Gophers reporting minor NCAA violation but ‘not recruiting Western Michigan students’

I always wondered if Brewster ever self reported any NCAA violations for cooking his Chili too hot for players. You know how dangerous that is?! Won't someone think of the players?!

Not sure if it was for molten lava hot chili, but Brewster did self report violations in the recruitment of Seantrel Henderson. So did Ohio St.

Shannon Brooks was injured early last season and his carries were down quite a bit from the previous year. What if Wisconsin started talking to him mid year last year or even at the end of the year and wanted him to transfer to be their feature back in two years. Would we all be ok with that contact from Wisc?

Why would he do that? Lose a year? And if his carries are way down why would we care if he was passed up? We shouldn't own these guys once they sigh an NLI. Like a marriage, always be recruiting.

Please stop using an integral part of this forum to respond to this one user I don't like so that I don't have to see his posts in your responses to him, k thx bai. -highwayman

Couldn't you, ya know, just not read the posts that he's quoted in? Seems pretty easy to me, or can you not help yourself? Its not other user's problem, nor their job, to prevent you from reading something you don't want to.

On another note, does anyone know that this minor violation is related to football in any way?

It was just a suggestion. Eventually, he'll get himself banned. These guys can't help but expose themselves.

I care a lot about this program. There are plenty of trolls like that tool that are only here to try to destroy it, especially from within. Don't help them.

It was just a suggestion. Eventually, he'll get himself banned. These guys can't help but expose themselves.

I care a lot about this program. There are plenty of trolls like that tool that are only here to try to destroy it, especially from within. Don't help them.

I know the guy in person, you couldn't be further from the mark, but believe what you want and fight who you want, just don't expect the rest of us who enjoy interacting with that user to stop.

I don't get why everyone insists that every person who disagrees with them is a troll. Its really quite annoying. Just disagree and move on like the adults you are.

Why would he do that? Lose a year? And if his carries are way down why would we care if he was passed up? We shouldn't own these guys once they sigh an NLI. Like a marriage, always be recruiting.

Not saying he would even consider it. Just putting out a hypothetical.
Chose Shannon, because he has a redshirt year left. He could leave now, sit out a year and still have two years to play. If he were to be offered the feature back status at some other school and not have to share the carries with Rodney AND the school that was offering him this did so while he was still enrolled in school here, I think many on here would be up in arms over some other program (used Wisconsin as an example) taking one of our players.
If after the spring, Shannon announced he was transferring and got his release then went out and looked for a school, I would have no problem with it.

Not saying he would even consider it. Just putting out a hypothetical.
Chose Shannon, because he has a redshirt year left. He could leave now, sit out a year and still have two years to play. If he were to be offered the feature back status at some other school and not have to share the carries with Rodney AND the school that was offering him this did so while he was still enrolled in school here, I think many on here would be up in arms over some other program (used Wisconsin as an example) taking one of our players.
If after the spring, Shannon announced he was transferring and got his release then went out and looked for a school, I would have no problem with it.

It's a reasonable point (other than he'd have to sit out two years to transfer in conference, but we can ignore that for the sake of argument). On the same sense, if one of the players contacted Jerry Kill to discuss that they aren't on board with Row the Boat and don't know if they should transfer, I have no issue with that. That to me is where the difference is. These aren't random players at other schools that he had no relationship with. These are guys that he was helping mold into men. To say the day he accepted the job at Minnesota he can no longer even talk to his former players is crazy to me. Again, I have no issue forbidding them from transferring here. But I just think it's ridiculous to prevent any contact between them.

That said, while I think this rule is dumb and I highly doubt there will be any punishment, I'm a little disappointed because he should have known better. Again, in the grand scheme of things this is the most minor ridiculous violation, but he still shouldn't have done it.

One question I have is this - how did everyone know Russell Wilson was transferring to Wisconsin before he was granted a release from NC State? He would not have been able to contact them, yet it was widely reported. Did his parents approach Wisconsin? Is that legal?

It's a reasonable point (other than he'd have to sit out two years to transfer in conference, but we can ignore that for the sake of argument). On the same sense, if one of the players contacted Jerry Kill to discuss that they aren't on board with Row the Boat and don't know if they should transfer, I have no issue with that. That to me is where the difference is. These aren't random players at other schools that he had no relationship with. These are guys that he was helping mold into men. To say the day he accepted the job at Minnesota he can no longer even talk to his former players is crazy to me. Again, I have no issue forbidding them from transferring here. But I just think it's ridiculous to prevent any contact between them.

That said, while I think this rule is dumb and I highly doubt there will be any punishment, I'm a little disappointed because he should have known better. Again, in the grand scheme of things this is the most minor ridiculous violation, but he still shouldn't have done it.

One question I have is this - how did everyone know Russell Wilson was transferring to Wisconsin before he was granted a release from NC State? He would not have been able to contact them, yet it was widely reported. Did his parents approach Wisconsin? Is that legal?

I don't think they did.

I agree it's ridiculous to prevent any contact. If a coach wants to wish a former player happy birthday, that should be ok. When it comes to a player thinking of transferring, then contact shouldn't happen until after the release OR the coach should get permission from the school prior to having a discussion with that former player.
PJF should have known the rules and followed them. The fact that he didn't either know them or didn't follow is troubling either way.

I agree it's ridiculous to prevent any contact. If a coach wants to wish a former player happy birthday, that should be ok. When it comes to a player thinking of transferring, then contact shouldn't happen until after the release OR the coach should get permission from the school prior to having a discussion with that former player.
PJF should have known the rules and followed them. The fact that he didn't either know them or didn't follow is troubling either way.

I agree with you on your main point (your last sentence). However, I don't think it's a fair rule. We are used to it, so it seems normal. However, it only exists in the strange world of NCAA athletics.

If I was on an academic scholarship, I was a chemistry wiz and I wanted to switch schools (I thought one was a better fit), I could certainly contact that other school and inquire about their programs. Let's say that I used to work with a professor at a different school, he/she could certainly contact me.

I don't know if anyone's speculated on this yet, but if we self-reported a violation does this lower our chances that Spillane will come here (for fear of it looking suspicious)?

I don't know if anyone's speculated on this yet, but if we self-reported a violation does this lower our chances that Spillane will come here (for fear of it looking suspicious)?

He's not coming here.

The article writes a sentence that says Spillane is not coming here. It's not a quote from Spillane, Fleck, or anyone at WMU.
To me that is the writer speculating.
I highly doubt he is coming here now, but it is not a stretch to think he wanted to come here and would have if the incident wouldn't have been made so public.

Difference with a chemistry major and an athlete is the athlete is then taking part in an activity that is competing on the field/court against other schools.
A student on an athletic scholarship should be able to look for greener pastures if they are not liking the situation at their current school. I just think they should get a release from that scholarship before they are allowed to contact other schools and it should never be ok for other programs to contact an athlete about transferring, unless a release has been granted OR they get permission from the school first to talk to the athlete.

The article writes a sentence that says Spillane is not coming here. It's not a quote from Spillane, Fleck, or anyone at WMU.
To me that is the writer speculating.
I highly doubt he is coming here now, but it is not a stretch to think he wanted to come here and would have if the incident wouldn't have been made so public.

There are only two people who know what was said, and that's Spillane and Fleck. Fleck has said he was not trying to recruit Spillane and Spillane has said his transfer had nothing to do with Minnesota. Anyone reporting anything about this can only speculate based on those statements, unless some hanger on says that Spillane told them something one way or the other or they had a wire tap (looking your way, NSA!!! :)).

Unless one or both comes out and said "Yes, we were talking about reuniting in MN" there will never be anything other than speculation (assuming neither would have a reason to lie that direction), simply because the opposite is plausible and seems potentially advantageous to both and what they are saying is exactly what you would say to cover that up.

I personally don't believe that Fleck would try to recruit Spillane here (I'd hope he knows NCAA rules well enough to understand how serious that would be). I wouldn't be surprised at all if Spillane called Fleck to ask for advice about transferring. Whether that was based around him wanting to transfer here or whether that was based around just not wanting to stay at WMU is something that we'll probably never know.

The U says its guiding principles for the Athletics Department are "Action, Integrity, Transparency, Humility, and Innovation." Where has the transparency been on the details of this minor, self-reported violation? This guiding principle seems to have given very little guidance. Maybe this is because the Athletics Department interprets "transparency" as "blue-collar work ethic and sound fiscal management" (see docket materials for February 10, 2017, Board of Regents meeting), which isn't how most dictionaries define that word. If the specifics would violate the privacy of one or more student-athletes, surely the details could be given without using names. And this wasn't a "happy birthday" greeting, as several people on this thread have assumed by misreading the Pioneer Press article. That was merely Mark Coyle giving an example of how strict -- and maybe silly -- he thought NCAA rules could be.

Top Bottom