Pioneer Press: Gannon, who is working with Leidner, very critical of former U staff

His agent may, yes. Will an article with quotes by Rich Gannon bolster his stock? No. I guess I should back peddle a bit.....I only know 2 Scouts (both Directors) and based on my conversations with them, this would be irrelevant in their assessments. Perhaps the other 30 may be open to hearing that.

I think the question was why would Gannon make this opinion public. I was defending that it was to try and bolster ML7's stock. Not that all teams would jump him up the board because of it.

Gannon played in the NFL for 17-years. JB may poopoo that, but I'm guessing a team thinking of drafting ML7 may speak to a 17-year NFL vet who has been training him to get input. I was the first to say that info is biased as ML7 is his client - and I'm sure the scouts will know that too. Doesn't mean they won't ask and doesn't mean that isn't why Rich is putting that point out. The other option is he just decided to rip on the old coaching staff for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are just as many Gopher fans that share Gannons opinion that

Based on his athleticism that Leidner should have been a better player and developed more as a Quarterback than he did for the Gophers.
I think a lot of Gopher fans would agree that his play and development based on tools should have been better.

Cannot lay all of the blame at the previous coaches feets either though, some responsibility for a lack of improvement and development falls on the player himself.
No coach can force a player to not throw off the back foot, and or make poor decisions and be stiff and planted when throwing certain forced throws into coverage. Minnesota has never had or developed a great Quarterback in recent memory, we have had good athletes
that have played quarterback, but nobody that really excelled at the position. Mitch can blame poor coaching but he also owns some of his own failure to develop.

His agent may, yes. Will an article with quotes by Rich Gannon bolster his stock? No. I guess I should back peddle a bit.....I only know 2 Scouts (both Directors) and based on my conversations with them, this would be irrelevant in their assessments. Perhaps the other 30 may be open to hearing that.

IALTO:clap:

You guys are great!

I think the question was why would Gannon make this opinion public. I was defending that it was to try and bolster ML7's stock. Not that all teams would jump him up the board because of it.

Gannon played in the NFL for 17-years. JB may poopoo that, but I'm guessing a team thinking of drafting ML7 may speak to a 17-year NFL vet who has been training him to get input. I was the first to say that info is biased as ML7 is his client - and I'm sure the scouts will know that too. Doesn't mean they won't ask and doesn't mean that isn't why Rich is putting that point out. The other option is he just decided to rip on the old coaching staff for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct on all points and not disagreeing with your assessment.
My opinion is while that may have been the purpose of his comments, the effect is minimal, if any at all based on the information I know on how scouting works (which is a small sample - 2 franchises; neither of which are in need of a QB). Guess I could have just stated fair enough.

Here the Claeysters and Killsters out to defend his honor and ****ty passing offense the last six years. Am I doing that right?

No. You can criticize Leidner/Kill/Claeys and doubt Fleck. They are not mutually exclusive.

I thought during one summer Leidner went to the Manning Passing Academy, actually just found an article that he attended it not once but twice, will Gannon go on record that the Manning's don't know how to QB?

Sophomore Leidner > Senior Leidner. Tough as I had expected more improvement. If that is on coaches - I have no idea. Perhaps he just had better talent around him as a Soph.?

If Mitch becomes a legit NFL QB then I will question the coaching staff. Until then, I will continue to believe that Mitch was nothing more than an average BIG10 guy.

It was obvious that the previous staff didn't know what to do with a QB. The best performances out of their QB's typically came when they had an unexpected substitution that the QB came in raw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about another Mitch Leidner thread?

should have been better is a line you can put under just about every CFB player...

I like Mitch, but Mitch got a lot of time, the guys he missed ... he was the one throwing the ball.

To be clear, he played for three different staffs (or at least regimes) ; the original staff, the post-Kill Limgrover offense, and then the Jay Johnson lead system.

I think he looked great at the end of 2014 under the Limegrover lead offense after Kill left, and we saw a lot of the Bad Mitch last year.

Mitch always showed he could throw a good long ball though, under any staff. Gannon is a fairly credible guy.

Any competent football fan would know Gannon is right. I mean come on, throwing in Chris Streveler and making him run like 2939484 times... he had no chance on passing because they never put him in any good situations, and only allowed him to pass when he had to (obvious passing situations like 3rd and long). The old coaching staff is the only staff I've seen where we're afraid to play 2nd, 3rd, 4th string QB's. They'd rather play their running back at QB than an actual back up QB. Why do you think Nelson ran with the quickness? The writing was on the wall, the old coaching staff had no knowledge of QBs and how to make things easier for them.

The way the Kill staff treated Streveler was very telling. They completely bungled the situation and never let the guy show what he could do, even vs. San Jose St. Later he proved them all wrong at SDSU.

Hopefully we'll see some good quarterbacking now. Its been a brutal stretch.

Here the Claeysters and Killsters out to defend his honor and ****ty passing offense the last six years. Am I doing that right?

no, tools all around on this thread. Killster and Claeyster did just fine. we shall what row the ship can do..

The poor passing game during the Kill/Claeys era pretty much speaks for itself. I assume part of it is due to the design of the offense, part coaching and part due to talent around the QB. I'm sure Leidner could've looked better with a different staff.

Having said that, a big, strong guy like Leidner can absolutely look great in drills with no pass and no coverage and look terrible when the action is live. Much of being a great quarterback is recognizing where to throw before receivers are open, then hitting them. Leidner almost always seemed to find the open receiver too late.

Weber taught him the old bounce pass but that wasn't always very effective

per Dane:

There’s no question that former Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner looks the part. His 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame speaks for itself.

Leidner, however, has never been considered an elite prospect in the upcoming NFL Draft because of the litany of questions surrounding his actual talent.

But he has been working tirelessly to prove those doubters wrong, and about a month ago, turned to former NFL MVP quarterback Rich Gannon for help.

Gannon had never seen Leidner play in person and was a little unsure what exactly he could provide in terms of guidance.

“He reached out to me and asked if I would come and spend some time with him,” Gannon said. “I watched him throw a little bit and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought he had good arm talent.”

“I’ve learned a ton from him so far,” Leidner said. “He is a really big stickler on accuracy and getting my completion percentage up. We’ve watched tons of film together and talked about how I can improve those things.”

In fact, Gannon had Leidner study film of every interception he threw and every sack he took in his three and a half years as the Gophers’ starting quarterback.

“I talked to him about certain things and I started to feel like he wasn’t always placed in the best situation to succeed,” Gannon said. “There was a lot of change there, and I’m not so sure the coaching was up to par because I think he should’ve been a better player than he was at that level. … I think if he has a chance to get with a good team, a good coaching staff, a good position coach, that could really benefit him.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/1...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1489170147

Go Gophers!!

i love how looking the part means being 6'3" and 225 pounds. looking the part of what, exactly?

Leidner doesn't play for the Gophers anymore. Claeys doesn't coach the Gophers any more.

PJ Fleck is the coach of the Gophers. He will be judged on his results, starting this fall. If he is as good of a coach as some people on this board believe, then the results should be clear to see for everyone. We'll know in 9 or 10 months what the results of the 1st season will be.

If the Gophers have a good season, I will give Fleck the credit. If the Gophers have a poor season, I will hold Fleck accountable. I will not blame the former coach, former QB, former ankle-taper, or former anything.

agree former offense lacked what it took for the big ten or any major conference. Limey at PSU showed that having him do two jobs one of which was calling half the plays when it was a running situation. he could not have stayed as a OL coach only
we will see after he gets his own players that he recruited to PSU how good a coach he

Leidner doesn't play for the Gophers anymore. Claeys doesn't coach the Gophers any more.

PJ Fleck is the coach of the Gophers. He will be judged on his results, starting this fall. If he is as good of a coach as some people on this board believe, then the results should be clear to see for everyone. We'll know in 9 or 10 months what the results of the 1st season will be.

If the Gophers have a good season, I will give Fleck the credit. If the Gophers have a poor season, I will hold Fleck accountable. I will not blame the former coach, former QB, former ankle-taper, or former anything.

I agree to a point, but I also think the lack of depth in certain positions (which was not entirely under Fleck's control) may lead to a somewhat disappointing season next year regardless of what coach was hired. And yes, that includes had they retained Claeys (who had more to do with the current situation, though not entirely in his control either).

That's not to say he should not be held accountable to any extent, but I still don't believe that if next year's team played this year's schedule that the Gophers would have won 9 games. Doesn't mean we should expect or be OK with 5 wins, but doesn't mean that 9 wins is the basement for acceptable, either in my opinion...

i love how looking the part means being 6'3" and 225 pounds. looking the part of what, exactly?
Strong quarterback physical charcteristics good height and weight for a pro prospect quarterback
no, tools all around on this thread. Killster and Claeyster did just fine. we shall what row the ship can do..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom