GopherSports: 2017 Spring Preview: Linebackers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

Minnesota has twelve linebackers on its spring practice roster and 10 of the twelve have seen game action. The group, which is coached by defensive coordinator Robb Smith, is the deepest on defense and could be considered the greatest overall strength that Minnesota has on its roster. Smith will certainly have options at the position in the fall.

The most tenured of the backers is Cody Poock, who will be a redshirt senior in the fall. Poock, who has battled injuries during his career, has the potential to be a difference maker for the Gophers. He has played in 19 career games and has tallied 123 tackles, which includes 69 solo stops. Poock has started 14 games for the Gophers, but missed six games last season with an injury.

Jonathan Celestin enters his final year in the Maroon and Gold after a breakout junior season in which he finished second on the team in tackles with 80. The Jonesboro, Ga., native has played in 37 career games with 13 starts. He has 139 career tackles (90 solo tackles) and has also made 14 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. Celestin has broken up five career passes and has also forced three fumbles for the Gophers.

Blake Weber and Everett Williams will be redshirt juniors in the fall after both redshirted last season. Weber played in nine games on special teams in 2015 as a sophomore, which was his first season at Minnesota after he transferred from Rochester Community and Technical College. Williams has made three career starts at linebacker and has played in 15 games (seven in 2015 and eight in 2014). He has 14 career tackles and two pass breakups on his resume.

Blake Cashman and Julian Huff will both be juniors in the fall and both have proven to be special players on the field. Cashman was a revelation last season as he emerged as a skilled pass-rusher. The Eden Prairie, Minn., native notched 45 tackles last season, but led the Gophers with in sacks (7.5) and was second on the team in tackles for loss (10.5). Cashman, who also forced one fumble, was named Holiday Bowl Defensive Most Valuable Player after recording 12 tackles, two tackles for loss and one sack.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030917aab.html

Go Gophers!!

Nice, to get a run down of every one on the roster at a particular position. I could look it up...but is Guthrie the only incoming freshman linebacker? It would be nice to include the incoming freshman along with the new PWO's at each position group...assuming this is a series? Thank you!

This thread made me think about Coach Sherels. I see he is still listed on the staff but has no title or bio.
Anyone have an update they can share? Regardless of whether he coaches or not, I'd sure wish for him to be as healthy as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nice, to get a run down of every one on the roster at a particular position. I could look it up...but is Guthrie the only incoming freshman linebacker? It would be nice to include the incoming freshman along with the new PWO's at each position group...assuming this is a series? Thank you!

Yes, Guthrie is only LB in the 2017 class.

Yes, Guthrie is only LB in the 2017 class.

This could actually be a little bit of an issue in a couple years because we didn't RS any of our LBers last year.

So, it seems to make the most sense to RS Guthrie because we have good depth and we even have some guys who can work in a pinch behind that depth.

That said, if we RS Guthrie, there is going to be a class without a LBer followed by a class with 1 LBer (this class could grow if we recruit and don't RS a few 2018 recruits).

This isn't that big of an issue now, but it's something to keep our eye on. It's a similar situation as to what happened with our DTs (but that situation wasn't fixed right away).

And here everyone thought Everett Williams was a fourth string MLB when in reality he was getting a redshirt year.

When is NCAA supposed to rule on adding a coach. I thought it was sometime in March.

Top Bottom