STrib: Coach Richard Pitino, AD Mark Coyle will discuss contract after Gophers season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

After watching his basketball coach lead the Gophers to the biggest turnaround in program history, University of Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle said Friday he’ll engage in contract discussions with coach Richard Pitino after the team’s postseason.

Pitino, 34, faced heavy criticism a year ago after an 8-23 season. But he won Big Ten Coach of the Year following a 23-8 regular season this year, with the best conference finish in 20 years at 11-7.

“Richard and I definitely want to talk to each other about what works,” Coyle said at the team hotel Friday before the Gophers’ game against Michigan State. “I didn’t do his current contract. But I want to make sure he feels that what’s in that contract helps him achieve the goals he wants. So we’ll definitely have those conversations. For sure.”

In August 2015, Pitino received a contract extension through the 2020-21 season, which increased his annual salary to more than $1.6 million (his supplemental compensation went from $700,000 to $1.1 million). A new buyout clause was agreed upon as well, and if Pitino would have been fired after the worst season in program history last spring, the U would have been on the hook for $7.1 million. The buyout has since decreased to almost $6.2 million.

This season, between raises (his base salary, $578,812 for this season, increases by 5 percent each year) and bonuses, Pitino will make over $1.8 million, and possibly as much as $2 million if other performance and academic bonuses activate. Pitino already has $125,000 in performance bonuses this season, assuming the Gophers make the NCAA tournament (a $50,000 bonus, on top of $50,000 for a winning Big Ten record and $25,000 for coach of the year).

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...cuss-contract-after-gophers-season/415901414/

Go Gophers!!

Other than his firing TC press conference Coyle usually talks the talk pretty well imo

Congrats to Coach Pitino. He made it.

And now he's one rich young man. Extend and bump him.

New contract for Pitino should be in the $2.5 million range - don't lowball him so he has incentive to bail on us after the final four next year.

Pay him for the production the program expects, its clear the guy knows what he's doing and can recruit well.

New contract for Pitino should be in the $2.5 million range - don't lowball him so he has incentive to bail on us after the final four next year.

Pay him for the production the program expects, its clear the guy knows what he's doing and can recruit well.

Yep, pay him at the level you expect the program to perform at and if he doesn't meet those expectations you send him packing. Looking at this team there is no reason to think this team can't be extremely good next year. After that he has to earn it though recruiting and reloading when guys graduate or move on to the NBA.

Absolutely. If he nails the 2018 and 2019 classes, and I believe he will. We will be disappointed by sweet 16's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank Gad the morons didn't get to fire him after last season.

Rumor has it that the negotiations will be very tense, especially when the discussions circle around the amount of gas that he can leave in his rental car.

Exactly! Love when I can pat myself on the back for having his back and the Morons didn't get there wish. Pay him now!! Keep moving this program forward with recruiting

And guess what he isn't going to ht on every recruit there will be flops but more often than not his recruits will come through.

Let's keep Kaler well away from the negotiations. :mad:

Exactly! Love when I can pat myself on the back for having his back and the Morons didn't get there wish. Pay him now!! Keep moving this program forward with recruiting

And guess what he isn't going to ht on every recruit there will be flops but more often than not his recruits will come through.

I hope he doesn't hit on recruits.

Top Bottom