Connor Mayes announces that he will leave the Gophers on Twitter

GopherLady

Reaction score
Wish him the very best:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Very classy goodbye. Wish him the best.

He was in and out of the lineup in the second half of last season. I wonder if this would've happened anyway with the old staff, or if Mayes already sees that his playing time will be diminished even more under Fleck.

Two sessions into spring practice seems like odd timing.

OL depth taking another hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had penciled him in as starter at G or C this year. This one might sting unless some of our RS SO and RS FR are ready to roll.

Based on recent follows looks like he's headed to SDSU. Really odd but best of luck.

I was hoping Connor could have a great senior season, sorry to see him leave. It seems like only yesterday DPO was gnashing his teeth over the fact that we "burned his redshirt." I guess that was a whole lot of heartburn for nothing...

Thats a big blow.

Moore, Mayes, Terry and Steiber won't be on the fall roster anymore.

Very unfortunate.

I was hoping Connor could have a great senior season, sorry to see him leave. It seems like only yesterday DPO was gnashing his teeth over the fact that we "burned his redshirt." I guess that was a whole lot of heartburn for nothing...

If we hadn't burned his redshirt, he probably wouldn't be transferring right now as he likely wouldn't want to throw away a year of eligibility. Thanks for reminding everyone of my awesome foresight!

There is no way Fleck lets this guy walk away if he though he was going to be a big contributor next season. Fleck probably wants to get the younger guys more playing time. Could scheme change have anything to do with this?

If we hadn't burned his redshirt, he probably wouldn't be transferring right now as he likely wouldn't want to throw away a year of eligibility. Thanks for reminding everyone of my awesome foresight!

Am I dense, I don't get what you mean?

There is no way Fleck lets this guy walk away if he though he was going to be a big contributor next season. Fleck probably wants to get the younger guys more playing time. Could scheme change have anything to do with this?

There's no doubt he would have played a lot if looking solely at experience / ability. The OL just took a huge hit. I figured he would have pushed Calhoun to play better if nothing else.

I hate to see any OL go at this point.

Still wish him the best.

Terry? Why is it very unfortunate to not have a guy that Fleck didn't want?

Because he likely would have been in the rotation and played. Now given the Moore and Mayes news, he likely would have started IMO if Fleck had kept him.

Am I dense, I don't get what you mean?

I think I'm dense, too. Is there some inside GH story that the rest of us aren't getting?

You have 5 years to play 4. When transferring you have to sit a year. If you haven't red-shirted yet then you can essentially "red-shirt" the year you have to sit out.
CM will be able to transfer and still have played on the field 4 years (over that 5 year period). If CM had already red-shirted he would have to use up a year of eligibility on the transfer year (and would then only play in the field for 3 years over that 5 year period).

Any word on Eric Abojei? We sure need a few bodies on the OL.

Wyatt Blake shows a scheduled commitment announcement on the 17th and still a visit to the U on the 21st? Anyone that follows this more closely than I do, any chance the crystal balls are wrong?

If he's transferring to the FCS, he doesn't have to sit out anyways.

You have 5 years to play 4. When transferring you have to sit a year. If you haven't red-shirted yet then you can essentially "red-shirt" the year you have to sit out.
CM will be able to transfer and still have played on the field 4 years (over that 5 year period). If CM had already red-shirted he would have to use up a year of eligibility on the transfer year (and would then only play in the field for 3 years over that 5 year period).

Wait, you can't use your redshirt during your transfer?

I remember when we were recruiting Connor. His devotion and excitement to be a Gopher was so enjoyable. Best of luck to you, Connor! Your Gopher family thanks you.

Wait, you can't use your redshirt during your transfer?

Yes you can. But if he already red-shirted he would have to use a playing year.

I'm not buying DPOs argument, just explaining what he meant to those that asked. GWG is also 100% right that if he transfers to a lower level the point is moot as he doesn't need to sit a year.

Top Bottom