All Things 2017 Gophers Spring Football Elite Thread (Tweets, Links, Analysis & More)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
All Things 2017 Gophers Spring Football Elite Thread (Tweets, Links, Analysis & More)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

The ride has started. Row the Boat!

No Winfield Jr. today:

Go Gophers!!

What does #HYPRR stand for? Hard for me to keep up.

What does #HYPRR stand for? Hard for me to keep up.
Don't ask, the explaination only makes it more confusing. There was a thread on it a little while back.

Go Gophers!!

"theballtheballtheballtheballtheball" - Coach Fleck

Also liked his talk to the receivers about how a ball on the ground is unacceptable. If it's thrown to you, and you can get your hands on it, you better catch it. I'm sure this happened before, but it's nice to see the head coach holding the receivers to a higher level than we were aware of before (not saying it didn't happen, just saying we weren't aware of it if it did)

EDIT:
FYI it's also on the gopher sports youtube, which has a better quality video:

I think it is Tyler Johnson that has the wrestling match and loses the ball.
I think it is Rashad Still who has scary freaking receiving skills.
I think it is Jacob Huff who makes the helluva of job kiddo play

I think it is Tyler Johnson that has the wrestling match and loses the ball.
I think it is Rashad Still who has scary freaking receiving skills.
I think it is Jacob Huff who makes the helluva of job kiddo play

Also believe he is talking about Hmielewski at one point ... "pretty elite job, ok, kid plays baseball."

Also liked his talk to the receivers about how a ball on the ground is unacceptable. If it's thrown to you, and you can get your hands on it, you better catch it. I'm sure this happened before, but it's nice to see the head coach holding the receivers to a higher level than we were aware of before (not saying it didn't happen, just saying we weren't aware of it if it did)

What coaching staff in the entire country would not preach the same exact thing? Everyone wants receivers to catch the balls that are within their reach. To say you weren't aware if the previous coaching staff did that is a preposterous statement. I'm guessing that part of the reason that Melvin Holland Jr. did not get much time at receiver the past few years is because he could not catch the ball with any consistency. He was held accountable.
This is what bothers me about the switch to PJF. For some on here, when things like the video are posted, they gush over how great PJF is, when he is doing the same exact thing that every single football program in the country from PeeWee ball through the NFL is doing.
It's football. The coaches who can get their team to block and tackle better, throw and catch the ball better and have great special teams are going to win. Everyone is trying to do the same thing albeit a little differently when it comes to enthusiasm and how they handle the good and bad that occurs in practice.

What coaching staff in the entire country would not preach the same exact thing? Everyone wants receivers to catch the balls that are within their reach. To say you weren't aware if the previous coaching staff did that is a preposterous statement. I'm guessing that part of the reason that Melvin Holland Jr. did not get much time at receiver the past few years is because he could not catch the ball with any consistency. He was held accountable.
This is what bothers me about the switch to PJF. For some on here, when things like the video are posted, they gush over how great PJF is, when he is doing the same exact thing that every single football program in the country from PeeWee ball through the NFL is doing.

It's football. The coaches who can get their team to block and tackle better, throw and catch the ball better and have great special teams are going to win. Everyone is trying to do the same thing albeit a little differently when it comes to enthusiasm and how they handle the good and bad that occurs in practice.

Alert the Common Man, we have an early leader for the PST

Taji34,

You get what you emphasize. If that's true there was never an emphasis from Kill/Claeys on holding WR's or TE's accountable for catching the ball, possible with last staff, positioning, blocking, etc.. could have been bigger emphasis. I think that people are holding out hope that a guy who had mediocre athletic ability and still managed to work himself onto an NFL team as a receiver MIGHT be able to help coach up that position. It may come at the expense of lack of emphasis somewhere else, but it's definitely been a need for this program.

You understand these videos aren't for you and me right? He's recruiting 3 million twin cities people that aren't showing up for games and trying to turn them into Gopher fans. Many of which have never seen or participated in a football practice.

It's also ok to like this video without implying jerry/Tracey didn't do it.

You understand these videos aren't for you and me right? He's recruiting 3 million twin cities people that aren't showing up for games and trying to turn them into Gopher fans. Many of which have never seen or participated in a football practice.

It's also ok to like this video without implying jerry/Tracey didn't do it.

Yes.
I liked the video. He certainly moves around quite a bit and is constantly talking. In the Claeys year, he didn't do that, but there were others on staff who were doing the constant talking and moving around during practice. With Kill, he was similar to Fleck in his talking, but he didn't move around like Fleck.
My point to the post was, Fleck is not unique in the football coaching profession. Nothing he is doing is revolutionary. If his methods were completely different from every other program in the country and he was successful with that approach, everybody would be trying to emulate it. He has a different style than Claeys and to a certain extent also Kill. I liked what Kill and Claeys did while here. I like what I have seen from Fleck so far.

Yes.
I liked the video. He certainly moves around quite a bit and is constantly talking. In the Claeys year, he didn't do that, but there were others on staff who were doing the constant talking and moving around during practice. With Kill, he was similar to Fleck in his talking, but he didn't move around like Fleck.
My point to the post was, Fleck is not unique in the football coaching profession. Nothing he is doing is revolutionary. If his methods were completely different from every other program in the country and he was successful with that approach, everybody would be trying to emulate it. He has a different style than Claeys and to a certain extent also Kill. I liked what Kill and Claeys did while here. I like what I have seen from Fleck so far.

So you're just talking out loud? Cause literally no one is claiming this is revolutionary. Especially not the reply you quoted, which went out of its way to say it wasn't revolutionary...

I was replying to the part where he said he wasn't aware of the previous staff doing that.

I was replying to the part where he said he wasn't aware of the previous staff doing that.

Right, but I also never claimed that they weren't, just that I wasn't aware of it. Is it bad for me to comment on something that I personally didn't see prior that I am seeing now? All I was commenting on was that I liked seeing it as a focus from the head coach, especially with our overall mediocre WR corp these past few years. Not everyone on this forum is a football expert, and thus take things the way they see them.

2017 SPRING PREVIEW: LINEBACKERS

March 9, 2017

Minnesota has twelve linebackers on its spring practice roster and 10 of the twelve have seen game action. The group, which is coached by defensive coordinator Robb Smith, is the deepest on defense and could be considered the greatest overall strength that Minnesota has on its roster. Smith will certainly have options at the position in the fall.

The most tenured of the backers is Cody Poock, who will be a redshirt senior in the fall. Poock, who has battled injuries during his career, has the potential to be a difference maker for the Gophers. He has played in 19 career games and has tallied 123 tackles, which includes 69 solo stops. Poock has started 14 games for the Gophers, but missed six games last season with an injury.

Jonathan Celestin enters his final year in the Maroon and Gold after a breakout junior season in which he finished second on the team in tackles with 80. The Jonesboro, Ga., native has played in 37 career games with 13 starts. He has 139 career tackles (90 solo tackles) and has also made 14 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. Celestin has broken up five career passes and has also forced three fumbles for the Gophers.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030917aab.html

So you're just talking out loud? Cause literally no one is claiming this is revolutionary. Especially not the reply you quoted, which went out of its way to say it wasn't revolutionary...

You haven't been paying attention. People have been getting on their figurative knees, hard, and swallowing everything he gives them while begging for more.

Top Bottom