our starters 35 minutes on Sunday. If the Gophers survive getting into foul trouble then they win.

I'm only confident about this game because the Gophers are objectively better

If they play a 1-3-1 matchup I would hope Murphy feels he just entered heaven, if he gets the ball down low with any matchup he should score at will.

I've got news for you: Vegas' lines are generally very sharp.

Maybe we win this game by 15 points, but Vegas is Vegas because they project these lines pretty well. I'll defer to them that this game should be close. If you don't believe so, you can easily go get rich on this.

What was the line on the MTSU vs MSU game last year? And what was the line on the MTSU vs Syracuse game last year? My guess is Vegas didn't get either of those games right.

How many minutes of tournament experience do they have?
40? Against Michigan State last year?

If only we had played a similar team in some sort of tournament this year...

2 games is 80 minutes.....just saying

2 games is 80 minutes.....just saying

The last 20 minutes of those 80 gave them experience at getting BEAT DOWN HARD, by a team that barely got into the tourney, btw. I think they got outscored in that last half by over 20 points?

What was the line on the MTSU vs MSU game last year? And what was the line on the MTSU vs Syracuse game last year? My guess is Vegas didn't get either of those games right.

Correct on both accounts, but MTSU was not nearly as good of a team last year (#119 on KenPom). Vegas hits about 50/50 on the lines or they lose money, so I trust they have a decent feeling on this one.

It was MSU -16.5 and Syracuse -6.

Minnesota may be the favorite in terms of seeding but certainly not in the eyes of pollsters.

AP: MTS #26, MN #27
USA: MTS#25, MN 27

Who is the true underdog?

The last 20 minutes of those 80 gave them experience at getting BEAT DOWN HARD, by a team that barely got into the tourney, btw. I think they got outscored in that last half by over 20 points?
They could have just as well have gotten kicked in the nads instead and called that "tournament experience"

Top Bottom