All Things 2017 Gophers Spring Football Elite Thread (Tweets, Links, Analysis & More)

Was it just me, or does it look like Tanner is MAYBE 6 feet (not 6'2" as listed). Demry and Conor looked to tower over him side-by-side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Joe:

Big crowd at practice

About 500 people attended Tuesday's practice, the first one open to the public this spring. The Gophers had guests wear green wrist bands and ran out after issuing 400.

Fleck was clearly pleased. He shot a video thanking the fans, which the Gophers quickly blasted over social media.

"Next Tuesday's practice is also open, so grab four of your friends, or grab your family and show them what the Gopher culture is all about," Fleck said.

Coughlin on the edge

When the Gophers break into position drills, the linebackers get together, and Carter Coughlin works separately in a group with Tai'yon Devers and Trenton Guthrie. They play the 'R' position, rushing off the edge.

"You talk about selfless people," Fleck said. "Carter is a linebacker, and he knows for him to get on the field and Kamal [Martin] to get on the field, and [Jon] Celestin and Jaylen [Waters], we all have to sacrifice a little bit.

"The 'R' is a fun role — rush end — because you do so much. You're not just rushing straight up the field. You are stunting. You are covering. You are dropping into man-on-man. You are dropping into a zone. You are standing up. Your hand is on the ground. There are a ton of things that they have to do."

Etc.

• Offensive lineman Quinn Oseland limped off the field Saturday because of a left knee injury. "He's going to be out a few weeks here, but he's going to heal up nicely," Fleck said.

• Senior tight end Brandon Lingen is working his way back from foot surgery. "The one thing about that injury is if you come back too quick, you could be right back to step one that quickly," Fleck said.

http://www.startribune.com/fleck-so...399523/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

So, 3 DL & 4 LB. Not a 2-4.
One LB rushes some, drops back some, etc. Sounds familiar to me.

*3-4. Tapatalk won't let me edit.

Last year I thought we would start out in a 3-4, then rush with a LB'R or two? We never put Devers or other DE's in a pass defending situation last year did we?

Who was the DB with an INT - Calvin Swenson? I swear this is the first time I've ever heard the name. I see on the roster he's from Wisconsin. Is he a scholarship player or a walk-on?

Other thought - Tyler Johnson could be a good fit for Fleck's offense. Would be fun to see them hit him with a lot of quick slants and see what he could do in space. That was one of his strengths in HS - maneuvering in traffic.

Per PP:

Under P.J. Fleck, a former wide receiver turned Gophers head coach, Minnesota receivers must learn all spots within the group, from split end to slot.

Fleck wants position flexibility, and he has seen sophomore Tyler Johnson rise above through the first six spring practices. Johnson’s leaping catch of a deep ball from quarterback Conor Rhoda and his fluidity to reel in a grab on a crossing route had fans talking during Tuesday’s open-to-the-public session at the Gibson Nagurski Football Complex.

Fleck also had something to say about Johnson when asked about the position’s progress.

“TJ is doing a tremendous job,” Fleck said. “He is starting to separate himself a little bit with his work ethic. … His discipline to learn every position and learn every route.”

Out of Minneapolis North, Johnson caught three passes, each for first downs, in the 2016 season opener against Oregon State and finished the year with 14 catches for 141 yards and a touchdown.

Fleck also mentioned senior Eric Carter’s work ethic and Rashad Still’s potential. Carter, a senior, had nine catches for 125 yards and Still, a junior, had 18 receptions for 349 yards in 2016.

“Still, he’s got to continue to get better, and he’s got to mature more as he continues to go,” Fleck said of Still. “How to be able to fight through the adversity, how to be able to work at an elite level, not just at a good level.”

By fast, I didn't mean number of plays, I just meant that the offense would be more in sync and guys would be faster in what they are doing. Probably didn't use the right word there.

Gotcha, thanks. All for more speed on offense too. Think Gophs can show that more with the more timed short pass scheme Fleck runs...love to see that out of a two back set...get Brooks out in space and let him loose.

Was it just me, or does it look like Tanner is MAYBE 6 feet (not 6'2" as listed). Demry and Conor looked to tower over him side-by-side.

I have seen it reported that he is much shorter than listed. Maybe not as much as Clint Brewster was, but still much overstated.

I have seen it reported that he is much shorter than listed. Maybe not as much as Clint Brewster was, but still much overstated.

His stature alone is going to make it tough for him to get on the field early. Tough to adjust to the speed difference between P5 and high school if you can't see downfield. Fingers crossed he's still growing.

I love having access to practice and hope it continues. Thus I think we should follow the rules. So the rule says, "no posting comments re practice info (specific players, plays, injuries etc.) on the internet or any social media.

I know, I'm a dick and I used to be a hall monitor

There are the pay site guys listing extensive practice details, Burns on his podcast, etc. if you think opposing coaches are getting anything valuable from those sites or posts here you're nuts. Let's use some common sense. Plenty of game tape on Ciarrocas offense and tendencies. The usual gamesmanship regarding injuries...can't imagine that matters in the spring or even the summer. Game week, yeah a little.

Attended practice yesterday after not thinking I would be able to.
Some positive observations:
- They asked you to fill out a form upon arriving. By the time I got home, they had sent an email thanking me for attending with a video from PJF. Didn't JK do something similar?
- Practice pace was very quick. Very little or no down time between drills. Short time in drill segments with lots of reps. Very well organized as they went from ind. drills, to team work, to special teams, back to team, then more ind. drills etc.
- More focused on getting reps out on the field and doing things at a high tempo than on correcting mistakes. The coaches would coach them up, but the drills would continue for the others. PJF moved around, praised players on effort, encouraged them, got after a few (would disagree that he or Simon weren't concerned about drops as they both got after a few of the WR's when they had drops, just called them over to talk with them about it, also heard him "get after" a few coaches because their groups weren't getting in enough reps during some of the drills.)
- Liked what they were doing offensively. Passing game looks better designed than what we saw from Limey/Johnson. There are some receivers who are going to be good in that offense. Rodney and Shannon should also be big contributors in the passing offense. The run game that they were working on yesterday looked a little different in scheme. Yes they had some RUTM plays, but they also had outside runs as well. Didn't see any power type plays that Limey and Johnson went to often. Could be because they were only working on a few things.
- Defense looked similar to the past few years as far as speed and athleticism. Can't wait to see what they do with the wealth of talent at LB and how they incorporate them into the scheme. DB's looked good, especially the front line guys now.
- Music playing all the time. Had me wondering if the DJ made the playlist to coincide with the practice drills or if the players submitted requests for that days practice.

The new athletes village is coming along well. The Indoor practice field will be much larger than they one they have now and the football training area is also a very big structure. Also, will be really nice for them to have a cafeteria for the athletes to eat in. That way the team won't have to eat their meals in the lobby like they do now. It was Mexican. :) Hope none of this gets me banned from future practices.

Wish games were starting up soon. Ski-U-Mah.

- They asked you to fill out a form upon arriving. By the time I got home, they had sent an email thanking me for attending with a video from PJF. Didn't JK do something similar?
- Practice pace was very quick. Very little or no down time between drills. Short time in drill segments with lots of reps. Very well organized as they went from ind. drills, to team work, to special teams, back to team, then more ind. drills etc.
- More focused on getting reps out on the field and doing things at a high tempo than on correcting mistakes. The coaches would coach them up, but the drills would continue for the others. PJF moved around, praised players on effort, encouraged them, got after a few (would disagree that he or Simon weren't concerned about drops as they both got after a few of the WR's when they had drops, just called them over to talk with them about it, also heard him "get after" a few coaches because their groups weren't getting in enough reps during some of the drills.)
- Liked what they were doing offensively. Passing game looks better designed than what we saw from Limey/Johnson. There are some receivers who are going to be good in that offense. Rodney and Shannon should also be big contributors in the passing offense. The run game that they were working on yesterday looked a little different in scheme. Yes they had some RUTM plays, but they also had outside runs as well. Didn't see any power type plays that Limey and Johnson went to often. Could be because they were only working on a few things.
- Defense looked similar to the past few years as far as speed and athleticism. Can't wait to see what they do with the wealth of talent at LB and how they incorporate them into the scheme. DB's looked good, especially the front line guys now.
- Music playing all the time. Had me wondering if the DJ made the playlist to coincided with the practice drills or if the players submitted requests for that days practice.

The new athletes village is coming along well. The Indoor practice field will be much larger than they one they have now and the football training area is also a very big structure. Also, will be really nice for them to have a cafeteria for the athletes to eat in. That way the team won't have to eat their meals in the lobby like they do now. It was Mexican. :) Hope none of this gets me banned from future practices.

Great summary, thanks. Sounds like with the run game they might be initially working on what's different...getting them comfortable with those pieces first.

There are the pay site guys listing extensive practice details, Burns on his podcast, etc. if you think opposing coaches are getting anything valuable from those sites or posts here you're nuts. Let's use some common sense. Plenty of game tape on Ciarrocas offense and tendencies. The usual gamesmanship regarding injuries...can't imagine that matters in the spring or even the summer. Game week, yeah a little.

Then why do they make this rule?

- Music playing all the time. Had me wondering if the DJ made the playlist to coincide with the practice drills or if the players submitted requests for that days practice.

After watching the Cotton Bowl it seem the power schemes, pulling guards, fullbacks are going away. We will be a quick hitter passing offense utilizing a lot of RPO, short to intermediate stuff, screens, slants, curls, outs, etc The inside zone will be the dominant run play and depending on the QB we may see some read option QB runs. I hope we utilize the kryptonite of Big Ten defenses last year (including ours) the RB or QB draw. Also...the jet sweep (Wisconsin, anyone? We knew it was coming).

I should add I hope Ciarroccas offense is ready for the big time. Despite a month to prepare and a roster peppered with NFL players they put up 280 yards on Wisconsin. That's 6 yards less than we did. Maybe incorporating some spread-scheme power, counter, reverse option, etc wouldn't be a bad idea.

I should add I hope Ciarroccas offense is ready for the big time. Despite a month to prepare and a roster peppered with NFL players they put up 280 yards on Wisconsin. That's 6 yards less than we did. Maybe incorporating some spread-scheme power, counter, reverse option, etc wouldn't be a bad idea.

Fleck's got better talent here, and I think based on his limited post-practice comments, that is apparent to him IMHO. All comes down to passing success, obviously. Don't really see the read option as a part of the offensive scheme...doesn't really rely on dedicated plays designed for the QB to run the ball.

After watching the Cotton Bowl it seem the power schemes, pulling guards, fullbacks are going away. We will be a quick hitter passing offense utilizing a lot of RPO, short to intermediate stuff, screens, slants, curls, outs, etc The inside zone will be the dominant run play and depending on the QB we may see some read option QB runs. I hope we utilize the kryptonite of Big Ten defenses last year (including ours) the RB or QB draw. Also...the jet sweep (Wisconsin, anyone? We knew it was coming).

Hope so. The one thing that bothered me about the Johnson offense last year is we always played with a TE. We never went to 4 wide sets and tried to really spread the field.

Hope so. The one thing that bothered me about the Johnson offense last year is we always played with a TE. We never went to 4 wide sets and tried to really spread the field.

To be honest, if we didn't have a threat to run (using a Tight End) we weren't moving the ball. 4 receivers would only be more to confuse Mitch.

Thanks!

What is your point? Wisconsin had a month to prepare for stopping WMU's offense also. Wisconsin only needed one half of one game to figure out how to stop us. I could claim that Ciarroccas did better since his QB didn't throw 4 picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is your point? Wisconsin had a month to prepare for stopping WMU's offense also. <b>Wisconsin only needed one half of one game to figure out how to stop us. </b>I could claim that Ciarroccas did better since his QB didn't throw 4 picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So WI didn't have time prior to our game with them (that was played on the final week of the season) to prepare? Settle Down, PE wasn't ripping on the new coaches. You Flecksters are so sensitive.

Top Bottom