All Things 2017 Gophers Spring Football Elite Thread (Tweets, Links, Analysis & More)

I love the way Fleck addressed the question about axe tough. Once you have the talent it's a mental attitude and belief. Seems to be hinting at the belief side and the our will will be stronger than your will. Instead of playing Wisconsin waiting to lose, I think his teams will go for broke. Can't wait to see this guy coach Minnesota during games!!!

Like too, how he sees the lack of command in the offense, particularly compared to the defense. I think he would of said the same thing had Leidner been in camp. I think he'll build an offense with the mentality that our defense had. Belief, confidence, and decisiveness. May take him 2-3 years to do it due to a lack of talented lineman. I think his offenses will play faster and with much more confidence and decisiveness than Kill's and Claeys'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. All this would be so welcomed.

I love the way Fleck addressed the question about axe tough. Once you have the talent it's a mental attitude and belief. Seems to be hinting at the belief side and the our will will be stronger than your will. Instead of playing Wisconsin waiting to lose, I think his teams will go for broke. Can't wait to see this guy coach Minnesota during games!!!

Like too, how he sees the lack of command in the offense, particularly compared to the defense. I think he would of said the same thing had Leidner been in camp. I think he'll build an offense with the mentality that our defense had. Belief, confidence, and decisiveness. May take him 2-3 years to do it due to a lack of talented lineman. I think his offenses will play faster and with much more confidence and decisiveness than Kill's and Claeys'.

Maybe, but his WMU team only averaged 3 more plays per game than the Gophs, so I would be surprised.

It also does not surprise me that 5 practices into Spring he is focused on the offense and its progress. It's been a challenge in the past as well, plus he is an offensively minded HC. I really don't have that much of a concern that the offensive players will pick up the new schemes by the end of Spring and be solid in the Fall practices.

Anyone going to the practice today?

Maybe, but his WMU team only averaged 3 more plays per game than the Gophs, so I would be surprised.

It also does not surprise me that 5 practices into Spring he is focused on the offense and its progress. It's been a challenge in the past as well, plus he is an offensively minded HC. I really don't have that much of a concern that the offensive players will pick up the new schemes by the end of Spring and be solid in the Fall practices.

Add to that WMU TOP averaged 3 minutes more than Gophs, and I would expect the offense's pace to be essentially the same.

Can't make the practice today, so I hope those who can will post some (golden) nuggets on who looks good at different positions. Hard to wait for spring game to see how things are shaping up!

Can't make the practice today, so I hope those who can will post some (golden) nuggets on who looks good at different positions. Hard to wait for spring game to see how things are shaping up!

Same here

I'll be there but I'm not sure what to look for other than the QB battle and the offensive line. Anything else I should be looking out for?

I'm not all that knowledgeable about football but I'll try to post some of my observations here.

Wide receivers, defensive backs, and how many linebackers are on the field on a given play (3,4,5)

Nice video. Great highlights...Devers in coverage, Still grabbing a deep ball.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dO6wI-uYvuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting. I'm curious what he's going to do.

Who was the DB with an INT - Calvin Swenson? I swear this is the first time I've ever heard the name. I see on the roster he's from Wisconsin. Is he a scholarship player or a walk-on?

Other thought - Tyler Johnson could be a good fit for Fleck's offense. Would be fun to see them hit him with a lot of quick slants and see what he could do in space. That was one of his strengths in HS - maneuvering in traffic.

I'm excited to see TJ6 this year. Word from PJF and a couple media folks is that he has really stood out this Spring. Awesome!

Who was the DB with an INT - Calvin Swenson? I swear this is the first time I've ever heard the name. I see on the roster he's from Wisconsin. Is he a scholarship player or a walk-on?

Other thought - Tyler Johnson could be a good fit for Fleck's offense. Would be fun to see them hit him with a lot of quick slants and see what he could do in space. That was one of his strengths in HS - maneuvering in traffic.

Little birdie tells me Carpenter struggles when water is sprayed on him...thinks we may have competition at punter...Lot of loud noises...No comment on Heather...Tanner Morgan number 4 arm...Croft looks smooth...he said pace of practice isnt that much faster...coaches run around more...yell more...more loud music...PJ stops everything so he can spray water on kicker...Mike Grant in the house...Connelly looks like filling frame out nicely...Olson looks like he can play center...Hmielewski thick, stocky...not long....dropped a couple...

Little birdie tells me Carpenter struggles when water is sprayed on him...thinks we may have competition at punter...Lot of loud noises...No comment on Heather...Tanner Morgan number 4 arm...Croft looks smooth...he said pace of practice isnt that much faster...coaches run around more...yell more...more loud music...PJ stops everything so he can spray water on kicker...Mike Grant in the house...Connelly looks like filling frame out nicely...Olson looks like he can play center...Hmielewski thick, stocky...not long....dropped a couple...

Thanks Swingman. Couldn't make it and looking forward to posts like yours. I do hope someone will comment on Heather tho.

Thanks Swingman. Couldn't make it and looking forward to posts like yours. I do hope someone will comment on Heather tho.

I love having access to practice and hope it continues. Thus I think we should follow the rules. So the rule says, "no posting comments re practice info (specific players, plays, injuries etc.) on the internet or any social media.

I know, I'm a dick and I used to be a hall monitor

Tanner Morgan didn't seem too accurate. Croft and Rhoda did. Looks like the competition is cut down to 4. They had more offensive linemen practicing than I would have thought but didn't do much with 2 lines going at once. Punt returning seems like it could be a problem again this year. Lots of focus on avoiding and recovering fumbles. Winfield Jr. looked really good. Lots of attention to fine details, effort, and mental things - Fleck didn't seemed too concerned about drops or lapses in coverage but did about small mental things. There was a clear way they were trying to teach everyone to play football, and I can see why some players didn't want to play for him.

I love having access to practice and hope it continues. Thus I think we should follow the rules. So the rule says, "no posting comments re practice info (specific players, plays, injuries etc.) on the internet or any social media.

I know, <b>I'm a dick </b>and I used to be a hall monitor

You said it, not me.

Also, I don't think the U has issues with "Guy 1 looked good". "Guy 2 didn't". QB1 is inaccurate". "WR4 dropped passes", etc. Just use common sense. They only do certain things at open practices anyway.

I learned a new Fleckism at practice today, he was yelling for the DBs and LBs to have their "knuckles on the ground" when going after fumbles.

Met Demry Croft's dad there, nice guy (secretly rooting for lots of playing time for #11 now).

Was there a scrimmage? Curious to hear who was starting at CB and DE.

I learned a new Fleckism at practice today, he was yelling for the DBs and LBs to have their "knuckles on the ground" when going after fumbles.

Met Demry Croft's dad there, nice guy (secretly rooting for lots of playing time for #11 now).

DC11

D Croft is also my favorite QB on this team, hope he wins starting spot...

By fast, I didn't mean number of plays, I just meant that the offense would be more in sync and guys would be faster in what they are doing. Probably didn't use the right word there.

Top Bottom