Connor Mayes announces that he will leave the Gophers on Twitter

Hageman playing TE was a total misanalysis of a guy's skill. He was no TE and wouldn't get a whiff of the NFL had he stayed at TE. Pretty good example of how bad Brewster was.

It was part of what lured him in as a recruit. We would give him a shot at TE and Ohio State and Florida would not.

Brewster lived up to his word, gave him a shot and then talked him into his best position (DT).

I actually think it's one of the few examples of Brewster playing it 100% right.

TCU. Not SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCU only had 6* wins last year

Earlier GWG said: If only the Gophers and all those teams were exactly the same as last year...

Of course he also said: "Yeah and this years schedule will likely be harder than last years, and who knows what injuries could take place"..

So "things change" then and we don't know what their talent or season will look like this season right?

To be honest, I get why he'd go to TCU (family ties, close to home, program prestige) but I really don't see the fit for Mayes. He's not really like the OL they roll with for their offense.

Earlier GWG said: If only the Gophers and all those teams were exactly the same as last year...

Of course he also said: "Yeah and this years schedule will likely be harder than last years, and who knows what injuries could take place"..

So "things change" then and we don't know what their talent or season will look like this season right?

I was also joking with the TCU post.

Mayes will also have to sit out this season and who knows why he left. People want to assume Fleck pushed him out but I'm not sure why he'd push out a player with experience at a thin position.

I was also joking with the TCU post.

Mayes will also have to sit out this season and who knows why he left. People want to assume Fleck pushed him out but I'm not sure why he'd push out a player with experience at a thin position.

CM said he left because none of the reasons he went to MN were here anymore. Coaches, Brother, etc. Very very doubtful that PJF pushed him out.

CM said he left because none of the reasons he went to MN were here anymore. Coaches, Brother, etc. Very very doubtful that PJF pushed him out.

I will also reiterate my earlier statement that he very likely would not be transferring if we had properly redshirted him, as I doubt he would have left here to play for SDSU or another FCS school.

I will also reiterate my earlier statement that he very likely would not be transferring if we had properly redshirted him, as I doubt he would have left here to play for SDSU or another FCS school.

Nice job speculating even though that's not what he said.

No one wanted Mayes to transfer. Everyone agrees we would be better off with him on the team. Take a deep breath...

Nice job speculating even though that's not what he said.

No one wanted Mayes to transfer. Everyone agrees we would be better off with him on the team. Take a deep breath...

Well, not everyone. IIRC Swingman was ecstatic about the great news. As far as speculation you seemed very convinced he was going to SDSU based on ? and convinced "he saw the writing on the wall" . Turns out he's going to a different power 5 team based on unknown reasons; maybe personal, maybe Fleck, maybe culture clash with metro MN.. Kid had some talent. We'll see if he's able to secure a starting role down there in the future. Big loss.

CM said he left because none of the reasons he went to MN were here anymore. Coaches, Brother, etc.

Guess he didn't forge those unbreakable bonds with teammates like many do playing on a team for a three years.

Sounds like his heart was never really in it. He wanted to stick with his big brother.

“Every reason I came to Minnesota is not really here anymore,” he said. “This would be my second coach change and third staff change and with Alex not playing anymore I really couldn’t see a reason to stay here. I just really wanted to come closer to home.”

TCU was among the programs Mayes reached out to once he received his release. Others including Oklahoma, Texas A&M, West Virginia and Tulane also showed mutual interest.

In the end, Mayes could see himself playing at just one program; TCU. He will now have a chance to carry on his family’s legacy as a Horned Frog.

“I’m pumped; honestly what it came down to me coming to Minnesota was to play with Alex and I think if he wouldn’t have gone to Minnesota I probably would’ve gone to TCU. It’s awesome that I get to carry on that legacy and be the third person to play at TCU. I think it’s great to be able to finish out my last two years there.”

Mayes isn’t the only one pumped; he’s received a ton of messages from family and friends about him having a chance to finish his career wearing the Frogs’ purple.

“I keep getting messages every single day; it’s like they don’t leave me alone,” Mayes said.

With the Frogs losing key lineman at the conclusion of the 2017 season, Mayes’ experience will be a big boost to the offensive line. He played in 34 career games for the Gophers, starting 15 which easily could’ve been 18 with the amount of plays he participated in during reserve duty.

His experience according to Mayes was a big reason the TCU coaches wanted him as part of their program.

“They said that was a big reason they liked me and wanted me to come home,” he said. “Even this next year when I’m sitting out I think my experience will help me keep guys juiced up on the sidelines and be a good vocal leader.”

Growing up Mayes attended countless TCU games cheering on the Frogs. He dreamed of one day playing for the Frogs inside Amon G. Carter stadium. Although he played as a true freshman for Minnesota when they visited ACS gave him a little experience, the thought of being on TCU’s sideline in a Frogs’ uniform is something that leaves him speechless.

His dream is coming true.

http://tcu.247sports.com/Article/Connor-Mayes-discusses-his-transfer-to-TCU-52022523

Not surprised. Lots of TCU fans were pissed when he committed here. They were questioning Patterson and why he couldn't sign a legacy recruit. Of course that was before they nearly won the national title. Best of luck to Mayes...

I wish him the best of luck. It is obvious he wants to be close to home.

Family and friends have a strong thug at the heart. He was probably homesick after big brother Alex graduated. The timing is right if he want to make a move on to the next chapter.

It makes sense for PJF to give priority to recruiting the best in state talent, and then to a 600 to 800-mile radius. Kids elsewhere who have ties to Minnesota.

We seem to have luck with recruiting in Georgia. We have eight Georgians on the current roster, and we have Terell Smith and Abi Okonji who are commits from the same GA HS (South Gwinnet).

Well, not everyone. IIRC Swingman was ecstatic about the great news. As far as speculation you seemed very convinced he was going to SDSU based on ? and convinced "he saw the writing on the wall" . Turns out he's going to a different power 5 team based on unknown reasons; maybe personal, maybe Fleck, maybe culture clash with metro MN.. Kid had some talent. We'll see if he's able to secure a starting role down there in the future. Big loss.

Mayes wasn't going to be starting at guard, just like he didn't last year when Calhoun, Wright, and Weyler were healthy. Based on practice reports it was likely that he was also passed by either Dovich or Olson. The new staff had him at center for the 1st few spring practices.

<b>Mayes wasn't going to be starting at guard</b>, just like he didn't last year when Calhoun, Wright, and Weyler were healthy. Based on practice reports it was likely that he was also passed by either Dovich or Olson. The new staff had him at center for the 1st few spring practices.

Well, this settles that debate.

Mayes wasn't going to be starting at guard, just like he didn't last year when Calhoun, Wright, and Weyler were healthy. Based on practice reports it was likely that he was also passed by either Dovich or Olson. The new staff had him at center for the 1st few spring practices.

So, those guys in the two deep some people here are panicking about? I've gathered from some our two deep is garbage and talentless yet Mayes was a backup. Man, we're in trouble. Maybe in 2-3 years when Fleck gets his guys in here and the last vestiges of the Kill/Claeys guys are swept away we can field a competitive team. (S/)

Well, this settles that debate.

It's doubtful he would have leap-frogged the 3 guys that played in front of him last year.

Let's put it this way - if we rank the 3 transfers with 1 hurting the most and 3 the least, this is the order:

1. Tyler Moore - 2 year starter as an underclassmen; all-B1G potential, no back-ups on the roster. A lock to be the starting center.
2. Gaelin Elmore - Significant playing time the last 2 years, a likely starter at DE and would certainly have seen significant time.
3. Mayes

So, those guys in the two deep some people here are panicking about? I've gathered from some our two deep is garbage and talentless yet Mayes was a backup. Man, we're in trouble. Maybe in 2-3 years when Fleck gets his guys in here and the last vestiges of the Kill/Claeys guys are swept away we can field a competitive team. (S/)

We're deep at guard. Tackle is so-so. Center is a complete unknown.

How do you know he wasn't nicked up? You think TCU, a school awash in talented players is going to lock up a scholarship to a guy that can't play?

Just stop.

It's doubtful he would have leap-frogged the 3 guys that played in front of him last year.

Let's put it this way - if we rank the 3 transfers with 1 hurting the most and 3 the least, this is the order:

1. Tyler Moore - 2 year starter as an underclassmen; all-B1G potential, no back-ups on the roster. A lock to be the starting center.
2. Gaelin Elmore - Significant playing time the last 2 years, a likely starter at DE and would certainly have seen significant time.
3. Mayes

I might flip Tyler Moore and Gaelin Elmore. I have a weird feeling Elmore is going to be playing on Sundays. He looked really good when he was playing last year.

How do you know he wasn't nicked up? You think TCU, a school awash in talented players is going to lock up a scholarship to a guy that can't play?

Just stop.

TCU will also have 6 SR OL next year, 4 of them started as JRs this year. They lose a lot and will need some depth. Who knows if Mayes will be a starter or a backup there.

TCU will also have 6 SR OL next year, 4 of them started as JRs this year. They lose a lot and will need some depth. Who knows if Mayes will be a starter or a backup there.

I guess we'll find out. This tangent is bordering on absurd.

3. Mayes

I agree with your ranking but couldn't help notice that you went from CM "wouldn't" be starting to CM was "doubtful" to start in the course of one post. If we sleep on it he might become an All-American.

Top Bottom