Mark Coyle talks Fleck excitement, WMU player contact rumors, etc.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this MN Daily Q&A:

The football spring season is underway. Anything you’ve noticed from them since we talked in January?

There’s a sense of urgency and excitement obviously, with [head coach P.J. Fleck] being a new coach. He gets to have his first practice, so I’m sure he’s excited. I had a chance to talk with him [Tuesday] afternoon. He’s excited to be out there and have a practice and spend time with those students. I think our students are excited. I know coach Fleck, our new coaching staff, is excited to get practice started and to continue to build on the momentum we have in place and keep moving forward.

There was a report Fleck had communicated with a former player. Did you take that seriously? Note: This question was asked before it was reported Minnesota would be self-reporting a NCAA violation.

What was interesting about that is they were all anonymous sources and that type of deal. We’re not recruiting any students from Western Michigan. There’s all these anonymous stories and so forth, and we’re not recruiting any students from Western Michigan.

How did you respond to the report?

Every day, information comes across your desk. I can tell you, when information comes across our desk, we want to make sure we understand what that information is and most importantly, we react on any information that comes across our desk. Again, we didn’t see any recruiting of student athletes. We’re not recruiting anyone from Western Michigan and we move forward from there.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...ftball-team-success-eggum-and-mens-basketball

Go Gophers!!

per this MN Daily Q&A:

The football spring season is underway. Anything you’ve noticed from them since we talked in January?

There’s a sense of urgency and excitement obviously, with [head coach P.J. Fleck] being a new coach. He gets to have his first practice, so I’m sure he’s excited. I had a chance to talk with him [Tuesday] afternoon. He’s excited to be out there and have a practice and spend time with those students. I think our students are excited. I know coach Fleck, our new coaching staff, is excited to get practice started and to continue to build on the momentum we have in place and keep moving forward.

There was a report Fleck had communicated with a former player. Did you take that seriously? Note: This question was asked before it was reported Minnesota would be self-reporting a NCAA violation.

What was interesting about that is they were all anonymous sources and that type of deal. We’re not recruiting any students from Western Michigan. There’s all these anonymous stories and so forth, and we’re not recruiting any students from Western Michigan.

Every day, information comes across your desk. I can tell you, when information comes across our desk, we want to make sure we understand what that information is and most importantly, we react on any information that comes across our desk. Again, we didn’t see any recruiting of student athletes. We’re not recruiting anyone from Western Michigan and we move forward from there.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...ftball-team-success-eggum-and-mens-basketball

Go Gophers!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mark "we must live in truth always" Coyle!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mark "we must live in truth always" Coyle!

He sure knows how to answer a question without answering it. He should run for congress.

Open, honest and transparent. Not. Wow.

Beetlejuice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no Coyle fan but that was a pretty good response to the WMU reports.

I like him noting they were all anonymous type reports, little dig there at the rumors, nice.

I heard Coyle was from Iowa. He has a very Jerry Kill/ Tracy Claeys twang to his voice.

I dislike like him mainly due to his weasel like actions, but this hayseed accent is somewhat odd. I know people in Northern iowa and Central Iowa (Des Moines/ Cedar Rapids/ Iowa City). None of them have that country accent that Coyle has.

Is he really a product of Iowa?

What happened in Iowa stays in Iowa.

I heard Coyle was from Iowa. He has a very Jerry Kill/ Tracy Claeys twang to his voice.

I dislike like him mainly due to his weasel like actions, but this hayseed accent is somewhat odd. I know people in Northern iowa and Central Iowa (Des Moines/ Cedar Rapids/ Iowa City). None of them have that country accent that Coyle has.

Is he really a product of Iowa?

He is from Iowa but he was smart enough to get out of there. Love/hate border is always pretty thin. He fired Claeys and that whole mess and I hated him. He hired fleck and well, I sure love the hire. If he extends Pitino I will love the deal. If he continues to spearhead the development of our facilities and keeps us relevant, I am a happy camper. If he puts together programs that protects young women on campus and teaches our young men how to avoid the pitfalls we have seen over the last year, then I say way to go!!!

He can twang as much as his heart desires and I will love the twang.

Can't wait until the BoR fire Kaler and Coyle this summer...:rolleyes:

I can't wait until St. Patrick leads me to the pot of gold, the tooth fairly brings me a quarter, and Santa Claus comes down the chimney. I like my odds better than yours.

Since we will never know what was going on in the background of the whole mess with the players AND Claeys...

Never know.

Never understand.

I think Coyle's done a hell of a job and is probably as good an AD as Minnesota's ever had. If you've never been a manager or a boss, you are incapable of getting it. I was in a similar position when I took over my current job. I was brand new to the place. There were all kinds of issues with personnel, my predecessor, and upper management. Yes, it included sexual indiscretions. I had to reassign personnel and deal with all kinds of rumor and innuendo. People quit, people were fired.

What I told my staff is: "You're going to hear all kinds of stuff, but you guys know what the truth is. It will take time to heal, and you can't give a **** about what people think. Eventually, the new way we do things and my honesty toward you is what matters."

Anyone on the outside I told "Yes, you are going to hear a lot of stuff. It's being dealt with." And it was. That was it.

I have given Coyle and Kaler a "wait and see" on this, because you can't know 100% was was really going on. We probably don't know half. This isn't about saving your butt, it's about saving the organization.

I can't wait until St. Patrick leads me to the pot of gold, the tooth fairly brings me a quarter, and Santa Claus comes down the chimney. I like my odds better than yours.

That's not my story and I agree with you. That's been the long time, over repeated story of the person I responded to.

Since we will never know what was going on in the background of the whole mess with the players AND Claeys...

Never know.

Never understand.

I think Coyle's done a hell of a job and is probably as good an AD as Minnesota's ever had. If you've never been a manager or a boss, you are incapable of getting it. I was in a similar position when I took over my current job. I was brand new to the place. There were all kinds of issues with personnel, my predecessor, and upper management. Yes, it included sexual indiscretions. I had to reassign personnel and deal with all kinds of rumor and innuendo. People quit, people were fired.

What I told my staff is: "You're going to hear all kinds of stuff, but you guys know what the truth is. It will take time to heal, and you can't give a **** about what people think. Eventually, the new way we do things and my honesty toward you is what matters."

Anyone on the outside I told "Yes, you are going to hear a lot of stuff. It's being dealt with." And it was. That was it.

I have given Coyle and Kaler a "wait and see" on this, because you can't know 100% was was really going on. We probably don't know half. This isn't about saving your butt, it's about saving the organization.

While that is all true, on Claeys, it would have been much better all around if Coyle had just gone with the truth. He was given Tracy and he wanted his guy all along. Looking at the sad excuse for a contract, it's hard not to reason that Kaler never wanted him either.

Just saying that, "We appreciate with Claeys has done, but feel the need to go elsewhere for the future" and there would have been very little outcry on the firing.

While that is all true, on Claeys, it would have been much better all around if Coyle had just gone with the truth. He was given Tracy and he wanted his guy all along. Looking at the sad excuse for a contract, it's hard not to reason that Kaler never wanted him either.

Just saying that, "We appreciate with Claeys has done, but feel the need to go elsewhere for the future" and there would have been very little outcry on the firing.

Then you would all be complaining that Claeys was fired for kids being kids.

per this MN Daily Q&A:

Go Gophers!!

Blah, blah, blah. I loved when Coyle was hired. Seemed like we got a real, legit AD. And I hope that his behind the scenes leadership is strong. But when this guy talks, you might as well insert the generic adult voice from the Peanuts cartoon.

Never know.

Never understand.

Oh please. Did you openly trash the people that left or were fired? Are you incapable of communicating simple concepts and ideas? Did your inability to effectively communicate directly lead to your department mutinying and walking off the job?

Coyle has hired Fleck which is about as exciting a hire as there has been in decades. Outside that, all bad as far as I've observed. That said, people can grow and redeem themselves. I just don't see it happening with our pompous pair.

I think my college logic professor would call this a logical fallacy:

I like Fleck.
Coyle hired Fleck.
Therefore, Coyle is a good AD.

In truth, Coyle may be a good AD, but you can't extrapolate that from one hiring. Coyle may be an inept bozo who got lucky when hiring Fleck. he may also be a good administrator who doesn't present well in public speaking situations. But - speaking as someone who deals in communications - the man should never get in front of a microphone. he seems to be incapable of uttering a simple declarative sentence without confusing people as to his true meaning. That does not make him a bad person or a bad AD - but it does make him a poor communicator.

Oh please. Did you openly trash the people that left or were fired? Are you incapable of communicating simple concepts and ideas? Did your inability to effectively communicate directly lead to your department mutinying and walking off the job?

Coyle has hired Fleck which is about as exciting a hire as there has been in decades. Outside that, all bad as far as I've observed. That said, people can grow and redeem themselves. I just don't see it happening with our pompous pair.

+1.

Top Bottom