Springs Injury

It'll be very interesting to see what Pitino does with the shortened lineup. Thats 28 minutes that Springs played. He cannot give many more minutes to Mason, he averages 35 or so. McBrayer can probably add 5-8 minutes easily as he was playing 30+ in the beginning of the season. That leaves at a minimum 20 minutes to spread out amongst the rest of the team. I'd be curious if he gives some guard minutes to Coffey and tries a couple different "bigger" lineups by having Murphy Curry and Konate/Lynch on the court at the same time.

Offensively, while Springs was a threat, he wasn't producing the last couple of games. He was a very reliable defender however and rarely got beaten. We'll see what Pitino cooks up. It's a game we cannot get into foul trouble down low as that's a lot of lineup issues to ask a coach to manage.

Please no. I'll be extremely disappointed if Pitino tries that.

More Konate might work against some teams, would be a really bad idea against Michigan.

Curry has been unbelievably poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great quote by announcer after Mason tied the game. "Usually, people serve coffee. This time, Coffee serves Mason."

Curious as to why you would be disappointed had he tried that?

I just personally don't think either Curry or Murphy could play the 3. Both of them are far more effective around the rim and there isn't enough room for 3 guys down there, and I think they would be a liability trying to play away from the basket. I just think our offense would really suffer, and maybe our defense too.

Remember that during our 8 game-win streak, Springs was cold for a couple of games and really didn't see the floor all that much. Team survived without him.

I was hoping this team could make a magical elite 8 run but now I'll just happy if we win the first game in the tournament
+1

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I just personally don't think either Curry or Murphy could play the 3. Both of them are far more effective around the rim and there isn't enough room for 3 guys down there, and I think they would be a liability trying to play away from the basket. I just think our offense would really suffer, and maybe our defense too.

Agreed, it should never be "the plan", given our current siutation I could and will argue the exact same point with Hurt/Gilbert in there, except they have no upside inside. Worst case scernerio to get Mason and McBrayer a breather at a point go Murphy, Konate, Curry across the bottom of a 2-3 and put a combination of Coffey Mason and McBrayer on the top, maybe a total of 10 minutes that way giving Mason and McBrayer a total of 5 minutes breather each.

Find a set or two to run on the offensive end that drains clock. High ball screen, or a swing rotation with a low post to post screen that gets a one on one for Murphy into a quick move.

We're not talking about executing at a high level for these 5 minutes, this is game management 101, how do you get your only two scholarship guards a breather, sometimes you gotta be creative.

Agreed, it should never be "the plan", given our current siutation I could and will argue the exact same point with Hurt/Gilbert in there, except they have no upside inside. Worst case scernerio to get Mason and McBrayer a breather at a point go Murphy, Konate, Curry across the bottom of a 2-3 and put a combination of Coffey Mason and McBrayer on the top, maybe a total of 10 minutes that way giving Mason and McBrayer a total of 5 minutes breather each.

Find a set or two to run on the offensive end that drains clock. High ball screen, or a swing rotation with a low post to post screen that gets a one on one for Murphy into a quick move.

We're not talking about executing at a high level for these 5 minutes, this is game management 101, how do you get your only two scholarship guards a breather, sometimes you gotta be creative.

Maybe that would work, but the idea of either of those two playing the 3 still makes me cringe. I know you don't think it's ideal either, so not attacking you at all. Might just be me, but I'd prefer to have Hurt/Gilbert playing from the perimeter for 10ish minutes than Curry or Murphy. While Hurt hasn't proven it yet to those who didn't see him play in high school, I know he's capable of knocking down open shots. He's also a pretty good passer and I trust him with the ball in his hands 30 feet from the hoop more than those guys. I'd also prefer Sharpe playing a few minutes than those guys playing the 3.

I think Milwaukee made the tourney last year. Springs is our only player who had played in the tourney.

They didnt make it last year. Springs was on the team when they made it in 2014, but he wasn't playing that season due to the transfer rule.

More Konate might work against some teams, would be a really bad idea against Michigan.

Exactly. It as a worst case matchup considering we just lost Springs and had less than 24 hours to adjust. We need more wings against michigan. We will be fine against teams that play inside more.. and will suffer a bit against teams that rely on the 3 ball. As has been posted, if we can find someone (Hurt) to play some perimeter defense for 5 minutes a half, that will solve a lot of problems.

Pitino showed his lack of confidence in in Hurt or Gilbert today. I really expected to see more minutes from someone. They have struggled lately in games. They must not look good in practice, either.

Top Bottom