All Things 2017 Gophers Spring Football Elite Thread (Tweets, Links, Analysis & More)

I should add I hope Ciarroccas offense is ready for the big time. Despite a month to prepare and a roster peppered with NFL players they put up 280 yards on Wisconsin. That's 6 yards less than we did. Maybe incorporating some spread-scheme power, counter, reverse option, etc wouldn't be a bad idea.

A valid point, although one of the best defenses in the Big Ten had a month to prepare for WMU as well.

Hard to draw much from bowl games in general, but I get where you're going

What is your point? Wisconsin had a month to prepare for stopping WMU's offense also. Wisconsin only needed one half of one game to figure out how to stop us. I could claim that Ciarroccas did better since his QB didn't throw 4 picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My point was simply despite being a pretty good offense (35th by S&P+) they didn't fare very well vs our most important rival. I'd have liked to see them do a little better considering that type of system usually has a schematic advantage over defenses despite a talent deficit.. Then again, WI has been pretty darn good on defense (blech).

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually excited about the new system due to the RPO aspect. I think I will miss the power game, properly implemented. With the right and more talented players I'm hopeful.

Neither MN or WMU had a banner day vs WI. WMU was (by their standard) relatively shut down despite having some draft prospects and a good but physically limited college QB. Our offense, well they didn't have a great season and Mitch had a historic second-half collapse leading to the victory slipping away. Bad QB play, line blocking, lack of playmakers (no Lingen) downfield conspired to ruin the day.

Those of you who were there... any thoughts on Seth Green? Ominously silent on him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point was simply despite being a pretty good offense (35th by S&P+) they didn't fare very well vs our most important rival. I'd have liked to see them do a little better considering that type of system usually has a schematic advantage over defenses despite a talent deficit.. Then again, WI has been pretty darn good on defense (blech).

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually excited about the new system due to the RPO aspect. I think I will miss the power game, properly implemented. With the right and more talented players I'm hopeful.

Neither MN or WMU had a banner day vs WI. WMU was (by their standard) relatively shut down despite having some draft prospects and a good but physically limited college QB. Our offense, well they didn't have a great season and Mitch had a historic second-half collapse leading to the victory slipping away. Bad QB play, line blocking, lack of playmakers (no Lingen) downfield conspired to ruin the day.

Must nearly be the worst 2nd half in collegiate history. I'm sure someone was worse, but it's embarrassing to even have to look.

Must nearly be the worst 2nd half in collegiate history. I'm sure someone was worse, but it's embarrassing to even have to look.

2003 collapse to Michigan was worse as a loss and reversed the program's momentum. I'd also rank 2005 Bucky loss above last year's.

2003 collapse to Michigan was worse as a loss and reversed the program's momentum. I'd also rank 2005 Bucky loss above last year's.

Only one of those games ever happened.

2003 collapse too painful?

If it would have actually happened I would say it was the bottom of the bottom. But since it didn't I know of no reason to speak of it.

If it would have actually happened I would say it was the bottom of the bottom. But since it didn't I know of no reason to speak of it.

???

To be honest, if we didn't have a threat to run (using a Tight End) we weren't moving the ball. 4 receivers would only be more to confuse Mitch.

Or one less blocker so Mitch could spend more time eating fake dirt.

Green

Those of you who were there... any thoughts on Seth Green? Ominously silent on him...

I think all signs point to being entrenched at number four, at the present. Roles can change.

People come to this thread for updates on this spring practice. If you would like to discuss the 2003 Michigan game or other non-spring practice topics, we encourage you to start a new thread. Posts way off-topic from spring ball will be deleted from this thread.

SG looks the part. Much more so than TM. He did bounce a 15 yard pass in warm-up drills, though (I know, meaningless)...

That makes sense. Good thinking.

Why do you think Gobie, Burns, etc are able to post all sorts of camp observations? Have they lost access?

Give me a reason it would make one iota of difference to post opinions and observations of the different QBs, for example. One reason is all I ask. Challenge assumptions. The calls, signals, starters, injuries, will be kept under wraps by the staff leading up to game 1. You're not going to find any useful information for Chryst.

Why do you think Gobie, Burns, etc are able to post all sorts of camp observations? Have they lost access?

Give me a reason it would make one iota of difference to post opinions and observations of the different QBs, for example. One reason is all I ask. Challenge assumptions. The calls, signals, starters, injuries, will be kept under wraps by the staff leading up to game 1. You're not going to find any useful information for Chryst.

Dude...you won the argument. You are beating a dead Bronco

per Greder:

SCRIMMAGE TWEAKS

The Gophers will scrimmage Saturday, but with only five healthy offensive lineman, head coach P.J. Fleck said the format and number of plays will be tweaked. He said they’ll likely alternate between individual drills and team reps in an attempt to keep players fresh.

“We have five linemen, so to be able to think we are going to run a 90-play scrimmage is almost impossible,” Fleck said. “I want quality, not just quantity. We are going to do it very creatively.”

Fleck estimates they will run about 40-50 plays Saturday at the football complex.

With six practices remaining until the April 15 spring game at TCF Bank Stadium, Fleck said the health of the offensive line will determine if further alterations to that scrimmage format will take place then.

“If we somehow get to four, it will be way different,” Fleck said. “It just may be an organized chaotic practice that everybody gets to watch. I just don’t know yet. Right now as it stands, we are going to scrimmage.”

NO CARRY-OVER INJURIES

No Gophers sitting out spring practices with injuries should be limited at the start of fall training camp in August.

“I expect all of them to be back,” Fleck said. “Some of them could be back toward the end of spring, but I’m going to probably hold them out just because I don’t want their first experience to be the last two practices of spring ball. It’s not worth it to me.”

That recovery timeline includes cornerback Coney Durr, who tore an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during the 17-12 win over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.

“Trust me, they get back from ACL’s faster than back in your day and my day,” Fleck said. “They come back a lot faster, so he’s right on track to be here by about training camp.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/30/gophers-receive-commitment-from-ohio-offensive-lineman/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for clarifying PE. I agree with all, you have stated

Despite Spoofin labelling me a Fleckster, I think clays got a raw deal. I liked him as a coach, but understand why he was let go. I enjoyed the era of Kill/Claeys, but knew Tracy's fate was sealed on the Friday after the opener. when the incident was allowed to fester, it was more obvious in my opinion. The AD did him no favors, but the boycott was the final nail in the coffin.

I. Am excited to see the spring practice reports and look forward to the Fall opener as always.

Ps. Is being labeled by Spoofin a "Fleckster" a badge of honor or a scourge to never-ending damnation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's a really bad idea to rush ACLs back. Let the kid heal.

"Return to sport is a very difficult topic in this patient population. There is no clear cut answer. Despite some success in early return to sport, most surgeons if questioned either privately or on the podium at a meeting, will admit that there is some increased risk returning to a Level I sport before 9-12 months. In my opinion, many studies support this. "

http://www.howardluksmd.com/orthope...s-acl-reconstruction-5-professional-opinions/

The Sat. practice isn't open to the public is it?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

A good interview from yesterday. Even got in an April Fools Joke to DT Merrick Jackson.:clap:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom