Springs Injury

IRON 2!! The Gophers won some big games with the Iron 5, 2 should be easy.

No we aren't

Lol...we are really debating whether Rudrud will see time. He will not see the floor unless we only have 4 available players.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My point was Hurt or Gilbert are not going to rescue us. Somebody of the six scorers we have left needs to step up each game. I do believe that'll happen and we'll compete.

No McBrayer and Mason will need to carry the team at the guard spots and if they need a rest then Gilbert and Sharp need to be ready to play.

I am not sure who can handle the ball. Amir Coffee may need to be the primary ball handler at times, which is not a terrible thing.

No McBrayer and Mason will need to carry the team at the guard spots and if they need a rest then Gilbert and Sharp need to be ready to play.

I am not sure who can handle the ball. Amir Coffee may need to be the primary ball handler at times, which is not a terrible thing.

I'm pretty sure that Coffey played plenty of PG in high school. I am more confident with him bringing the ball up the court than I am with McBrayer.

Yes, I tend to agree with your point, even though I only mentioned Amir Coffey at the end of my post. He may be the player that makes the difference, as he is probably the 2nd best ballhandler on the team after Mason. I really wished that Dupree had stayed after the "incident" last year.

Remember that during our 8 game-win streak, Springs was cold for a couple of games and really didn't see the floor all that much. Team survived without him.

I was hoping this team could make a magical elite 8 run but now I'll just happy if we win the first game in the tournament

If Rudrud can shoot, why not put him in even to spare minutes in the rotation. He'll have to figure out playing defense on the job training quick.

The Gophers are in the NCAAs regardless of the outcome of the B1G tournament.

Giving Rudrup, & Sharp some playing time now can only help the Gophers in the tournament to give these guys experience and hopefully confidence. Hurt will have to outgrow his boyish look quickly. Maybe this is the turning point for him confidence wise. I know he looks awkward at times out there, but I think he'll come around.

If Rudrud can shoot, why not put him in even to spare minutes in the rotation. He'll have to figure out playing defense on the job training quick.

Giving Rudrup, & Sharp some playing time now can only help the Gophers in the tournament to give these guys experience and hopefully confidence. Hurt will have to outgrow his boyish look quickly. Maybe this is the turning point for him confidence wise. I know he looks awkward at times out there, but I think he'll come around.

I'm with this guy.

Realistically, we may only have 2 more games. It's the end of a long season, but I think you shorten the rotation at this point. I expect mason, coffee, and Dupree to get those lost minutes, and tempo to adjust strategically at some points throughout the game. If we had to play another 15 games then maybe we'd start to see Pitino play with their allocated times - but I just don't see it with every game here on our being an elimination game.

I'll be interested to see what Coach does. Fortunately it's march and I don't have to wait long to find out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Pitino puts in the walk-ons at the end of blow-puts, I've been intrigued by Rudrud. He seems more composed and under control than the other guys. Last year during our debacle, Sharp really had some nice games when Coach had to play the equipment manager and ball boy to field a team. He at least has some extended game experience. I hope he plays them a bit. Of course, Coach sees these guys every day in practice and knows best what they can do. What do I know? (Not much). However, if we won the BIG tourney playing walk-ons after our starting guard went down with an injury, it would be a cool story, wouldn't it?

When Pitino puts in the walk-ons at the end of blow-puts, I've been intrigued by Rudrud. He seems more composed and under control than the other guys. Last year during our debacle, Sharp really had some nice games when Coach had to play the equipment manager and ball boy to field a team. He at least has some extended game experience. I hope he plays them a bit. Of course, Coach sees these guys every day in practice and knows best what they can do. What do I know? (Not much). However, if we won the BIG tourney playing walk-ons after our starting guard went down with an injury, it would be a cool story, wouldn't it?

I agree. Rudrud passes the eye test on offense. Question is whether he can defend.

Never underestimate what these types of players can give you. Wisconsin doesn't make the 2000 Final Four without Jon Bryant.

You have to replace approximately 30 minutes. You give 10 to McBrayer and 10 to Curry. The rest have to come from Hurt/Gilbert /Sharp

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I agree. Rudrud passes the eye test on offense. Question is whether he can defend.

Never underestimate what these types of players can give you. Wisconsin doesn't make the 2000 Final Four without Jon Bryant.
Passed the eye test against what competition? Grasping for straws here. Stick to a tight rotation. Depth is overrated this time of year. Gilbert and Hurt may see extended minutes but that should be it. Only in extreme circumstances should we go that deep.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are kidding right, there's a reason Rudrup hasn't seen any playing time, Hurt is going to have to get aggressive and start looking for his shot, they are going to have to play some with Hurt and Coffey on the court at the same time. He's more than capable. Hopefully he won't be a defensive liability.

You are kidding right, there's a reason Rudrup hasn't seen any playing time, Hurt is going to have to get aggressive and start looking for his shot, they are going to have to play some with Hurt and Coffey on the court at the same time. He's more than capable. Hopefully he won't be a defensive liability.

You're kidding, right? There was a reason Zach Puchtel hadn't seen any playing time before he was forced into action...or was there? He ended up being a huge contributor down the stretch that year, including a conference player of the week award.

On a slight tangent, Springs is likely facing surgery and extended rehab. As a senior at the end of his collegiate career, who is responsible for the expenses associated with his care?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a slight tangent, Springs is likely facing surgery and extended rehab. As a senior at the end of his collegiate career, who is responsible for the expenses associated with his care?

That's a great question.

Whatever plan he is on now would likely cover it. If not, it's another arrow in the quiver of the oppressed athlete narrative. I'm not a pay the athlete guy but making sure they decent insurance seems like a no brained that all should be able agree on.

Feel bad for Akeem. He was a true leader of this team this year. He will continue to be a leader, just won't get to do it on the court.
In his absence, Coffey and McBrayer will need to up their game even more. Which is very likely as McBrayer has really come on as of late and Coffey has been more aggressive on the offensive end than he was earlier in the year. Can see those two taking most of Springs minutes and then Hurt, Gilbert and Sharpe getting a few more depending on the match ups.

Sharpe is a driver not a shooter. Springs added the ability to shoot. Hurt has that potential. A kid on the roster that looks like he really can shoot it is Rudrud. But I think Pitino is going to encourage Hurt to step up and play with confidence. Hurt plays defense. He just needs to get some confidence on offense.

Agreed. The best thing he brings is he plays within himself. The Gophers need to only take good shots, not the side fadeaways that Mason was throwing up there yesterday. Springs took a lot of bad shots and I actually think we will be fine without him. A few guys will step up. Curry will play more minutes.

Boynton

....Stick to a tight rotation. Depth is overrated this time of year....

I'll agree with you when we get past this week-end, but not now. The problem is we are now trying to play 3 games in a 52 hour window. All that changes in the NCAA Tourney when there are only 2 games each week-end.

I would try to get at least 10 minutes out of Gilbert/Hurt at the 3 in the first half and depending how that works out and how the foul situation looks I might try to go big with Curry at the 3 in the second half for as many as 15 minutes. That would take care of Springs 25 minutes and still leave Curry up to 15 minutes to to fill in at the 4/5 positions. Defense at the 3 will be the biggest issue today and tomorrow, in my mind.

On Rudrud/Sharp who can forget that Dusty Reichert nearly ended the Gonzaga era before it began

On Rudrud/Sharp who can forget that Dusty Reichert nearly ended the Gonzaga era before it began

+1000. Good point. That's still one of my favorite Gopher games even though we lost.

I'd say Pitino should fill Springs minutes with who ever plays the best perimeter defense

Coffee and dupree more at the two and hurt more minutes at the three. You don't put in guys that haven't played all year- get hurt some confidence and he may surprise.

If I am Pitino I give Hurt 20 minutes today. He does defend, he's just tentative on offense. This is an important game but having Hurt ready to go for the NCAAs is even more important. I say he spells Pree for 14 minutes (7 while Pree is playing back up point and 7 while he is resting) and Coffey 6 minutes or so. Who knows, maybe Gilbert gets some run today as well.

First, I think Mason and Pree play as much as they can, unless they need a breather or get in foul trouble. If they have to come out, I'd bring in Sharp. He played pretty respectable last year.

Top Bottom