Q&A: Lakeville North Sophomore Tyler Wahl Attends Gophers Game, Talks Recruiting

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Lakeville North Sophomore Tyler Wahl Attends Gophers Game, Talks Recruiting
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/768119?referrer_id=331171

Tyler Wahl, a 6-foot-6 sophomore forward from Lakeville (MN) North, is considered the number five prospect in the Class of 2019.

Wahl is averaging 9.3 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game as he has helped Lakeville North to a 23-2 start. He scored in double figures in 11 of 25 games, including a season-high 20 points versus Benilde St. Margaret's.

Gopher Hole caught up with Wahl recently to learn the latest on his sophomore season and his early college recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You guys are off to a great start. How pleased are you with how well you are playing so far this year?

Tyler Wahl: I am very pleased. We are playing really good team ball and really good defense lately, so that is good.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play?

Tyler Wahl: I feel like I am in a solid spot, playing well with my role on the team.

Gopher Hole: You are starting as a sophomore. You look at Lakeville North has had some good players like Nathan Revuers (who signed with Wisconsin) and J.P. Macura (who is a junior at Xavier), but neither started as a sophomore. That has to make you feel pretty proud?

Tyler Wahl: I fit well in this program, I think. Just doing my role, like I said earlier.

Gopher Hole: You attend the Gopher-Wisconsin game earlier this year as a Minnesota guest. What was that experience like?

Tyler Wahl: It was a good atmosphere. It was really fun. Just both always loud with the Badgers and the Gophers fans.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is so early being only a sophomore, but what colleges are you starting to hear from now?

Tyler Wahl: I've talked to Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northern Iowa and South Dakota. Those are the main ones.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to any other games besides that Gopher-Wisconsin game?

Tyler Wahl: I went to the UNI game against Drake.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is so early, but what are the Gophers saying to you?

Tyler Wahl: Nothing really yet. Just went to that game and had some small talk.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Tyler Wahl: Just my outside jump shot and always working on ball handling, because sometimes I am running the point.

Gopher Hole: You don't want to look too far ahead, but next year, you are losing Nathan Reuvers and some other key seniors and you are going to be expected to be more of a scorer nad leader. Is that something you are ready to do?

Tyler Wahl: Yes, but I am just focused on this year and next year, we'll see what happens. .

Gopher Hole: Lakeville North has made it to the state tournament five years in a row. What do you need to do to get back to another state tournament?

Tyler Wahl: Just keep playing well. Playing team ball. Moving the ball around. That is all we need.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to have the opportunity to play Division I basketball?

Tyler Wahl: It would be a real honor because my dad (Tim Wahl) played at Minnesota State, when they were NAIA Division I (where he was a 4-year letter winner, was a member of the NIC Conference champs in 1979 and was the team's leading scorer in the 79-80 and 80-81. He led the conference in scoring his senior year and still ranks seventh all-time in scoring for Mankato. He was both team MVP and Captain his senior year and was named NIC All-Conference twice and was named NAIA District 13 First Team All-American) and he played overseas, so that was fun. It is a big part of my family.

Gopher Hole: Is that where you got your love of the game from him?

Tyler Wahl: Yes and from my sister, too. She has always played basketball. She played at LaCrosse. It has always been in our family.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have the opportunity to play for the homestate school?

Tyler Wahl: It would be fun, just anywhere that would take me, I guess.

Gopher Hole: You played for D1 Minnesota last year. Is that who you are going to play for this year?

Tyler Wahl: Yes.

Gopher Hole: You obviously have a good nucleus with younger players like Tyrell Terry (a guard from DeLaSalle). What are the expectations for you guys this spring and summer?

Tyler Wahl: We'll be good. We have got a lot of guys coming back and a couple of new guys, so we'll be good.

Top Bottom