Former Gopher coach Brian Anderson on Twitter: "Change the culture? Oh Please"

Fleck has gone out of his way to say that while he wants to change the culture that the previous culture wasn't 'bad' and that changing the culture has more to do with it reflecting his style than making judgements about the previous one

Fleck has gone out of his way to say that while he wants to change the culture that the previous culture wasn't 'bad' and that changing the culture has more to do with it reflecting his style than making judgements about the previous one

Yep. Which is why it's odd to see people defending what he didn't mean to say.

Don't think it's attacking him and what he didn't mean to say.
It is more attacking the PJF people who come on here and claim him saying or doing ____ is the reason we are going to be good now, because I and others believe that the last coaching staff did the same things in their own way.

Or attacking what he didn't mean to say.:confused:

You got that right Jonnyboy, but not as amusing as seeing people scream "but he's right. The "culture needed to be changed!"

They should probably just e-mail Fleck on that right?

I also agree with others that the "culture change" can mean lots of different things. I don't think it necessarily has to mean that TC's team had a bad culture. Fleck's culture is definitely different and hopefully it results in more wins and fans attending/watching games.

So much the bold. This is exactly what he has said also. He said his culture is different. He also said it isn't for everyone.

I can seriously taste Brian Anderson's salty tears from here.

Fleck has gone out of his way to say that while he wants to change the culture that the previous culture wasn't 'bad' and that changing the culture has more to do with it reflecting his style than making judgement about the previous one

Another excellent post about what Fleck has actually said. +1.

He's also been the lead recruiter for a lot of other guys who didn't pan out on offense. And coached the not so good WRs for the last three years.

I wouldn't exactly consider Devers and McGhee successes yet either. Devers had two good non-conference games. He has a lot of potential, but has a ways to go to be an every down DE.

McGhee was passed up by a true freshman last year and was kicked out of 3 games for targeting. Not exactly great.

Well yeah, for sure he has. I was never arguing that all of his recruits completely panned out. I also wasn't arguing that McGhee was amazing (certainly started and played decent for the U in three seasons).

I'm arguing that it's weird to criticize a guy who recruited Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, and Jalen Myrick for his ability to recruit. Anderson was a good recruiter for us and just because he tweeted something that might ruffle some Fleckophiles' feathers doesn't change that.

On a side note - - ALL recruiters have misses. All of them. It's going to happen with Fleck. You try to look at the percentage of hits and the quality of hits. Well, Brooks, Smith and Myrick are three of the better recruits in the last few years.

For whatever reason Fleck rubs me the wrong way (it may be partly cultural- Canada is much less expressive than the US) but Anderson is a major league idiot to send out the tweet. His time is done at Minnesota- getting fired is part of being a coach. Deal with it and move on.

I don't know about you, but I can't wait until the season starts and we have actual games to talk about.

IMHO, this board is becoming more toxic than it ever was during the Brewster era. The middle-ground has vanished. Some - not all - of the Fleck supporters go nuts if you say anything that isn't 100% pro-Fleck. And, some of us who aren't sold on Fleck are enjoying our role as antagonists. (or, as Wren would say, offering "contrast.")

Just to point out - Brian Anderson was fired from his job at the U. Is anyone surprised that he isn't wildly enthusiastic about the coach(es) who replaced him?

Well yeah, for sure he has. I was never arguing that all of his recruits completely panned out. I also wasn't arguing that McGhee was amazing (certainly started and played decent for the U in three seasons).

I'm arguing that it's weird to criticize a guy who recruited Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, and Jalen Myrick for his ability to recruit. Anderson was a good recruiter for us and just because he tweeted something that might ruffle some Fleckophiles' feathers doesn't change that.

On a side note - - ALL recruiters have misses. All of them. It's going to happen with Fleck. You try to look at the percentage of hits and the quality of hits. Well, Brooks, Smith and Myrick are three of the better recruits in the last few years.

Agree on the bolded, I just think Anderson missed more than he hit, especially on offense. I thought he was one of the weakest links on the coaching staff which is likely why he's still unemployed.

Agree on the bolded, I just think Anderson missed more than he hit, especially on offense. <b>I thought he was one of the weakest links on the coaching staff which is likely why he's still unemployed.</b>

I won't begin to try and judge his recruiting ability, but it is hard to debate that his position group performed poorly overall and likely underachieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the big culture changes is the drive and enthusiasm from the top. Fleck sprints between drills. He gets down on the turf and steals the ball away from a player. I have been to many practices where I never once noticed Claeys. I can't imagine Claeys sprinting to a drill. Seeing your coach putting all that drive into his practice behavior has to rub off on the players. I played for coaches who weren't demanding of me. And now when I look back on it, I'm pissed at them (and of course myself as well). I had so much more to give but they just accepted the level that I was willing to work. I know I would have been twice the player under a guy like Fleck.
I can't imagine Claeys sprinting. Would be more of a lumbering.

I don't know about you, but I can't wait until the season starts and we have actual games to talk about.

IMHO, this board is becoming more toxic than it ever was during the Brewster era. The middle-ground has vanished. Some - not all - of the Fleck supporters go nuts if you say anything that isn't 100% pro-Fleck. And, some of us who aren't sold on Fleck are enjoying our role as antagonists. (or, as Wren would say, offering "contrast.")

Just to point out - Brian Anderson was fired from his job at the U. Is anyone surprised that he isn't wildly enthusiastic about the coach(es) who replaced him?

I'm certainly enjoying stirring the pot. The Fleck-ites/Flecksters/Fleckers (little Fleckers) like all ideologues are too easy to upset.

I wasn't fired and I can also say "oh please". No need to insinuate the culture was poor even if it was. Just shut up and coach, motivate, inspire to your hearts content. I realize he's speaking to Pitchfork Nation (as was Coyle) but cmon. Jerry and the boys are understandably disgusted. Sawvel allegedly didn't get along with Fleck at NIU?

For what it is worth, I remember Brewster sprinting down the field in a drill to yell at Ernie Wheelright once during a practice. Not sure sprinting in practice has any effect on play.

For what it is worth, I remember Brewster sprinting down the field in a drill to yell at Ernie Wheelright once during a practice. Not sure sprinting in practice has any effect on play.

I remember Kill sprinting at one of his first practices towards D'Jon McKnight and telling him to tuck the ball in tight if he wants to play in the NFL.

So PJF makes it 3 of the last 4 coaches that sprint at practice. Wonder if Mason did? Any stories?

So PJF makes it 3 of the last 4 coaches that sprint at practice. Wonder if Mason did? Any stories?

If the Ohio State AD would've been in the opposite end zone at practice with a contract, bet he would've sprinted to that. :cool:

lol

Probably true as well.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
Comes across like a tweet a 10th grader would send about a party they weren't invited to.
His message is perhaps even correct, but unprofessional to tweet that on a public forum.

Agree with this, but the problem is Coyle painted it something different. The TC firing speech is another example of what a hack MC is.

Agree with this. Coyle did it all wrong. Hopefully he is better moving forward.

The culture was good with the last staff. It improved tremendously from where it was when they took over. IMO the alleged sexual assault was an isolated incident and not a chronic issue reflective of the culture.

The culture under Fleck will change. That doesn't mean it was bad under the last staff. Just that it will be different now.

You're lying to yourself if you think one night they decided to gangbang a girl for the first time and it hasn't happened since.

If the Ohio State AD would've been in the opposite end zone at practice with a contract, bet he would've sprinted to that. :cool:

Very good!

When someone pounds their chest and talks endlessly about how great, er, elite they or implies they (previous staff) weredoing these guys wrong it's going to raise some hackles. Deal with it.

The impression PJ delivers starting with the press conference going forward is how great HE is. How broken the culture was. It may not be what he means but it's what he's saying. It's short sighted. It is only going to take one guy to step out of line and his whole platform crumbles. His culture doesn't work. Haha At that point he will be justly ridiculed. Why not praise the work that was done, strive to elevate it to an even higher level and talk football. It's dangerous in 2017 to tout yourself so publicly about changing culture to perfect. Too many people have voices on twitter, facebook and the media to excitedly laugh at your failure.
Jerry talked family values and compared it to raising kids and was honest that your kids don't always do what you want to them to. But we're trying really hard to make you proud of the Gophers. (one of the many problems how the alleged sexual assault was handled is there was no authority plea for understanding in an isolated incident, for sorrow to the alleged victim, etc sincerely delivered with compassion and concern like Jerry would have out front, accountable) PJ is implying it is going to always be perfect under him. He's leaving himself no out. Life doesn't work like that.
I think PJ is going to win football games and recruit well if he doesn't get buried under the backlash of a scandal he is inviting to grow bigger than it needs to be. He is promoting the wrong message. It's not about him it's the players and then Gopher football. Striving to make better citizens and win games. Leave some room for error.
His culture mantra is way too much the story...not football. jmo

I'm certainly enjoying stirring the pot. The Fleck-ites/Flecksters/Fleckers (little Fleckers) like all ideologues are too easy to upset.

I wasn't fired and I can also say "oh please". No need to insinuate the culture was poor even if it was. Just shut up and coach, motivate, inspire to your hearts content. I realize he's speaking to Pitchfork Nation (as was Coyle) but cmon. Jerry and the boys are understandably disgusted. Sawvel allegedly didn't get along with Fleck at NIU?

Fleck didn't insinuate that the culture was poor he simply said he will change it. Just because you interpreted it that way doesn't make it so. Like others have said Fleck has made it clear he wasn't criticizing the previous staff.

Every time there is a coaching change there is a culture change. Every single time.

The impression PJ delivers starting with the press conference going forward is how great HE is. How broken the culture was. It may not be what he means but it's what he's saying. It's short sighted. It is only going to take one guy to step out of line and his whole platform crumbles. His culture doesn't work. Haha At that point he will be justly ridiculed. Why not praise the work that was done, strive to elevate it to an even higher level and talk football. It's dangerous in 2017 to tout yourself so publicly about changing culture to perfect. Too many people have voices on twitter, facebook and the media to excitedly laugh at your failure.
Jerry talked family values and compared it to raising kids and was honest that your kids don't always do what you want to them to. But we're trying really hard to make you proud of the Gophers. (one of the many problems how the alleged sexual assault was handled is there was no authority plea for understanding in an isolated incident, for sorrow to the alleged victim, etc sincerely delivered with compassion and concern like Jerry would have out front, accountable) PJ is implying it is going to always be perfect under him. He's leaving himself no out. Life doesn't work like that.
I think PJ is going to win football games and recruit well if he doesn't get buried under the backlash of a scandal he is inviting to grow bigger than it needs to be. He is promoting the wrong message. It's not about him it's the players and then Gopher football. Striving to make better citizens and win games. Leave some room for error.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. Fleck has said many times that part of his job is making these kids better men, better husbands and better fathers. Connecting people and playing a very positive role in the community. Never giving up despite adversity. He's also not naive to think problems with his players won't arise like you imply. I don't see how anyone can argue that he is promoting the wrong message like you just stated.

Spot on

Not a great movie for him if he is still looking for a job. I understand why he is mad, but gotta keep that in check.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. Fleck has said many times that part of his job is making these kids better men, better husbands and better fathers. Connecting people and playing a very positive role in the community. Never giving up despite adversity. He's also not naive to think problems with his players won't arise like you imply. I don't see how anyone can argue that he is promoting the wrong message like you just stated.

I agree he says the bolded part. Would you also agree that is exactly the same message Kill/Tracy delivered? But when Kill/Tracy delivered the message it was about the players. When PJ delivers the message it's about PJ. I disagree PJ says anything about thinking there will be problems. That is my other point.
Maybe my strongest criticism is that he does not recognize the progress made by Kill/Tracy. Saying they need to improve the academic standing of the football program? Saying they need to change the culture spiritually when 85% of the guys were in bible study with the former coaches? ETC
Everybody has their own way of doing things. PJ is not starting with a bankrupt WMU football program. He inherited a pretty nice situation. I have heard one forced very short video comment from PJ that the previous staff did a good job. Everything I hear is how it NEEDS to change insinuating it was bad. Not that I have a different style, it's going to be different...which he has probably said too. But I hear the "needs to change" far more often.

One of the big culture changes is the drive and enthusiasm from the top. Fleck sprints between drills. He gets down on the turf and steals the ball away from a player. I have been to many practices where I never once noticed Claeys. I can't imagine Claeys sprinting to a drill. Seeing your coach putting all that drive into his practice behavior has to rub off on the players. I played for coaches who weren't demanding of me. And now when I look back on it, I'm pissed at them (and of course myself as well). I had so much more to give but they just accepted the level that I was willing to work. I know I would have been twice the player under a guy like Fleck.

This is the kind of garbage nonsense people have been saying that is just plain stupid. There is zero correlation between coaches sprinting to a drill and winning percentage. Zero. You think Nick Saban sprints to drills in practice? Get real and stop posting idiocy.

Top Bottom