GOPHERS A 5 SEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Pitino and staff pour over last year's tape of the MTSU-Michigan State game, as it sounds like their personnel are largely the same (some friendly conference advice from Izzo would also be welcomed :)). I'd hate to see us get spread out and lose our physical advantage like in the Michigan game we just played.

Would you rather play Virginia Tech or Middle Tennessee State.

That's the question we should all be asking ourselves.

I'd rather be playing Butler in the Round of 32 than Nova, that's for damn sure

We need to play our game and not try to do anything outside of ourselves. Good tourney teams grind out victories by playing solid defense, not turning the ball over and getting offensive rebounds. Those (plus guard play and ability to make 3's) are what differentiate runs into the 2nd weekend from early exits. The gophers have all of those traits minus the 3 point shooting. We just need to play a solid gopher game and we will beat MTSU. Don't get caught up in the hype/excitement, keep the pace reasonable, take care of the ball and hope your opponent doesn't catch fire and we will be playing butler for a berth in the sweet 16 on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just out of curiosity. What is the 5 vs 12 record off match-ups where the 12 seed is the popular upset pick?

First off, fans overlooking an opponent doesn't matter.

Second, MTSU scores the highest % of their points on twos than any team in the tourney.

Third, Gophers were excellent in non-conference against random teams. I expect nothing else.

Beating the hell out of Vandy after we barely beat them doesn't raise concern? I'm not saying MTSU will win. And I am not saying their overall schedule matches ours. I am just saying they are a team we cannot afford to overlook, especially without Springs. They have highly skilled players. I do agree that our size will be a big advantage, and one we must look to in order to win. Nate also needs to return to all Big10 form both PASSING and scoring. His ability to create shots for others is just as important as I do realize he put up 20+ our last game. It's about efficiency with him IMO. He drives our offense, both passing and scoring. I hope he can dominate their guards.
MTSU is very good team that won't be overlooked. I actually think it benefits us that they beat Michigan St last year. Expect a tough, physical game as this is well coached, veteran ball club with tourney experience. Although Conference USA isn't the BIG, it is isn't chop liver and they went 17-1 in league play. With 3 days prep, I expect Pitino to exploit their lack of size and devise a solid game plan to defend Jacorey Williams. Predicting a competitive game, but 7-8 pt Gopher win. Don't underestimate the advantage we have with game being in Milwaukee either.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Considering we could have been a 6 or 7 seed, I think this draw is just fantastic. MTSU and Butler in Milwaukee. Let's go get it.

I called it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity. What is the 5 vs 12 record off match-ups where the 12 seed is the popular upset pick?

Don't know about the popular upset pick part, but I saw on ESPN that 5/12 matchups are about .500 in the last six(?) years.

This game will be about our defense more than our offense.

I dont doubt Reggie and Murph getting major points if they stay out of foul trouble.

Like most teams... MTSU has not seen a player the likes of Reggie Lynch.... He is the shot blocking game changer that must be the difference in the game.

Like most teams... MTSU has not seen a player the likes of Reggie Lynch.... He is the shot blocking game changer that must be the difference in the game.

They are one of the least blocked teams in the nation, so it's strength on strength.

I think the key to this one is playing solid D and getting to the line and converting. They foul quite a bit.

MTSU has THREE BAD losses, including 2 home games. They lost to #222 UTEP in February, and as recently as March 2nd, they beat #338 FIU by a whole THREE points, AT HOME!!! There are only 13 teams rated worse than FIU. They lost to VCU. They have a grand total of 2 Top 50 wins, one of those vs Vandy, the other vs UNC-W, and a total of 4 Top 100 wins.

They have some lopsided wins, sure, but wouldn't we have a bunch of lopsided wins vs their schedule? But they also have some close wins vs some very questionably rated teams. Their road win vs #338 FIU was also by only 3 points. Their win vs #198 UAB was by only 2 pts. Their win over #155 Toledo was by only 3 pts. And their HOME BAD losses to Georgia St and Tennessee St were not close losses, they were an 8 pt loss and an 11 pt loss.

If they didn't get in by virtue of winning their conference tourney, they would not have gotten an at large bid.

The only reason people are picking them to upset Minnesota is because they are lazy and only remember that they upset MSU last year, so figure it is a good uneducated GUESS.

Hopefully lots of Gopher fans go to MKE because tourney fans love cheering for the double digit seeds/upsets, regardless of who the better seeded team is (the fans will cheer against us as hard as they would against the Tar Heels if they were playing MTSU). Go Gophers!!!! Rock Milwaukee!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I believe this is the best, non vacated seed, the Gophers have ever gotten?

I'm sure they've saved the recording of both CBS and ESPN talking heads this evening all picking MTSU in an upset. Former coach Steve Lappas did make a comment that all this MTSU talk should help motivate Minnesota. Let's hope so!

By the way, while I get a kick out of WI fans griping about their seeding (and ours), let's admit if the tables were turned, the same thing would be happening here.

Buckyville at DEFCON 1 (yes, that's the worst).

Ha yes I went on the Bucky BB site just to check it out. They were going ballistic as soon as their seed was announced and then continued to melt down with each big ten team selected. Eventually they lost it when MN got the 5 seed. Loved it!

Ha yes I went on the Bucky BB site just to check it out. They were going ballistic as soon as their seed was announced and then continued to melt down with each big ten team selected. Eventually they lost it when MN got the 5 seed. Loved it!

Hahaha i couldn't help but sneak a peak over there as well. They got royally screwed but still satisfying to see. One unique thing about Wisconsin sports fans is they never cease to think their team is more special than the rest. I think it's some sort of inferiority complex because they live in such an overall crappy state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally could not have asked for anything more. The Gophers got the highest seed anyone thought possible AND the closest region. Not that Wisconsin hasn't had more than their share of good fortune over the years, but they have every right to be pissed right now. They swept the Gophers head to head, finished ahead of them in the regular season and advanced farther in the B1G tournament. End result? Badgers an 8 and the Gophers a 5...I hope we can all call a spade a spade here and admit that our team was the one that a got a break this time.

The ONLY negative I see with the Gophers draw is that it will now feel like a huge disappointment if they don't advance to at least the round of 32.

Couldn't agree more

I'll just drop these tidbits from Saturday here.
49b7d3f584559963d27bb33877f6ae35.jpg
9bc27586ccd9a5c0c22f600f516cb47f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

They will have to bus to Milwaukee per NCAA rules. Since they playing in Milwaukee.

Not sure where you got this from but they are definitely flying.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom