All Things 2017 Gophers Spring Football Elite Thread (Tweets, Links, Analysis & More)

Can pick your seat, they'll give you a roster to know who is who, they open up a few concessions stands. To me, the worst thing has been the crappy music that they play throughout the scrimmage. I expect that Fleck will continue this tradition because the players apparently like it. It would be cool to have the band come and make it feel more like a college game day atmosphere.

The band was there last year when it was set up as more of a game type spring game instead of O vs D. Hard to get the whole band there because in the spring the members are more likely to have things going on since athletics doesn't tell us if they want us there until a few weeks beforehand. Current plan is to get a pepband sized group there this year (40-50 people) but nothing has been finalized as far as I know.

Hard to say with the depleted OL. Doubt it will be a "typical" spring game- then again seems spring game styles change for lots of reasons including a new coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illini are so depleted they're just doing an open practice instead of a Spring Game, so sounds like we'll be closer to game play than at least one other B1G West team.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Former Gopher Chris Hawthorne chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Spring practice full speed ahead for P.J. Fleck, Gophers football team

Electrified after watching a Tai’yon Devers sack during Tuesday’s practice, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck hustled over for a hug, leaping high into Devers’ arms.

An hour earlier, the 36-year-old Fleck had challenged linebacker Everett Williams to a foot race. They finished the sprint and did an up-down, each jogging in place and dropping his chest to the ground, as the rest of the team howled with cheers.

It was the Gophers’ third spring practice under Fleck, the first that was open to the media, and Fleck’s everyday exuberance was on full display.

“If I don’t have the energy, how can they bring the energy?” Fleck said.

Never mind the chilly conditions. It was 34 degrees — 25 with the windchill — and Fleck happily held the two-hour practice outdoors.

“First of all, it’s sunny,” Fleck said. “We are in Minnesota, and it’s in March, and it’s above 30 degrees — you bet we are outside. It was a beautiful day. That is football weather right there.”

Fleck zipped around the field, literally sprinting between drills, wearing a maroon zip-up top, black sweats tapered toward the ankles, and white shoes with black laces.

Music pumped through the speakers throughout practice, with a mix of hip-hop and heavy metal. Fleck has a wireless microphone, so he can preach his mantras to players at any moment.

At one point, Fleck had seen one too many dropped balls. AC/DC’s “Back in Black” faded briefly, while he bellowed, “The ball is the program! The ball is the program!”

http://www.startribune.com/spring-p...or-p-j-fleck-gophers-football-team/416785864/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

So who are the 5 healthy o-linemen?

Go Gophers!!

Gophers’ QB battle has one fewer player, - TwinCities.com

Freshman quarterback Mark Williams is exploring a position switch and will try out at wide receiver, cornerback and safety during spring practices, coach P.J. Fleck said. Williams also practiced at wideout during his redshirt year in 2016.

“Right now, I feel like he’s best suited at those spots,” Fleck said. “If I feel like we have to move him back to quarterback, we will. But I feel like we are far enough along at quarterback and have some depth there.”...

“First of all, it’s an honor,” Fleck said. “That is Rich Gannon. … We were actually talking back there about some of our quarterbacks. He goes, ‘That guy reminds me of me. You know why? Because all I did was manage the offense and threw to the right people and made people around me better. You don’t have to have this big arm, you don’t have to have this stylish thing. You just have to be efficient. You have to make decisive decisions.’ And that’s what Rich was all about.”

Which quarterback was Gannon referring to: Conor Rhoda, Demry Croft, Tanner Morgan, Seth Green, Neil McLaurin?

“One of them,” Fleck responded. “He was talking about one of them.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/2...former-pro-bowler-watching-it/?obref=obinsite

Freshman quarterback Mark Williams is exploring a position switch and will try out at wide receiver, cornerback and safety during spring practices, coach P.J. Fleck said. Williams also practiced at wideout during his redshirt year in 2016.

“Right now, I feel like he’s best suited at those spots,” Fleck said. “If I feel like we have to move him back to quarterback, we will. But I feel like we are far enough along at quarterback and have some depth there.”...

“First of all, it’s an honor,” Fleck said. “That is Rich Gannon. … We were actually talking back there about some of our quarterbacks. He goes, ‘That guy reminds me of me. You know why? Because all I did was manage the offense and threw to the right people and made people around me better. You don’t have to have this big arm, you don’t have to have this stylish thing. You just have to be efficient. You have to make decisive decisions.’ And that’s what Rich was all about.”

Which quarterback was Gannon referring to: Conor Rhoda, Demry Croft, Tanner Morgan, Seth Green, Neil McLaurin?

“One of them,” Fleck responded. “He was talking about one of them.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/2...former-pro-bowler-watching-it/?obref=obinsite

Personally like that Fleck isn't saying which guy is getting the praise. Is keeping it under wraps, let the guy fully earn the spot, and keep pressure down on that player.

Dear PJ, I have one request.

Please open a Saturday practice up to the public.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bn29mkDNYuY?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZH6r6D92w2Y?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Interviews with Fleck and Rhoda

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr. recently rejoined the Gophers and impressed coach P.J. Fleck on Saturday after a two-hour practice. “He’s been leading our secondary,” Fleck said. “He hasn’t been out here that long obviously—but, man, did he take over our defense today. Very proud of him. I love his how, I love his effort. He shows incredible leadership out there. You can tell that young man loves to play the game. …”

Fleck has several candidates for the starting quarterback position. He is looking for a starter who is going to “command the team on offense,” and make decisive and exceptional decisions.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I love the way Fleck addressed the question about axe tough. Once you have the talent it's a mental attitude and belief. Seems to be hinting at the belief side and the our will will be stronger than your will. Instead of playing Wisconsin waiting to lose, I think his teams will go for broke. Can't wait to see this guy coach Minnesota during games!!!

Like too, how he sees the lack of command in the offense, particularly compared to the defense. I think he would of said the same thing had Leidner been in camp. I think he'll build an offense with the mentality that our defense had. Belief, confidence, and decisiveness. May take him 2-3 years to do it due to a lack of talented lineman. I think his offenses will play faster and with much more confidence and decisiveness than Kill's and Claeys'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom