Gophers reporting minor NCAA violation but ‘not recruiting Western Michigan students’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

The University of Minnesota will self-report a minor NCAA violation, but the school is not recruiting Western Michigan football players, athletics director Mark Coyle said Tuesday.

Anonymous sources told the Detroit News this month that Minnesota might be recruiting current players at Western Michigan, where Fleck was head coach until accepting a five-year, $18 million contract to coach the Gophers on Jan. 6.

Under NCAA rules, contact between a coach and a student-athlete on scholarship at another school, even of a personal nature, is prohibited.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/0...but-not-recruiting-western-michigan-students/

Go Gophers!!

When I saw the title to this thread, I immediately wondered if Sh*tley was reporting this, and ... yup. He's the new Myron.

When I saw the title to this thread, I immediately wondered if Sh*tley was reporting this, and ... yup. He's the new Myron.

The Pioneer Press... always been a JV paper to the STrib and that's saying something considering what a hot piece of garbage that paper is as well.

I agree he's a tool for a reporter, but nobody has any concern it has happened in Fleck's first couple months, however minor it seems?

I agree he's a tool for a reporter, but nobody has any concern it has happened in Fleck's first couple months, however minor it seems?

Nope. Not one tiny bit of concern in my entire body.

Next thing you know he'll be giving cars to players and receuits.

What's concerning? Pretty sure a former player contacted him and he responded before he got his release. Oh well

All the posts gushing and fawning over the new culture and how Fleck is doing fabulous things to develop these guys into outstanding men and he couldn't figure out a way to let this player know the contact would be a violation? Really? C'mon, he's a smart guy.

What's concerning? <b>Pretty sure a former player contacted him and he responded before he got his release.</b> Oh well

Pretty sure you have zero idea who contacted who first and are simply stating wishful thinking. Very sure in fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the posts gushing and fawning over the new culture and how Fleck is doing fabulous things to develop these guys into outstanding men and he couldn't figure out a way to let this player know the contact would be a violation? Really? C'mon, he's a smart guy.

Letting him know that would be a violation. You worried he's going to start paying players?

Letting him know that would be a violation. You worried he's going to start paying players?

I don't even know what this comment is supposed to mean. Fleck knew it would be a violation, however minor to have the contact, but he did it anyway?

Pretty sure you have zero idea who contacted who first and are simply stating wishful thinking. Very sure in fact.

I mean it's a pretty logical conclusion unless you think he's contacting some of his former players to come here.

I don't even know what this comment is supposed to mean. Fleck knew it would be a violation, however minor to have the contact, but he did it anyway?

What don't you understand about my comment?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...orts-fleck-violation-wmu-ready-move/98887370/

Coyle told Minneapolis reporters earlier Tuesday that the university was going to self-report a "minor" NCAA rules infraction. Fleck did have contact with at least two of his former Western Michigan players, though the contact was believed to have been conversational.

He wished one a "happy birthday" via text message, though that isn't even allowed. The NCAA prohibits any contact between a coach from one school and an enrolled athlete at another school without written approval the home school of the athlete.

If Spillane left WMU with the intent of coming here, I feel bad for him. I'm guessing we wouldn't take him now due to the scrutiny that would come along with that.

What is the record for days as coach before your first NCAA violation? Is that part of culture change too?

Pretty tough situation. It's very difficult not to talk to guys you basically lived with, fought with, cried with, for two, three, four years. Especially if you think you can help them. Yes, or wish somebody a happy birthday.
It's hard not to care about those guys!!
Sad too for Spillane if he was intending to come here. Gotta give PJ some grace on this one.

I think the more interesting part of the article is how massive numbers of players have transferred after the firing of Claeys. Very worried if they'll even be able to field a team. Just a mess. Oh wait...never mind.

Please stop quoting Pre Menstrual Woman inSTP in your responses. Quoting them allows us to still read their comments, as asinine and stupid as they are.

There's a reason they are on my blocked list. You should do it too.

Please stop quoting Pre Menstrual Woman inSTP in your responses. Quoting them allows us to still read their comments, as asinine and stupid as they are.

Yep. He or she as it may be certainly has an obvious agenda.

Bump

I think the more interesting part of the article is how massive numbers of players have transferred after the firing of Claeys. Very worried if they'll even be able to field a team. Just a mess. Oh wait...never mind.

Doesn't have anything to do with the thread, but it doesn't seem to stop you.

How ingenious. Looks like highwayman stopped maturing, what, a year or two after hitting puberty?

The Pioneer Press... always been a JV paper to the STrib and that's saying something considering what a hot piece of garbage that paper is as well.
Reporting of a violation is news, sorry it upsets you but I can't think of a reason why the local media wouldn't report on it.

Yep. He or she as it may be certainly has an obvious agenda.

He hasn't said anything that outrageous. He simply asked if a coach having a minor NCAA violation in his first month of work concerns anyone. How is that agenda driven?

He isn't making up the scenario that went down to fit his narrative. (see Johnnyboy)
He isn't making a red herring argument (are you saying he is going to pay players). (see Johnnyboy)

He simply asked a question about the facts that we KNOW. The U is reporting a minor recruiting violation because of PJ Fleck's contact with his former WMU players, does that concern anyone? It does imply that Fleck either didn't know about the rule or he didn't care about the rule. I don't think anyone on this board was pretending that it was a huge deal, but maybe a little concerning? For month 1 of a coaching tenure?

The real strange thing (to me) about this thread is that you have the Pioneer Press with a small story about the violation (even allowed Coyle to give our side of the story) and a poster simply ask if a violation is a concern and the board's reaction is like this? Why would the Pioneer Press report this? Because it's news. Someone obviously has an agenda for simply asking the question? D'ok.

Do people realize that you can like PJ but not agree with every single one of his actions? Like, you can say "I think the earbud rule is silly" and still support PJ. You can say "he should have called that recruit before pulling the scholarship" and still like PJ. You can say "a minor recruiting violation in month 1 bugs me" and still like PJ.

This rule is really stupid as applied here. If you take it to its logical extreme, a coach could be cited for shaking hands and talking to a player after a game. Is Pat Fitzgerald going to have to report a minor violation for shaking hands and saying "good game" to Mitch Leidner after we beat them last fall? I am quite certain that he didn't seek written permission from the University of Minnesota before he did that.

All NCAA rules are insanity built on insanity....

This rule is really stupid as applied here. If you take it to its logical extreme, a coach could be cited for shaking hands and talking to a player after a game. Is Pat Fitzgerald going to have to report a minor violation for shaking hands and saying "good game" to Mitch Leidner after we beat them last fall? I am quite certain that he didn't seek written permission from the University of Minnesota before he did that.

I'm not sure if the program will be able to recover after this monumental setback. I just hope the Gophers can sign five kids for the 2017 class!

Top Bottom