Former Gopher coach Brian Anderson on Twitter: "Change the culture? Oh Please"

Fleck didn't insinuate that the culture was poor he simply said he will change it. Just because you interpreted it that way doesn't make it so. Like others have said Fleck has made it clear he wasn't criticizing the previous staff.

Every time there is a coaching change there is a culture change. Every single time.

Fair enough, but the people that know him better than you or I are upset. His message can be taken a lot of different ways. Claeys tweet was pretty clear to me but the dodos in the media and here totally misinterpreted it. Sometimes less said the better. I don't think Fleck has learned that yet.

This is the kind of garbage nonsense people have been saying that is just plain stupid. There is zero correlation between coaches sprinting to a drill and winning percentage. Zero. You think Nick Saban sprints to drills in practice? Get real and stop posting idiocy.

+1000

Coaches have different methods of how to motivate players, and they may employ those different methods simultaneously using assistant coaches. Saban uses the Vince Lombardi method of anger and fear. Fleck uses enthusiasm and positivity. But Saban also has a strength coach that can match Fleck's energy to motivate, and sometimes the strength coach is the guy that a team fears.
Everybody has a little different role and the head coach gets to decide what role he wants to play.
IMO, Claeys didn't grasp his role the way Jerry Kill did, and I don't think he was capable or cognizant of it.

Agree on the bolded, I just think Anderson missed more than he hit, especially on offense. I thought he was one of the weakest links on the coaching staff which is likely why he's still unemployed.

So weird. He recruited the two best offensive players during Kill's tenure.

I won't defend him as being able to coach up WRs, but he recruited offense pretty well for us.

As far as why he isn't back. . . um. . . because he brought in an entire new staff. Which is totally cool, but it doesn't speak to the abilities of the former staff.

So weird. He recruited the two best offensive players during Kill's tenure.

I won't defend him as being able to coach up WRs, but he recruited offense pretty well for us.

As far as why he isn't back. . . um. . . because he brought in an entire new staff. Which is totally cool, but it doesn't speak to the abilities of the former staff.

2 out of how many? He recruited a lot of the skill position players on offense. I never expected him to be back here. A number of the former assistants have picked up other good jobs. BA hasn't yet, likely for a reason.

You're lying to yourself if you think one night they decided to gangbang a girl for the first time and it hasn't happened since.

Only fascists care about the consensual sexual practices of other people. So, I don't think that is what he was referring to.

I believe he was referring to a situation happening where a sexual assault is being accused. The evidence surrounding those allegations seems tenuous.

As far as group sex, well, who cares? We aren't fascists. I'm sure there are hundreds of people having group sex tonight in Minneapolis without an accusation of sexual assault.

The impression PJ delivers starting with the press conference going forward is how great HE is. How broken the culture was. It may not be what he means but it's what he's saying. It's short sighted. It is only going to take one guy to step out of line and his whole platform crumbles. His culture doesn't work. Haha At that point he will be justly ridiculed. Why not praise the work that was done, strive to elevate it to an even higher level and talk football. It's dangerous in 2017 to tout yourself so publicly about changing culture to perfect. Too many people have voices on twitter, facebook and the media to excitedly laugh at your failure.
Jerry talked family values and compared it to raising kids and was honest that your kids don't always do what you want to them to. But we're trying really hard to make you proud of the Gophers. (one of the many problems how the alleged sexual assault was handled is there was no authority plea for understanding in an isolated incident, for sorrow to the alleged victim, etc sincerely delivered with compassion and concern like Jerry would have out front, accountable) PJ is implying it is going to always be perfect under him. He's leaving himself no out. Life doesn't work like that.
I think PJ is going to win football games and recruit well if he doesn't get buried under the backlash of a scandal he is inviting to grow bigger than it needs to be. He is promoting the wrong message. It's not about him it's the players and then Gopher football. Striving to make better citizens and win games. Leave some room for error.
His culture mantra is way too much the story...not football. jmo

It's short sighted for who? You? Many others get it. As for your last sentence, how is it supposed to be all about football when spring practice just started and he's still 5 1/2 months from coaching his first Gopher game?

When Kill was hired we heard a lot of the same stories. Change the culture, Minnesota loafers, etc. You could say Kill was very much about himself and doing things his way too. Every new coach is that way.

2 out of how many? He recruited a lot of the skill position players on offense. I never expected him to be back here. A number of the former assistants have picked up other good jobs. BA hasn't yet, likely for a reason.

Does it matter? He recruited our two BEST players on offense.

He recruited Jeff Jones - - His failure to develop can't really be placed on Anderson. I'm sure you'll try to spin it that it does, but that's silly.
Holland - bust
Croft - We'll see
Howard - We'll see
Hmieleski - We'll see
Register - Likely bust
Smith - Home Run
WDL - So far so good
Myrick - Home Run
Devers - So far so good
Peppers - Bust
Still - He is ok. He'll probably be our leading receiver next season (will likely finish with stats similar to Woli). So, I'll give him a C
Beebe - So far so good
McGhee - Good
Celestin - Home Run
Jones - Bust (hard to put that one on Anderson, but I will, for the sake of discussion)

So the offensive busts are Hollard, Register and Jones. He had absolute home runs with Smith and Brooks and he did pretty well on Still and Beebe. That's pretty darn good for a recruiter.

Defensively, it's hard to really debate. He recruited Myrick, McGhee, WDL, Celestin and Devers. They are either really good, starters, or promising FR.

You're simply wrong about Brian Anderson. He was a good recruiter for us.

As to your second point, yeah, it also happened pretty late in the process. We'll see on next year. Care to make a wager on whether or not he'll remain unemployed?

You're lying to yourself if you think one night they decided to gangbang a girl for the first time and it hasn't happened since.

As a frat boy your probably speaking from experience huh?..

Does it matter? He recruited our two BEST players on offense.

He recruited Jeff Jones - - His failure to develop can't really be placed on Anderson. I'm sure you'll try to spin it that it does, but that's silly.
Holland - bust
Croft - We'll see
Howard - We'll see
Hmieleski - We'll see
Register - Likely bust
Smith - Home Run
WDL - So far so good
Myrick - Home Run
Devers - So far so good
Peppers - Bust
Still - He is ok. He'll probably be our leading receiver next season (will likely finish with stats similar to Woli). So, I'll give him a C
Beebe - So far so good
McGhee - Good
Celestin - Home Run
Jones - Bust (hard to put that one on Anderson, but I will, for the sake of discussion)

So the offensive busts are Hollard, Register and Jones. He had absolute home runs with Smith and Brooks and he did pretty well on Still and Beebe. That's pretty darn good for a recruiter.

Defensively, it's hard to really debate. He recruited Myrick, McGhee, WDL, Celestin and Devers. They are either really good, starters, or promising FR.

You're simply wrong about Brian Anderson. He was a good recruiter for us.

As to your second point, yeah, it also happened pretty late in the process. We'll see on next year. Care to make a wager on whether or not he'll remain unemployed?

I disagree with some of your ratings, plus I think you're missing some. Late in the process didn't make a difference for guys like Sawvel and Phelps. I'm sure he'll eventually pick up another job and I hope he does. He was definitely the assistant I was most happy to move on from.

Recruit and develop a top B1G WR? Oh Please...

Well he was the RB coach when Cobb developed from a third stringer to an All Big Ten and NFL RB.

Pat Poore was the WR coach at the time and that position was poor when he was the coach and continued to be poor when they made the switch to Anderson. The RB stable was strong under Anderson and continued to be strong under Poore so I don't think it's as simple as saying Anderson is a bad coach just because the WR corps were bad during his tenure. WR is just a harder position for Minnesota to get production out of than the RB position regardless of the coach.

Wolitarsky and Maye developed really nicely under Anderson anyways.

Did he scout and pick them out as great players... or did he just recruit them?

Brooks was supposedly under recruited if all he did was recruit the guy that didn't sound like a hard job....

They were all under recruited.

Am I the only one that thinks this "culture change" crap keeps getting thrown around mostly because of the much published and overly reported phrase "rape culture" and the incident that happened? Or at least that's where it originated?

Yes and No

Am I the only one that thinks this "culture change" crap keeps getting thrown around mostly because of the much published and overly reported phrase "rape culture" and the incident that happened? Or at least that's where it originated?

Mark Coyle started with the need for a culture change because of the alleged assault. He wanted someone to blame other than himself. PJ like a good soldier has followed the wishes of Coyle about the need for a cultural change. No doubt in my mind about that. But as many have said, any new coach is going to change the culture to his beliefs. It usually happens more behind closed doors with the players. Because of the hoped for PR gains to win over public opinion this transition is far more publicized than normal. Hard to tell however, if with PJ it would be presented any different even if the circumstances were absent of scandal and Coyle's encouragement.

Beetlejuice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Brian Anderson is not a good recruiter who are you giving more credit for the players of the successful 8 and 9 win seasons? It's entirely possible Brian Anderson just decided to sit this season out and recharge. Maybe he turned down jobs. It's not often you can get paid nicely for an entire year without working. These guys work 100 hour weeks and in his case he has done so for double figure years in a row. To say Brian Anderson didn't recruit well for the Gophers is just ill informed silly or biased.

If Brian Anderson is not a good recruiter who are you giving more credit for the players of the successful 8 and 9 win seasons? It's entirely possible Brian Anderson just decided to sit this season out and recharge. Maybe he turned down jobs. It's not often you can get paid nicely for an entire year without working. These guys work 100 hour weeks and in his case he has done so for double figure years in a row. To say Brian Anderson didn't recruit well for the Gophers is just ill informed silly or biased.

Easy, much of the success falls on the defensive staff and their player development. In case you missed it, the offense wasn't great for much of the Kill/Claeys era. BA was a big part of the offensive recruiting and player development.

They recruited a lot of under the radar guys and developed them. It turned Minnesota into a solid, middle of the B1G program. But the big reason why Minnesota only finished higher than 4th in the Big Ten West once in 6 years is because they didn't recruit and develop higher end talent, especially on offense.

60's, when analyzing GWG's posts, remember this simple equation....

PJF > Coyle > God > Boobies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only fascists care about the consensual sexual practices of other people. So, I don't think that is what he was referring to.

I believe he was referring to a situation happening where a sexual assault is being accused. The evidence surrounding those allegations seems tenuous.

As far as group sex, well, who cares? We aren't fascists. I'm sure there are hundreds of people having group sex tonight in Minneapolis without an accusation of sexual assault.

You need to come up with a different term. Group sex, in the sense that a group gathers for the common goal of having intercourse, is likely consensual by its nature. If you are making the claim that hundreds of Minneapolis young women are tonight having sex with multiple, serial, male partners they have not met before, I am calling bull****. And the latter scenario is riskier in terms of clear consent.

Or you and I just travel in different circles. I don't know anyone having weeknight group sex.

You need to come up with a different term. Group sex, in the sense that a group gathers for the common goal of having intercourse, is likely consensual by its nature. If you are making the claim that hundreds of Minneapolis young women are tonight having sex with multiple, serial, male partners they have not met before, I am calling bull****. And the latter scenario is riskier in terms of clear consent.

Or you and I just travel in different circles. I don't know anyone having weeknight group sex.

I don't personally know anyone who uses cocaine, but it's 100% certain that there are many people using it in Minneapolis as we speak. The world is a million times larger and more diverse than your narrow, isolated corner of it.

I don't know about you, but I can't wait until the season starts and we have actual games to talk about.

IMHO, this board is becoming more toxic than it ever was during the Brewster era. The middle-ground has vanished. Some - not all - of the Fleck supporters go nuts if you say anything that isn't 100% pro-Fleck. And, some of us who aren't sold on Fleck are enjoying our role as antagonists. (or, as Wren would say, offering "contrast.")

Just to point out - Brian Anderson was fired from his job at the U. Is anyone surprised that he isn't wildly enthusiastic about the coach(es) who replaced him?
That last paragraph is all that matters

Perhaps. But I know cocaine users. Tell me about the ladies you know.

Perhaps. But I know cocaine users. Tell me about the ladies you know.

I don't know or care about the sexual practices of any of the ladies in my life, my wife aside. That would be creepy and weird. Why would any normal person care about things like that? I also wouldn't think less of anyone that tells me they have frequent and regular group sex. It doesn't make them a bad or a lesser person.

I don't know or care about the sexual practices of any of the ladies in my life, my wife aside. That would be creepy and weird. Why would any normal person care about things like that? I also wouldn't think less of anyone that tells me they have frequent and regular group sex. It doesn't make them a bad or a lesser person.

We agree on that. That does not make something rare common.

We agree on that. That does not make something rare common.

Minneapolis has upwards of 400,000 people. Let's pretend that 400 people are having group sex right now. How is 0.1% "common"?

So much the bold. This is exactly what he has said also. He said his culture is different. He also said it isn't for everyone.

I can seriously taste Brian Anderson's salty tears from here.

Another excellent post about what Fleck has actually said. +1.

Fleck only started "clarifying" after Kill got in his grill at Hopkins HS regarding said "change the culture" comments.

Top Bottom