Former Gopher coach Brian Anderson on Twitter: "Change the culture? Oh Please"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Former Gopher coach Brian Anderson on Twitter: "Change the culture? Oh Please"

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Right or wrong, not sure the tweet about it route worked for TC either Brian...

True. But that has nothing to do with the tweet.

Yeah, it had absolutely nothing to do with his tweet. He is also kind of a weird guy to rip on as a recruiter. He was the lead recruiter for Shannon Brooks, Rodney Smith, Jalen Myrick, Jonathon Celestin, Tai'yon Devers, and Daletavious McGhee.

So yeah, it's a bizarre ad hominem and not a particularly apt one.

Yeah, it had absolutely nothing to do with his tweet. He is also kind of a weird guy to rip on as a recruiter. He was the lead recruiter for Shannon Brooks, Rodney Smith, Jalen Myrick, Jonathon Celestin, Tai'yon Devers, and Daletavious McGhee.

Did he scout and pick them out as great players... or did he just recruit them?

Brooks was supposedly under recruited if all he did was recruit the guy that didn't sound like a hard job....

He's also been the lead recruiter for a lot of other guys who didn't pan out on offense. And coached the not so good WRs for the last three years.

I wouldn't exactly consider Devers and McGhee successes yet either. Devers had two good non-conference games. He has a lot of potential, but has a ways to go to be an every down DE.

McGhee was passed up by a true freshman last year and was kicked out of 3 games for targeting. Not exactly great.

Brooks was supposedly under recruited if all he did was recruit the guy that didn't sound like a hard job....

He still had to recognize talent that others didn't appreciate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He still had to recognize talent that others didn't appreciate

Not necessarily, he could have thought they were just accessible.

Brooks was pretty far down the depth chart even after he got here...

Not necessarily, he could have thought they were just accessible.

Brooks was pretty far down the depth chart even after he got here...

So far down that he led us in rushing as a true freshman didn't he? I think a lot of freshman start low on the depth chart and then have to prove themselves. All that said I really don't know what any of this has to do with this tweet. I would have let it go if I were him, but the continuous talk of culture change is bs.

The culture was good with the last staff. It improved tremendously from where it was when they took over. IMO the alleged sexual assault was an isolated incident and not a chronic issue reflective of the culture.

The culture under Fleck will change. That doesn't mean it was bad under the last staff. Just that it will be different now.

When someone pounds their chest and talks endlessly about how great, er, elite they or implies they (previous staff) weredoing these guys wrong it's going to raise some hackles. Deal with it.

It just shows that sour grapes transcend all race, creed, and professional abilities.

it's missing the point with Fleck's "change the culture". though I wouldn't expect BA to catch the nuance. It's not, we have bad kids doing bad things, needs to change. It's changing the whole program, the perception of the program, and doing things in a different way. Or as fleck says, it's about connecting people. Maybe not a huge change from Kill, but probably pretty big from (edit) Claeys.

Flecks not very good at communicating that as I took it a whole different way. Especially since he and Coyle took the stage and were pretty clear about the culture thing. Seemed like a joint statement.

Look, I'd be happy if he'd shut up about changing the culture and just do it. Lead by example. If he doesn't realize or care how he comes off to some people then he's not as self-aware as he should be.

Fleck's style, tactics, and propoganda are not popular with some GHers. They are far less popular with competing coaches and likely even less with coaches that have been displaced at the U. And this from a guy who coached with him at NIU. It looks like Brian Anderson isn't Rowing The Boat.
I'm guessing PJ Fleck didn't quite fit in with Kill's staff at NIU as a holdover from the previous staff and wasn't missed when he left for Rutgers. Of course, we all know that the one big happy family of Kill's staff was BS b/c Claeys fired Limegrover and Zebroski the first chance he got, so that may not be indicative of much.
I expect that Fleck is either going to swim or sink with the Gophers. They'll be no in-between, like with Kill and Mason, b/c a lack of success resembling mediocre and Fleck's program will be mocked relentlessly by many.
Fleck has a better chance of success than Brewster b/c Brewster had never run a successful program and Fleck has, but he will have more of a target on his back b/c I suspect he rubs other coaches the wrong way.

Every coach tries to change the culture. No one says "I'm going to do everything just like my predecessor did." Sometimes the change is big, sometimes it's more subtle.

The part of the culture that has sucked is losing to Wisky for XX years in a row. The last staff lost to Wisky 6 years in a row. No excuses, that sucks and needs to change. So does losing recruits in December/January. And not getting the type of out-of-state recruits needed to be a top 25 team. The culture of recruiting already seems to be changing for the better. We'll see if it holds and if the wins follow.

He's also been the lead recruiter for a lot of other guys who didn't pan out on offense. And coached the not so good WRs for the last three years.

I wouldn't exactly consider Devers and McGhee successes yet either. Devers had two good non-conference games. He has a lot of potential, but has a ways to go to be an every down DE.

McGhee was passed up by a true freshman last year and was kicked out of 3 games for targeting. Not exactly great.

Fair to criticize Anderson for not developing WR talent (huge glaring weakness of Kills/Claeys teams).

A huge stretch though to criticize Anderson for Duke McGhee's targeting penalties. He's not even a defensive coach and the targeting rules/enforcement are questionable anyway.

I also agree with others that the "culture change" can mean lots of different things. I don't think it necessarily has to mean that TC's team had a bad culture. Fleck's culture is definitely different and hopefully it results in more wins and fans attending/watching games.

Fair to criticize Anderson for not developing WR talent (huge glaring weakness of Kills/Claeys teams).

A huge stretch though to criticize Anderson for Duke McGhee's targeting penalties. He's not even a defensive coach and the targeting rules/enforcement are questionable anyway.

I'll disagree with that last part... Duke's penalties were mostly legit. As much as there is about griping about targeting, Duke didn't exactly leave much open to interpretation.

Flecks not very good at communicating that as I took it a whole different way. Especially since he and Coyle took the stage and were pretty clear about the culture thing. Seemed like a joint statement.

Look, I'd be happy if he'd shut up about changing the culture and just do it. Lead by example. If he doesn't realize or care how he comes off to some people then he's not as self-aware as he should be.

Agree, right or wrong, Coyle seemed very direct in his interpretation of what it meant to him. Fleck is very self aware and has said it many times. It is who he is, he understands some will react coolly or negative to it, and seems completely OK with it.

Wasn't criticizing Anderson for McGhee's penalties. Was questioning Bob's statement that I shouldn't criticize Anderson's recruiting because he recruited McGhee, who to this point hasn't been that great of a player.

I'll disagree with that last part... Duke's penalties were mostly legit. As much as there is about griping about targeting, Duke didn't exactly leave much open to interpretation.

Are you saying Duke's targeting penalties are Brian Anderson's fault?

I'd have to go back and watch Duke's. I know I disagreed with at least half the targeting calls last year. Not sure how many were Duke's.

Are you saying Duke's targeting penalties are Brian Anderson's fault?

I'd have to go back and watch Duke's. I know I disagreed with at least half the targeting calls last year. Not sure how many were Duke's.

I'm saying I disagreed with the last part, that is just the statement regarding Duke's penalties being deserved or not.... Duke earned them, needs to change how he plays.

Which does PJF do?

WHY do we need to diminish the previous staff in an effort to support Fleck. Makes no sense at all.

I see where he's coming from. I would rather hear "elite" 100 more times than hear "culture change" once more. I agree with what was said before, it is Coyle's mantra and I feel Fleck keeps throwing it out there between "RTBs" to keep the bosses happy.
Fleck and Anderson were on the same N. Illinois staff, correct? I read somewhere that Claeys grew tired of Fleck's motivational notes, cheers, etc. when they were there together. I wonder if Anderson shared the same feelings?

I also agree with others that the "culture change" can mean lots of different things. I don't think it necessarily has to mean that TC's team had a bad culture. Fleck's culture is definitely different and hopefully it results in more wins and fans attending/watching games.

Agree with this, but the problem is Coyle painted it something different. The TC firing speech is another example of what a hack MC is.

One of the big culture changes is the drive and enthusiasm from the top. Fleck sprints between drills. He gets down on the turf and steals the ball away from a player. I have been to many practices where I never once noticed Claeys. I can't imagine Claeys sprinting to a drill. Seeing your coach putting all that drive into his practice behavior has to rub off on the players. I played for coaches who weren't demanding of me. And now when I look back on it, I'm pissed at them (and of course myself as well). I had so much more to give but they just accepted the level that I was willing to work. I know I would have been twice the player under a guy like Fleck.

Right or wrong, he's going to want to make culture changes at the next place, too. It's not always about bad to good, but fitting the place and coach's philosophy (which almost by definition means the Coach thinks it's the best, so from "good to great" is assumed).

Cheap shot, even if it is fair to say the President and AD are unfairly stating there were major culture issues under the last staff.

Top Bottom