Pioneer Press: Gannon, who is working with Leidner, very critical of former U staff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dane:

There’s no question that former Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner looks the part. His 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame speaks for itself.

Leidner, however, has never been considered an elite prospect in the upcoming NFL Draft because of the litany of questions surrounding his actual talent.

But he has been working tirelessly to prove those doubters wrong, and about a month ago, turned to former NFL MVP quarterback Rich Gannon for help.

Gannon had never seen Leidner play in person and was a little unsure what exactly he could provide in terms of guidance.

“He reached out to me and asked if I would come and spend some time with him,” Gannon said. “I watched him throw a little bit and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought he had good arm talent.”

“I’ve learned a ton from him so far,” Leidner said. “He is a really big stickler on accuracy and getting my completion percentage up. We’ve watched tons of film together and talked about how I can improve those things.”

In fact, Gannon had Leidner study film of every interception he threw and every sack he took in his three and a half years as the Gophers’ starting quarterback.

“I talked to him about certain things and I started to feel like he wasn’t always placed in the best situation to succeed,” Gannon said. “There was a lot of change there, and I’m not so sure the coaching was up to par because I think he should’ve been a better player than he was at that level. … I think if he has a chance to get with a good team, a good coaching staff, a good position coach, that could really benefit him.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/1...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1489170147

Go Gophers!!

“I talked to him about certain things and I started to feel like he wasn’t always placed in the best situation to succeed,” Gannon said. “There was a lot of change there, and I’m not so sure the coaching was up to par because I think he should’ve been a better player than he was at that level. … I think if he has a chance to get with a good team, a good coaching staff, a good position coach, that could really benefit him.”

Yikes. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of previous staff...

ML7 is paying Gannon. Gannon is selling his client's upside. He may be right, but I'm not reading anything into that as the motive is transparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Not that I am sticking up for Leidner, but I often times wonder how a player can look worse the longer they play. I thought he looked more the part earlier in his career compared to later in his career.

ML7 is paying Gannon. Gannon is selling his client's upside. He may be right, but I'm not reading anything into that as the motive is transparent.

Yes but there's a ring of truth to what Gannon is saying.

Similar to when Brad Childress said that about Tavaris Jackson.

The only QB coach Leidner ever had who helped him was Weber. Z was a disaster.

Here the Claeysters and Killsters out to defend his honor and ****ty passing offense the last six years. Am I doing that right?

Here the Claeysters and Killsters out to defend his honor and ****ty passing offense the last six years. Am I doing that right?

I certainly wasn't defending the offense. Somewhat defending Leidner for having a horrible receiving corps and probably not the greatest QB coaching.

Are those the guys who keep saying how rough it will be to replace a QB as good as Mitch? :confused:

I'm not saying this is the case but of course Mitch and his consultant will be pleading ignorance of the throwing arts; they want someone to draft him as a project. Can he be molded? Who know? Seems like his problems are more upstairs than downstairs IMO but maybe fixable. Good luck to him.

The poor passing game during the Kill/Claeys era pretty much speaks for itself. I assume part of it is due to the design of the offense, part coaching and part due to talent around the QB. I'm sure Leidner could've looked better with a different staff.

Having said that, a big, strong guy like Leidner can absolutely look great in drills with no pass and no coverage and look terrible when the action is live. Much of being a great quarterback is recognizing where to throw before receivers are open, then hitting them. Leidner almost always seemed to find the open receiver too late.

...aaannddd suddenly the departure of the previous regime has less sting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I never thought much of any of the position coaches on the offensive side of things under the Kill regime. Limegrover might turn out to be a good O-line coach at Penn State, but I think his doing double duty made him subpar at both jobs. Didn't think Anderson and Poore showed they could coach guys up as advertised. Guys switched jobs and the RBs were still good and the WRs still bad. Claeys dumped Zebrowski at the first opportunity, so that must say something (of course, he did the same with Limegrover, so maybe it doesn't). Curious to see how Miller would have done had he stayed.

But at the heart of it, the Kill/Limegrover offense--especially the passing offense--was about as imaginative as my mom's rice pudding. Take it from me, not very imaginative.

Any competent football fan would know Gannon is right. I mean come on, throwing in Chris Streveler and making him run like 2939484 times... he had no chance on passing because they never put him in any good situations, and only allowed him to pass when he had to (obvious passing situations like 3rd and long). The old coaching staff is the only staff I've seen where we're afraid to play 2nd, 3rd, 4th string QB's. They'd rather play their running back at QB than an actual back up QB. Why do you think Nelson ran with the quickness? The writing was on the wall, the old coaching staff had no knowledge of QBs and how to make things easier for them.

Passing game was consistently anemic.

With that said, Leidner threw some awful balls - passes that made you wonder "What the heck were you thinking?"

After a while, it becomes difficult to write all those off to "receiver ran the wrong route" or things like that - - - at some point, "QB screwed up" becomes a "viable" explanation.

I wish Mitch well ... but must confess, I will be surprised if he makes a roster, and shocked if he becomes someone who plays regularly.

And I hope he proves me wrong.

The only QB coach Leidner ever had who helped him was Weber. Z was a disaster.

In what ways? I am genuinely curious. To me, it didn't matter what name was attached to his position coach.....the results were equally as disappointing. Again, just my opinion.

I see...so you don't think at all that the comments were a well timed effort to bolster Mitch's stock?

I see...so you don't think at all that the comments were a well timed effort to bolster Mitch's stock?

Bolster his stock by comments made by Rich Gannon?
NFL Teams' Regional, Midwest Scouting Directors all subscribe to Pioneer Press and make note of Gannon's comments next to the pages of notes they've kept on him since his Sophomore year?
Ummm......NO!

NFL Teams' Regional, Midwest Scouting Directors all subscribe to Pioneer Press and make note of Gannon's comments next to the pages of notes they've kept on him since his Sophomore year?
Ummm......NO!

You don't think ML7's agent will bring it up to teams inquiring about Mitch?

As if he needed Richard Gannon to testify for him and not film from the past 4 years.

Ummm......NO!

Yeah, because Gannon has zero NFL connections...

His agent may, yes. Will an article with quotes by Rich Gannon bolster his stock? No. I guess I should back peddle a bit.....I only know 2 Scouts (both Directors) and based on my conversations with them, this would be irrelevant in their assessments. Perhaps the other 30 may be open to hearing that.

Top Bottom