Gophers Win SIXTH-STRAIGHT Conference Title

Reaction score
Needing a win to clinch a share of the B1G title, the Gophers put on an impressive performance, topping Michigan State 4-0. It was Minnesota’s sixth-straight regular season conference title, a NCAA record. No matter the conference, that is an amazing stretch for the Maroon and Gold. To make things better, Wisconsin lost to Ohio State meaning the Gophers won the title OUTRIGHT.

A New Record

The Gophers' win and Wisconsin loss meant a NCAA record-setting SIXTH regular season conference title in a row and fourth in the B1G. Some opposing fans might trash the competition in the new B1G conference, but the feat is extremely impressive.

“It’s so hard to do; we move to the Big Ten and win it all four years and six times in a row,” said Don Lucia. “It’s great for our program. We always talk about the importance of trying to hang banners to the guys that come here and the legacy that they want to leave. Forever now, this group can come to Mariucci Arena with their kids and look up and say, ‘I was part of that championship.’”

Who Scored?

The Gophers scored four goals on the night but not from who you’d expect. Jack Sadek, Darian Romanko, and Ryan Collins accounted for all four scores, which isn’t what anyone predicted heading into the game.

“We had guys that haven’t scored a lot takes the pressure off some of the guys we do count on night in and night out to score,” said Lucia. “Tonight was one of those nights that they didn’t have to. Other guys came through to get the win tonight.”

It was especially impressive for Sadek who set a personal record with two goals.

“I don’t think I’ve scored twice in a game in my whole life,” said Sadek.

Strong Defense

The Spartans started the game strong with early pressure, but the Gophers were able to recover and stifle MSU. Michigan State managed just 24 shots on net, mostly clear of the scoring areas.

“We just kept them to the outside,” said goalie Eric Schierhorn. “[They had] a couple flurries early on, but other than that, all the shots came from the outside. With only giving up 24 shots tonight, it’s a good recipe for success.”

By The Numbers

6 Straight regular conference titles for the Gophers. That’s a lot of banners.

5 Blocked shots for Jack Sadek who played a strong defensive game along with scoring twice.

4 Minnesota goals from unlikely sources. Coming into the game, Ryan Collins, Jack Sadek, and Darian Romanko had only scored four total goals. The trio tallied all four of Minnesota’s goals Friday.

Three Stars

3 Jack Ramsey had two assists including a dime on Darian Romanko’s goal.

2 Eric Schierhorn posted a 24-save shutout.

1 Jack Sadek scored two goals including the game-winner.

What’s Next

Minnesota is back in action tomorrow at 7pm for Senior Night.

“We’re focusing on now and sending [the seniors] off on a right note,” said Schierhorn. “We want to get another one for them tomorrow night.”

Senior Night is always an awesome experience, but it will be even better as senior Mitch Rogge will take the ice for the first time in an official game.

“We’re going to make sure Mitch Rogge plays tomorrow,” said Lucia. “He’s been such a great program guy. We want to make sure, even though he’s played some exhibition games, he gets to put the uniform on in a real game. I think he’s earned that right. I know the guys are excited to see that because it’s not easy to be a guy that comes in and practices everyday for a few years...so tomorrow he gets his reward, so we’re really happy for him.”

Tomorrow’s game can be seen on BTN or heard on ESPN1500.

Awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to the Don and the boys. I always tell people how we have threads here talking about firing Lucia and then you realize how many banners the guy hangs. I have my frozen four tickets already and I'm looking forward to the rest of the year.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/03/10_minnesota_wraps_up_6th_straight.php

With a 4-0 victory tonight over Michigan State, Minnesota clinched the outright Big Ten regular-season championship once again.

Minnesota has won all four Big Ten titles in the conference's history, and has won six straight conference championships going back to the last two seasons it was in the WCHA. That streak of six is a record all-time in college hockey.

"It says a lot. It's hard to do," Minnesota coach Don Lucia said. "We always talk about the importance of hanging banners. ... It wasn't easy, we didn't think it would be."

Minnesota will be the No. 1 seed in next week's Big Ten tournament in Detroit, and will face the winner of the 4-5 game. The fifth seed is Michigan, the four seed is yet to be determined.

Defenseman Jack Sadek netted a pair of goals in the first period, including the game-winner, to notch his first career multi-goal game for the Gophers. Darian Romanko and Ryan Collins sealed the win with goals in the third period, while Eric Schierhorn recorded 24 saves to earn his fifth shutout of the season and the eighth of his career.

With everything sealed up and Minnesota in a comfortable place in the Pairwise, Lucia said that in Saturday's regular-season finale, Senior Night, that senior Mitch Rogge would be in the lineup. The forward has never appeared in a game for Minnesota. He last played two games when he was a freshman at Sacred Heart.

"He's a real program guy," Lucia said.

Awesome. And not to be a "wet towel".....but a National Championship or two would make this stat "pop".

Top Bottom