Spokesman-Recorder: Allina Starr's Senior Night Disappointment

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://spokesman-recorder.com/2017/03/08/gopher-senior-night-disappoints-mpls-native-player-family/

One of this season's mysteries:

Senior night is a time-honored tradition in sport. It’s the player’s final home game of their career, and parents, friends, and other well-wishers are on-hand to honor them. Sometimes, a player that is a non-starter gets the starting nod as a symbolic gesture.

Four players were so honored at Williams Arena Feb. 23 prior to the Gophers-Purdue women’s basketball game. Allina Starr was the only Minneapolis native among the four seniors.

But once the game began, Starr sat for all but one minute of the 40-minute contest. I have known her since she was a pre-teen. I have known her father even longer. We talked to both of them afterwards.

“I’m frustrated,” admitted Allina. Her sad face spoke volumes. “That wasn’t easy,” added her father Alan Starr from his arena seat. With other family members nearby, he chose his words carefully rather than fully disclose the hurt feelings he shared with his daughter — the hurt of disappointment.

“I don’t have any regrets or bad thoughts. The coaching staff worked with her and gave her an opportunity,” he said...

...Maybe this isn’t a big deal? After all, Allina graduated with her degree in December and is taking graduate classes. “That’s all that matters,” she told us with the same painful expression on her face. “It hasn’t hit me yet.”

The 5’-10” guard originally attended Auburn before transferring to Minnesota after her freshman season. After sitting out because of NCAA transfer rules, Starr started 17 of 21 games last season.

This season, however, she only started two, has four DNPs (did not play), and only one game where she has logged double-digit minutes (14 minutes against Wisconsin January 7).

Coaches told us before the season they were high on Allina, but from our vantage point sitting across from the Minnesota bench in media row, that high seems to have plunged to freezing cold.

“I’ve never been this disappointed,” said Allina. Her father seemed to try his best to remain positive, however. “It’s on to the next chapter,” he said. “It was good to see her at home.”...

...There is a possibility of Allina playing a fifth year, if approved by the NCAA. With her emotions still raw, when asked if that possibility presented itself would she play in a Gopher uniform, she replied, “Probably not. I obviously will have to go somewhere else.”

“She could get another look and start off somewhere new,” her father said, seemingly optimistic. But the pain in his face said otherwise.

I thought it was odd Allina wasn't playing this year....she seemed really good and aggressive on defense last year. But even she seems confused on the lack of playing time. Hopefully she can go somewhere new so she can play as a 5th year!

This goes back to the mind-boggling allocation of minutes by Stollings throughout the year. I understand that Tinjum was able to do some things that Starr couldn't but I thought that Tinjum/Hedstrom/Starr would share minutes during the season. The disproportionate minutes given to Hedstrom are most boggling to me...nothing against Hedstrom, but ability-wise she never should have received the minutes she got. There were at least a couple of times this year when Starr came into games, made an early mistake , and was immediately taken out of the game. Although I don't mind sitting players for repeated mistakes, I've never liked the idea of yanking them off the floor immediately after their first mistake. Last year, I thought Starr gave the Gophers some good energy off the bench. She really wasn't someone who fit well at the 4 position, but she certainly could have played more than she did. I felt similarly with Barnes at the post. Although I understand that she didn't deserve to be ahead of Bello, Edwards and Fernstrom on the depth chart, but I think she ended up with fewer minutes than Lamke. I realize that Lamke has always exhibited a positive and energetic attitude, but why was Barnes totally "Missing in Action". It's my feeling that Stollings should stop bringing in transfers or that she doesn't intend to use. That's not good for the program...or the player.

I wondered about Starr, and assumed she was not healthy once I noticed she hardly ever played. I can understand playing #5 the twin from Michigan, and the International player from Hungary, but Starr not played made not sense. Not offense the Hedstrom, but she did not belong in the Big Ten, maybe a star at SDSU or ND, but not a Big Ten player.

If this were my team, I would have played the #5, Bell, #33, one of the posts and Starr 90 percent of the time. I'd fill in Buford and other guards as needed, but this rotation was very suspect.

I wondered about Starr, and assumed she was not healthy once I noticed she hardly ever played. I can understand playing #5 the twin from Michigan, and the International player from Hungary, but Starr not played made not sense. Not offense the Hedstrom, but she did not belong in the Big Ten, maybe a star at SDSU or ND, but not a Big Ten player.

If this were my team, I would have played the #5, Bell, #33, one of the posts and Starr 90 percent of the time. I'd fill in Buford and other guards as needed, but this rotation was very suspect.
It would REALLY be suspect with Buford in the line-up. Used up her eligibility several seasons ago.

Top Bottom