GOPHERS A 5 SEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 seed for Gophers

Sounds like a tough opponent in Middle Tennessee State.

Bring it. Every team is a tough team. We'll be tougher.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So damn proud of this team! Go Gophers! And a great draw too. It's going to be tough, but the opportunity is there to get to the Sweet Sixteen.

Mtsu tough draw, they're trendy upset pick

Strange question, but curious to know if Minnesota will fly to Milwaukee or bus it? Does anyone know if the team flies or busses it when they go to Madison?

Strange question, but curious to know if Minnesota will fly to Milwaukee or bus it? Does anyone know if the team flies or busses it when they go to Madison?

They will have to bus to Milwaukee per NCAA rules. Since they playing in Milwaukee.

My coworker here in Columbus is a MTSU grad and has been talking them up all year. To the point where I've actually watched a game or two of theirs. They can score the ball. They have 3 dudes who can play. I'm a little worried about this match up, especially without Springs' DEFENSE. He was an underrated defender. Personally, I like our second round match-up, but certainly am not looking ahead... I'll end with a let's go gophers! Most excited I've been about the team in my lifetime :)

Good seed. Love the 1st round matchup. hoping for a night game.

The complete seed list.

C6wEITrWYAA4mQE.jpg

Literally could not have asked for anything more. The Gophers got the highest seed anyone thought possible AND the closest region. Not that Wisconsin hasn't had more than their share of good fortune over the years, but they have every right to be pissed right now. They swept the Gophers head to head, finished ahead of them in the regular season and advanced farther in the B1G tournament. End result? Badgers an 8 and the Gophers a 5...I hope we can all call a spade a spade here and admit that our team was the one that a got a break this time.

The ONLY negative I see with the Gophers draw is that it will now feel like a huge disappointment if they don't advance to at least the round of 32.

Love the location and seed. MTSU is a solid team but basically everybody is when you get to the NCAA Tournament.

Buckyville at DEFCON 1 (yes, that's the worst).

I live and Nashville and have watch both Vandy and MSTU all season long. MTSU can score pretty consistently. The local sports media is already calling for the upset on twitter. I am a little nervous but if the gophers pull it out I like the sweet 16 chances a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally could not have asked for anything more. The Gophers got the highest seed anyone thought possible AND the closest region. Not that Wisconsin hasn't had more than their share of good fortune over the years, but they have every right to be pissed right now. They swept the Gophers head to head, finished ahead of them in the regular season and advanced farther in the B1G tournament. End result? Badgers an 8 and the Gophers a 5...I hope we can all call a spade a spade here and admit that our team was the one that a got a break this time.

The ONLY negative I see with the Gophers draw is that it will now feel like a huge disappointment if they don't advance to at least the round of 32.

Wisconsin probably should have been higher, but if you look at both resumes, ours is better. It's the whole body of work that counts and ours is definitely more impressive. Wasn't expecting a 3 seed difference though.

I live and Nashville and have watch both Vandy and MSTU all season long. MTSU can score pretty consistently. The local sports media is already calling for the upset on twitter. I am a little nervous but if the gophers pull it out I like the sweet 16 chances a lot.

how tall are their bigs? i see that they score but on ESPN they are listed at 6'8.. That's an advantage for us if they are small

Our bigs making their free throws might be the key.

how tall are their bigs? i see that they score but on ESPN they are listed at 6'8.. That's an advantage for us if they are small

It looks to me like the will play a little smaller than us- two 6-8 starters and a 6-10 guy who statistically appears to come off the bench. The biggest statistical difference that sticks out to me is we get to the FT line a lot more than they do.

Two 6-8 bigs that get tons of points and minutes. Here are the three leading minute-getters:

Name, Min, PPG, Height
Upshaw, 31.8, 14.5, 6-8
Potts, 30.6, 15.8, 6-2
Williams, 29.6, 17.3, 6-8

Would you rather play Virginia Tech or Middle Tennessee State.

That's the question we should all be asking ourselves.

Is MTSU primarily a behind the arc type team that jacks a lot of 3s? Teams like that (and Michigan) tend to give us problems.

Two 6-8 bigs that get tons of points and minutes. Here are the three leading minute-getters:

Name, Min, PPG, Height
Upshaw, 31.8, 14.5, 6-8
Potts, 30.6, 15.8, 6-2
Williams, 29.6, 17.3, 6-8

That bodes well for us I would think... Sure, these guys might put up points, but they haven't gone up against Big 10 talent like the Gophers have. That will be an advantage for Minnesota for sure

Is MTSU primarily a behind the arc type team that jacks a lot of 3s? Teams like that (and Michigan) tend to give us problems.

That's what I was wondering also. Michigan spread us out and made it very hard for us to defend... and when you're missing your best shooter (Akeem), it was hard catching up. I'm thinking the game will come down to fouls and free throw shooting. Hopefully gopher fans will go make it a home field advantage.

They hit 11 3s when they upset MICH ST last year in the first round.

JaCorey Williams, Reggie Upshaw and Giddy Potts are their key guys. Upshaw and Potts had 40 points in the upset of Michigan State. Williams is a transfer from Arkansas. He was a first team all-Conference USA performer this year, averaging 17.3 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.

MTSU is good, but so are Nevada and UNC-W. Overall it's as good as we could have hoped for, even if MTSU is seeded too low.

The dreaded 12/5 matchup that always seems good for an upset or two in the tournament. Don't know anything about MTSU outside of what is posted here but they went 30-4 with some very lopsided victories so I would expect them to be solid. Hopefully the coaches can figure out a way to cover for the loss of Springs and the guys come out firing on all cylinders.

That bodes well for us I would think... Sure, these guys might put up points, but they haven't gone up against Big 10 talent like the Gophers have. That will be an advantage for Minnesota for sure

Beating the hell out of Vandy after we barely beat them doesn't raise concern? I'm not saying MTSU will win. And I am not saying their overall schedule matches ours. I am just saying they are a team we cannot afford to overlook, especially without Springs. They have highly skilled players. I do agree that our size will be a big advantage, and one we must look to in order to win. Nate also needs to return to all Big10 form both PASSING and scoring. His ability to create shots for others is just as important as I do realize he put up 20+ our last game. It's about efficiency with him IMO. He drives our offense, both passing and scoring. I hope he can dominate their guards.

Top Bottom